IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

Anyone listen to the latest Ihsahn record from last year? I always thought his solo stuff was pretty out there but this album is very accessible. Imagine if Opeth was actually progressive instead of the 70s vision of progressive. And a little blacker. That’s what I get from it.

Twin Black Angels is amazing. I can’t stop listening to the acapella section starting at 3:21 ... that high pitched vocal harmony at 3:34 I CANT GET ENOUGH OF, keep rewinding and listening over and over for days.

I read some criticism on AMG saying the riff sounds too much like NIght Flight Orchestra. I mean, I guess it’s that style, but it’s not the main feature of the song. And I personally don’t have an issue with NFO, just don’t super love them like some of you guys.

Last edited:
Imagine if Opeth was actually progressive instead of the 70s vision of progressive.
Today's opeth is more like:

"Hey Mike, do you have a song?"
"Hell no. I've just started four different ones but I gotta keep working on them"
"Don't worry. Just randomly join them together and lets pretend that's some 70s influenced piece".
"Brilliant".

Today's opeth is more like:

"Hey Mike, do you have a song?"
"Hell no. I've just started four different ones but I gotta keep working on them"
"Don't worry. Just randomly join them together and lets pretend that's some 70s influenced piece".
"Brilliant".
To be fair, in the beginning (Orchid, Morningrise) it was like “no I’ve been working on 20 different songs and stuck them altogether into a 12 minute epic!” and it sounded pretty fresh. It’s the 70s stuff that gets me. I just don’t understand that generation of music.

I like some 70s music, though I think that's, in general, overrated. I don't think that Opeth sounds like that at all, but that they do pretend to sound like that.

My favourite time was between balckwater park and deliverance. Still mixed riffs but with some cohesive coherence. Since then they've become boring.

Anyone listen to the latest Ihsahn record from last year? I always thought his solo stuff was pretty out there but this album is very accessible. Imagine if Opeth was actually progressive instead of the 70s vision of progressive. And a little blacker. That’s what I get from it.

Twin Black Angels is amazing. I can’t stop listening to the acapella section starting at 3:21 ... that high pitched vocal harmony at 3:34 I CANT GET ENOUGH OF, keep rewinding and listening over and over for days.

I read some criticism on AMG saying the riff sounds too much like NIght Flight Orchestra. I mean, I guess it’s that style, but it’s not the main feature of the song. And I personally don’t have an issue with NFO, just don’t super love them like some of you guys.

Wow that's really good

I started reading it but it's so boring... The questions I mean. If there's something of interest please show it here.

Most interestingly to me Anders said Howard and If management suggested for Battles they write with outside influence, which Anders said he didn't like, and thinks it suits them better to write alone, so for this one even though it was written in LA, Howard and his team did not write a single riff or hook. Basically IF wrote the album and Howard took control of everything in terms of the recording

Reactions: Ilias7
I personally thought it was one of the better interviews I've read in a long time, very detailed.
Yep. The questions about being in finland and everything were of most interest. Followed by the never made before question about their musical influences.

Most interestingly to me Anders said Howard and If management suggested for Battles they write with outside influence, which Anders said he didn't like, and thinks it suits them better to write alone, so for this one even though it was written in LA, Howard and his team did not write a single riff or hook. Basically IF wrote the album and Howard took control of everything in terms of the recording

GOOD GOOD GOOD

Anders saves In Flames.

Good interview. Gives some perspective on what Anders is thinking. If he is genuine, you can see his metal background is even more hardcore and underground than Bjorn and the other guys. Sounds like he was so deep in the scene that he basically burned out. Like he said, it takes a lot to impress him nowadays because he pretty much heard it all already.

Also really interesting to read that Bjorn has no background in Swedish death metal. Florida metal and that’s it.

Reactions: Ilias7