IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

I agree. I think anybody trying to convince themselves this is way different from Battles is making themselves hear more than there really is. Riffing and vocals are a little more aggressive, yes, but it's still the basic Battles template. Choruses could all have come straight off Battles, ditto for the solos. I'm yet to hear anything original or different.

Reactions: eochaid
I already predict that the record will get 7s or 8s here in the modern IF scale, being praised as "much better than Battles", "this is how Battles should've sounded like", "this production would've been so neat on SC", and then after 2 months everyone forgets about it, and pretty much only remembers SC as their latest record. It's just not exciting at all, even if overall it's been between not bad and good.
Yeah, it’s like their first 2.0 album ever. But I could also see fans viewing it as their first real metal album since SOAPF and just skipping SC and Battles from now on.

Classic In Flames - Up to Clayman
New In Flames - Reroute to ASOP
Modern In Flames - SOAPF, I The Mask

I don’t think this has strayed from the Battles template. They’re still working with the same producer, so I didn’t expect anything wildly different. So far, with the exception of “House”, I just think the new songs are substantially better than anything off the previous album, and I consider them as good as your typical In Flames song. I also like the chorus melodies this time, while I didn’t like them on Battles. That’s just subjective though.

I’m personally not trying to convince myself to like what I’ve heard, lol.

It’s probably not their first 2.0 album, I’d say. I always considered Whoracle to be TJR 2.0, Clayman to be Colony 2.0, and ASOP to be CC 2.0.

Reactions: Vermyn
The main thing for me is that I don’t want to see anyone on the writing team for this album that isn’t Anders, Bjorn, Niclas, Bryce, Joe, or Tanner. New guys, old guys, generic American names or whatever. As long as it’s JUST the band.

I can be okay with a bad album. I just won’t listen to it much. I’m not okay with an album that was written by people not in the band. That’s what irked me most about Battles.

If I see Five Finger Death Punch in the credits for this album imma take back the good things I have said.

Reactions: Ilias7
"Like Sand"
  • Fridén
  • Gelotte
  • Engelin
  • Sean Bowe
  • Lenny Skolnik
  • Bob Marlette
You definitely need a shit ton of people to write an epic like that.

I highly disagree with Colony-Clayman and ASOP-CC comparisons. Sure, we can find In Flames in TJR and SC as well, but you need much more than that to be classified as a 2.0. Whoracle is definitely one, but I think it's somewhat ignored because TJR has that unrepeatable energy and aspiration which no later releases can match. Partially because they all became better musicians all around, and with Whoracle you can actually hear they worked on creating a good flowing record from start to finish, while TJR is like "fuck you, we are In Flames, we wrote these songs, and fuck you again".

I don't want to see anyone else working on their records who is either not an old-school, Swedish MDM musician, or a talent who has already showed signs of aspirations. You know, right now, Bryce is a faceless nobody I couldn't give a flying fuck for. The only reason he and the other American fellers are there because they are cool guys on the read. I mean, you really don't need any other reason to bring someone to tour with you, but it's jackshit when it comes to studio work.

I also disagree with the same producer = nearly same product. They had the same producer for their first 4 records, and aside from TJR/Whoracle, they all sounded fresh and different enough. Even Linkin Park's first two records were day and night, despite having the same, typical, "I know how to make nu metal albums and nothing more" producer.

I don’t agree with any of those 2.0 comparisons, especially TJR and Whoracle. The style, sound, song structures were all very different. Yes, it was a progression, but absolutely not just a revisited second take.

The most similar albums in terms of consecutive releases are definitely TJR/Whoracle and Colony/Clayman. Not sure I'd call Whoracle or Clayman "2.0" albums, they just carried on the same kind of sound as their predecessors.

After that it's pretty much been all over the place. I don't see ASOP as anything close to CC, but I do see SOAPF carrying on the ASOP sound but making it much, much better.

In this case, I usually consider 2.0 to mean an iteration on the previous album. While Whoracle, Clayman, and ASOP don’t technically sound like their predecessors, I believe that they play with the same basic sound, with different results (IMO Whoracle is much like TJR but punchier and more focused, Clayman is like a more toned-down but more diverse/experimental Colony, and ASOP is a lighter but more wistful and melodic CC). But I think the CC/ASOP comparison is probably just unique to me. I guess it’s less that they’re 2.0s and more that they’re musical sequels.

And yeah, @Jester Slave, I get what you mean about not really wanting the new members to contribute for the reasons you stated. I basically agree with that on principle, but at the same time, I personally want to see an album put out by In Flames as it exists in whatever year it happens to be. Bjorn was writing for IF as soon as he joined in ‘95. I’ve been pretty happy with his work since. Who knows, maybe the new guys have some intwresting ideas too. Hard to say right now.

If the lineup is Mikael/Glenn/Carl/Johan/Jesper, so be it, give me your best shot. If it’s Anders/Bjorn/Niclas/Bryce/Joe, alright, go ahead, impress me. To me it’s like, let the cards fall where they may. So far, they’ve batted 2 for 3 with this album. I’m pretty content with this lineup’s output this time, so for me they’ve risen to the challenge.

But that’s, again, different for everyone.

I also disagree with the same producer = nearly same product. They had the same producer for their first 4 records, and aside from TJR/Whoracle

The thing is that they let this specific producer get way too much involved. They used to be protective with their work, but now Benson gets a say in the writing process and not just in general arrangements.

So far, I get a mixed ASOP and SOAPF vibe from these new songs, just with a better production and adjusted to the style of Battles.

Yeah, it’s like their first 2.0 album ever. But I could also see fans viewing it as their first real metal album since SOAPF and just skipping SC and Battles from now on.

Classic In Flames - Up to Clayman
New In Flames - Reroute to ASOP
Modern In Flames - SOAPF, I The Mask
I've always thought of Clayman as kind of Colony 2.0, I think they're very similar sounding.

Reactions: Ilias7 and eochaid
Colony is quite raw and powerful, whereas Clayman sounds more polished and controlled. They're both going for the same sound but there's a distinct difference between the two as well. Anders' vocals especially are far stronger on Colony. He sounds ill on Clayman, although weirdly it still works.

When I think about two consecutive albums with a more similar sounding colony and clayman always comes to mind. I also see this new album, so far, as battles 2.0. Just, lime Anders said, a little heavier and with some screams on it.

It's something like: we achieved this with colony now we're going a step further with clayman.

The thing is that they let this specific producer get way too much involved. They used to be protective with their work, but now Benson gets a say in the writing process and not just in general arrangements.

So far, I get a mixed ASOP and SOAPF vibe from these new songs, just with a better production and adjusted to the style of Battles.

Yes, on Battles Benson and the co-producers were heavily involved, but wasn't there an interview with Anders where he said on the upcoming one it was mainly just Björn and him, with Benson only dropping the occasional idea every now and then? Not sure but I think I heard a quote like "we didn't want that many chefs in the kitchen this time" from Anders.

Okay, song structures may be similar, which may or may not be due to Howard Benson, and lets pretend House doesn't exist, But I Am Above, I, The Mask and Voices represent the best work this side of >SoaPF<. I think we'll finally get a worthy sucessor to that album, even though it 100% will NOT be as good.

There is a considerable difference between the way >Battles< and >I, The Mask< songs have had their verse arrangements written, and the riffage (while signature IF to the point of plagerising their own work in some peoples eyes) is much much more intense, heavy, and better thought out than on Battles. The End and Us Against The World aside, there are no songs on battles that keep pace with the main riff throughout its entire run time.

I, The Mask (song) has the same fast paced drumming and some more riffing (great riffing btw) in the chorus like does in the verses until it reaches the "breakdown" in the middle of the song and then it picks right back up again to the same fast speed. Voices keeps its relentless steamrolling groove going throughout the whole thing, and I Am Above for the most part does too. >Battles< always slowed down to half time during verses or choruses and the mix faded away from the instrumentation to let Anders' heavily autotuned vocals (Another thing there is less of, but it is still there at times. look at the chorus of Voices, the way he uses his voice at the end of the sentences, that is good vocal technique, and not autotuned at all) shine through (see Through My Eyes or Underneath My Skin) and the song took a turn from a seemingly heavy song with poor production to mainstream leaning bullshit that is highly forgettable. Seriously, Here Until Forever is the only song to really not fit this mould and have it's own identity on the record in a memorable way.

This new album may keep more upbeat and clean choruses, but the speed is there. The drumming is nothing spectacular but it keeps a strong pace and intensity instead of simply keeping time. The guitar work aside from solos IS the best since >SoaPF< and not to mention the tracks are he most guitar driven since that era too. The production is the best since >SoaPF< because of the decent guitar tone, no overbearing focus on vocals, and no randomly louder or quieter bits. Bass could do with a clearer tone/higher volume though #BringBackPetersDistortedBassTones. Furthermore, the 'feel' of the album, far removed from the depressive melancholy of >SC< (which I do like, in a way) and commercial bubblegum happiness of >Battles<, feels suitably moody similar to >SoaPF< but in a way that adds to the songs. We'll see how my opinion on this changes as we hear more songs, but frankly at this point I can't see any way it can be even compared to Battles in terms of quality.

EDIT: Sorry for the Jester Slave level of lengthy post ;)
EDIT 2: Better? ;)

Last edited:
Not sure but I think I heard a quote like "we didn't want that many chefs in the kitchen this time" from Anders.

Oh, I thought thas was about whether or not Niclas, Bryce and Tanner/Joe brought something to the table. I don't know.

From NB website, regarding I, The Mask:
“For »Battles« I wrote a lot of the material at home first but for this one, Anders and I really wanted to just get in a room together and see where it would take us,”Gelotte explains, adding that Benson would frequently drop by and act as a filter for their creativity.
And:
We've never been the type of band who likes to show-off but we like to have fun making music and working with Howard [Benson] was one of the first times where we actually listened to someone from the outside – and I think it was his first time working with a band like us, too,”

Certainly, Benson has a more active role than previous producers. I'm not sure though what it means that he acted as a filter to Anders' and Björn's creativity. Does it mean that he decides what's good for the album and what's not?

Reactions: Pallbearer
Oh, I thought thas was about whether or not Niclas, Bryce and Tanner/Joe brought something to the table. I don't know.

“For »Battles« I wrote a lot of the material at home first but for this one, Anders and I really wanted to just get in a room together and see where it would take us,”Gelotte explains, adding that Benson would frequently drop by and act as a filter for their creativity.
And:
We've never been the type of band who likes to show-off but we like to have fun making music and working with Howard [Benson] was one of the first times where we actually listened to someone from the outside – and I think it was his first time working with a band like us, too,”

Certainly, Benson has a more active role than previous producers. I'm not sure though what it means that he acted as a filter to Anders' and Björn's creativity. Does it mean that he decides what's good for the album and what's not?

Acting as a filter for creativity is fine, and it’s what I would expect out of a producer. If some idea won’t work in the mix, no matter how good it sounds on paper, there needs to be a mediator to call that out. A producer shouldn’t write the music, but he should try to keep the band on track and find the best way to appropriate the band’s music into a finished product.

So it sounds like Benson played more of a Nordstrom/Laghi role this time.

If this album is just Anders and Bjorn, that’s good enough for me. That team brought me Siren Charms. I’ll take another.

And:

You listen to the choruses of the last two songs and clearly see that's Benson influence.

Reactions: TheJestersDoor