IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

For those of you who like metal core, I filmed a couple of songs from yesterday's Architects show at Wembley

I hear the Moonshield and Borders and Shading comparisons equally, but it's still different enough for me to be its own song

Reactions: Ilias7
"We will never be, you aren't close to me
This is the feeling that I have been waiting for"

This lines keep getting annoyingly stuck in my head. Although more than once I've wondered whether I was remembering a song from Battles or the new album, which I guess points to the similarities between them in terms of clean vocals.

Fanboy much? I know deep down inside you're a member of Anders Manlove Crew too.

2otxZ1o.gif

Reactions: Jester Slave
Is it “aren’t close to me” or “are a ghost to me” ? I have seen both posted and am not sure which one it is.

Admits he has a hard time dealing with criticism. I can get that. he doesn't phrase it very well buts thats probably just his Swenglish

Some speculate about what "I, The Mask" is about.

It is about changing, and not being accepted / recognized for that change. In this case, it is about IF's music. "Who am I? So many faces." - Who's the Jester (In Flames)? They keep changing (many faces) and at times seem unrecognizable. From The Jester Race, to Whoracle, to Come Clarity, ASOP, and Battles.
- "The Jester that wants to be free." - They just want to do what they want with their music, which, again, they should.

"How could you leave me behind?!" - Seen from our (the critic's) perspective whom like the "old" In Flames, but dislike the "new." We didn't like the change, and felt left behind. So, it is about "us."

...However this doesn't mean that people should simply like this change. I personally have not enjoyed IF since around SOAPF, and even that (to me) was not a great album. I am not a fan of their changed sound.

I should clarify though. The guitar work is FINE. What ruined Battles and Siren Charms for ME was the drums in Battles that sounded like midi drums (even if it wasn't actual midi drums), and its outright horrid mixing. Siren Charms was way too soft, and again, the mixing was crap. Get Glenn Fricker to do it for crying out loud, or someone else who knows what the fuck they're doing.

I am Above was good, but...
"I, The Mask" is the first song I've outright loved from the first time I heard it from In Flames since... I don't know in how long.
If "I, The Mask" represents what this album will sound like, I can't help but feeling optimistic about it, and that sure is saying something.

Last edited:
Some speculate about what "I, The Mask" is about.

It is about changing, and not being accepted / recognized for that change. In this case, it is about IF's music. "Who am I? So many faces." - Who's the Jester (In Flames)? They keep changing (many faces) and at times seem unrecognizable. From The Jester Race, to Whoracle, to Come Clarity, ASOP, and Battles.
- "The Jester that wants to be free." - They just want to do what they want with their music, which, again, they should.

"How could you leave me behind?!" - Seen from our (the critic's) perspective whom like the "old" In Flames, but dislike the "new." We didn't like the change, and felt left behind. So, it is about "us."

[...]

"I, The Mask" is the first song I've outright loved from the first time I heard it from In Flames since... I don't know in how long.
If "I, The Mask" represents what this album will sound like, I can't help but feeling optimistic about it, and that sure is saying something.

Yeah, "I, the Mask" is a great song. Not counting Siren Charms — which I love but it's basically a huge tangent, so it's hard to compare it to anything else — it's my favorite IF song since probably Come Clarity.

It's easy to read a lot of the fans' attitudes, and the band's attitudes toward their critics, into their lyrics, and "I, the Mask" is conducive to that. I'm not sure that's what Anders was going for for this one, since I think he said that the album's theme is about how people construct identities for themselves based on what they believe in as a substitute for happiness. You see that it how people define themselves politically and socially, especially on social media. People make caricatures of themselves in that way. Just look at Twitter.

“Instead of being connected we divide ourselves into all of these little groups and if you scratch the surface most people's lives are miserable,” Fridén explains. “I thought about that and how we all carry a mask around and how in our striving to become better, I think we're actually going backwards.”

Source for that, by the way: https://www.nuclearblast.de/en/label/music/band/discography/details/5732618.70926.i-the-mask.html

I think the song is closer to that. Like, we use all of these labels and ideologies to identify ourselves, but where's the person (or jester, huhuhu) underneath all that? Pretty cool theme, I think, and very relevant to what's been going on in the world lately.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ilias7
The anime crew is growing fast in numbers, it almost looks like a takeover.
Next thing you know, this is a One Piece fanforum

I really wish they hadn't stolen/ripped off/borrowed that part from "I'm the Highway" for "I, the Mask". Every time I hear it I expect Anders to start yelling "FORGET THE PROMISED LAND THERE WAS NEVER AN INVITATION"