IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

Okay, song structures may be similar, which may or may not be due to Howard Benson, and lets pretend House doesn't exist, But I Am Above, I, The Mask and Voices represent the best work this side of >SoaPF<. I think we'll finally get a worthy sucessor to that album, even though it 100% will NOT be as good. There is a considerable difference between the way >Battles< and >I, The Mask< songs have had their verse arrangements written, and the riffage (while signature IF to the point of plagerising their own work in some peoples eyes) is much much more intense, heavy, and better thought out than on Battles. The End and Us Against The World aside, there are no songs on battles that keep pace with the main riff throughout its entire run time. I, The Mask (song) has the same fast paced drumming and some more riffing (great riffing btw) in the chorus like does in the verses until it reaches the "breakdown" in the middle of the song and then it picks right back up again to the same fast speed. Voices keeps its relentless steamrolling groove going throughout the whole thing, and I Am Above for the most part does too. >Battles< always slowed down to half time during verses or choruses and the mix faded away from the instrumentation to let Anders' heavily autotuned vocals (Another thing there is less of, but it is still there at times. look at the chorus of Voices, the way he uses his voice at the end of the sentences, that is good vocal technique, and not autotuned at all) shine through (see Through My Eyes or Underneath My Skin) and the song took a turn from a seemingly heavy song with poor production to mainstream leaning bullshit that is highly forgettable. Seriously, Here Until Forever is the only song to really not fit this mould and have it's own identity on the record in a memorable way. This new album may keep more upbeat and clean choruses, but the speed is there. The drumming is nothing spectacular but it keeps a strong pace and intensity instead of simply keeping time. The guitar work aside from solos IS the best since >SoaPF< and not to mention the tracks are he most guitar driven since that era too. The production is the best since >SoaPF< because of the decent guitar tone, no overbearing focus on vocals, and no randomly louder or quieter bits. Bass could do with a clearer tone/higher volume though #BringBackPetersDistortedBassTones. Furthermore, the 'feel' of the album, far removed from the depressive melancholy of >SC< (which I do like, in a way) and commercial bubblegum happiness of >Battles<, feels suitably moody similar to >SoaPF< but in a way that adds to the songs. We'll see how my opinion on this changes as we hear more songs, but frankly at this point I can't see any way it can be even compared to Battles in terms of quality.

EDIT: Sorry for the Jester Slave level of lengthy post ;)

I agree with the most of your post. I agree that the songs maintain their fast pace and that they are full of riffs in contrast to Battles. Choruses are different too. Everything seems guitar-driven, which I like.

But we can't pretend that House doesn't exist, because it does and it's 100% Battles. Also, the pre-choruses from IAA and ITM remind me of Battles in a way. So do the song-structures.

As I said before, I think this album will be a combination of ASOP, SOAPF and Battles.

Reactions: TheJestersDoor
You listen to the choruses of the last two songs and clearly see that's Benson influence.

Well, there is cool riffing instead of simple power-chords in the choruses and that gives me a different feeling. Only Anders' voice has that Howard Benson effect.

Well, there is cool riffing instead of simple power-chords in the choruses and that gives me a different feeling. Only Anders' voice has that Howard Benson effect.
I am sure that the same happened to the previous album.

I won't deny the structures are similar, I made that clear. I know we can't ignore it, but as I said a few days ago, they mentioned Tanner drummed on that one, and the mixing is VERY different to the other songs, so I reckon that was recorded seperately, either retrieved from a Battles demo and turned into it's own song, or written as a wa to get Tanner on the album. Either way I do not think it will be representative of the album in any form, but if i'm proven wrong, then I will look like an idiot XD

I don't think that the structures have anything to do with the producer. That's their way of making songs from the past albums.

Reactions: Vermyn
I am sure that the same happened to the previous album.

The End, In My Room, Like Sand, Underneath My Skin...simple power-chords in choruses. Even the ones that had some actual riffing during chorus, they weren't as good as IAA, ITM and Voices.
I liked the lead guitar in Drained chorus, though.

The End, In My Room, Like Sand, Underneath My Skin...simple power-chords in choruses. Even the ones that had some actual riffing during chorus, they weren't as good as IAA, ITM and Voices.
I liked the lead guitar in Drained chorus, though.
I was talking about Benson having influence, mainly, in Anders. I'm almost sure that he had little influence in the music. In how Bjorn made the riffs.

Reactions: Ilias7
Oh, I thought thas was about whether or not Niclas, Bryce and Tanner/Joe brought something to the table. I don't know.

I found the interview and you were right, the quote was as follows:

"Anders also talked about the contributions of IN FLAMES' latest additions, American musicians Tanner Wayne (drums) and Bryce Paul (bass). Asked if Wayne and Paul changed the songwriting dynamic in IN FLAMES, Anders said: "No. They are part of the band for sure, but me and Björn [Gelotte, guitar] have been working for three months for this album. We are a strong band, and I think live, everybody comes together. But when it comes to writing, you don't want too many chefs. We've been doing it for such a long time, we know what we want, and we wanna get there as fast as possible, you know what I mean? But they bring a lot to the table, of course — the community, the feeling of the band and everything. So, yeah… [They're] awesome guys.""

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/in...r-oriented-and-slightly-heavier-than-battles/

Maybe the problem with Battles was not enough Howard Benson. Maybe they went halfway and that’s why the sound is weak. For all we know Benson told them to go hard and Anders didn’t believe in him 100%. Maybe this time they all knew they had unfinished business and this indeed the album they wanted the first time.

We keep saying how it seems Bjorn is out of ideas. So the more the merrier.

Well, the chose him from the very beginning as the producer for battles so I don't know whay they would go mild.

I was talking about Benson having influence, mainly, in Anders. I'm almost sure that he had little influence in the music. In how Bjorn made the riffs.

That's true. Another thing that I blame Benson for is that Anders until SC used to record three times most of the choruses and each time hitting a different note or making a slight change. That was making things more interesting for me.
Since Battles, they keep the best recording and copy-paste it whenever is needed. This might be safier, but it also seems lazy and it makes the song a bit monotonous.

That's true. Another thing that I blame Benson for is that Anders until SC used to record three times most of the choruses and each time hitting a different note or making a slight change. That was making things more interesting for me.
Since Battles, they keep the best recording and copy-paste it whenever is needed. This might be safier, but it also seems lazy and it makes the song a bit monotonous.
Hadn't noticed this. I have not spin battles that much. In fact, I deleted it after the third listening.

Reactions: galvanized
It Is true, I noticed it too. Also, let's not talk UK politics, I come here for a break from that shit XD

Pretty sure they’ve always done some form of copy-pasta on their choruses (check out “Minus” and “Metaphor”, or “Leeches” and “The Quiet Place”, and I think “Trigger” and “Dawn of a New Day”). I know it was for sure a conscious decision to make each chorus different on SOAPF and SC, but you can hear the copy paste return on Battles for sure.

I don't know. They've always said that Anders did record the different choruses independently. Though it's a chance that he used to record the background voices only once.