IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

I know we've seen this before but it still bothers me. From an article on Blabbermouth with Bjorn: "We wanna create music that we think is sort of missing out there or that feels challenging..." If this is the music they enjoying making and playing, whatever. But don't say that it is challenging or that it's missing out there because that is just not true.

Reactions: eochaid
I know we've seen this before but it still bothers me. From an article on Blabbermouth with Bjorn: "We wanna create music that we think is sort of missing out there or that feels challenging..." If this is the music they enjoying making and playing, whatever. But don't say that it is challenging or that it's missing out there because that is just not true.

Honestly he and Anders come out with so much shit these days regarding their music that I pay it no attention. I don't know if the pair of them are trolling or just deluded, but if they think they are making challenging or original stuff then I despair. They haven't done that since Clayman. They aren't great musicians. Arguably they have always taken huge influence from other genres to create their own music, but back in the 90s they were throwing genuinely new stuff in and giving people something they had never heard before. It blew people's minds and that's why they ended up with such a hardcore fanbase.

Nowadays? They're just boring, middle-aged men living off past glories. Sorry to be harsh but that's the bitter truth for me. If they stopped making music today the music industry wouldn't be losing anything.

YT stats:

IF - The End, 1 106 000 views, 10k likes (sep 2016)
IF - The Truth, 470 000 views, 4k likes (sep 2016)

DT - Atoma, 1 003 000 views, 12k likes (oct 2016)
DT - Forward momentum, 1 015 000 views, 13k likes (oct 2016)

And Atoma and FM are not even among the best songs of the Atoma album.

So yes, IF are becoming less relevant with every new album, and they are living off past glory and fanbase crazy enough to keep buying tickets for their live shows.

Honestly he and Anders come out with so much shit these days regarding their music that I pay it no attention.

Björn once said their older albums suffered from bad production and that "sometimes it sounded all muddled" or something like that. (If he was thinking of Reroute--fair enough, but that album is often considered the beginning of "new In Flames" so somehow I thought he meant the 90's stuff instead.) However, I never thought the older albums had particularly bad production. Unlike ASOP and Battles for instance... and I'm definitely not among the first ones to start bitching about "bad sounds" or production. When I was a kid we were mostly still listening from cassette tapes. :D

Last edited:
Björn once said their older albums suffered from bad production and that "sometimes it sounded all muddled" or something like that. (If he was thinking of Reroute--fair enough, but that album is often considered the beginning of "new In Flames" so somehow I thought he meant the 90's stuff instead.) However, I never thought the older albums had particularly bad production. Unlike ASOP and Battles for instance... and I'm definitely not among the first ones to start bitching about "bad sounds" or production. When I was a kid we were mostly still listening from cassette tapes. :D

It depends on what Bjorn's definition of "bad" is. I'd say the production suits TJR & Whoracle perfectly, and I don't know if anybody could say with a straight face that the production on Colony or Clayman is bad. They're two of the best sounding metal albums I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. As you say, Reroute was awful and frankly STYE wasn't a whole lot better. If he's talking about those then fine, but otherwise it's just more nonsense.

Put crystal clear production on TJR or Whoracle and they both lose something special, imo. Somebody needs to remind Bjorn and Anders that it isn't all about perfect production, it's about the heart that beats at the core of the music itself. Authentic, good music shines through even if the production isn't perfect, but no amount of production work can make hollow, soulless pop music sound worthwhile.

I dug up the interview. First he said "if you listen to Whoracle or STYE for example you can notice they're of a bit low quality, production-wise." And shortly after that he said "The old albums sounded like porridge, you couldn't always tell what's going on. But on Siren Charms you can hear all the instruments clearly."

Ok, I can sort of understand the first statement. Whoracle's production is a bit raw, but it suits the album as you said. The second statement, however, I find very strange. Maybe something was lost in translation, maybe Björn doesn't remember how great production Colony and Clayman had or maybe he just wanted to distance himself from those albums by pissing on them, I do not know. At any rate, saying stuff like"the old albums sounded bad" simply doesn't make any sense.

Btw, in the same interview he mentioned an old gig in the 90's in Germany near the Polish border. The audience was largely made of local Neo-Nazis. During the gig a heavily drunken man climbed onstage, screamed some shit and passed out on Björn's drum kit knocking down the cymbals. :)

I dont like music videos that doesnt include band members actually. Seems so pointless and not interesting.
I'm the opposite. I don't really care about seeing the band pretend to play the music. I'd rather see something experimental or a short story or something that relates to the song. Like, cool, you're playing in a dark castle. That adds what to the song?

I thought the Cloud Connected and Trigger videos were cool. OFTW vid was low budget and a bit try hard. Ordinary Story vid was interesting. I don't remember any N'Flaymz vids after 2002 worth watching.

I caught up with a friend who went to the Download festival today - it was the first time they'd seen In Flames. First comment was "does the singer always sound that bad?"

If they are, then they'd even make a gig in my garden.

So lame, 3 years in a row now and not even a festival appearance. S1 go with me to Austria! :(

Interesting. I wonder why it is unlisted.
2ohDQ3o.jpg

I really like the video. I like it a lot, but man, the drums. I had forgotten how badly mixed and mastered they were.

Last edited: