IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

I'm sorry, but why SOAPF is not considered metal? Sure is less heavy than ASOP, but it's still metal ( if you exclude a couple of songs )

I can understand the change of sound between ASOP and SOAPF you are talking about, though. It was the first time they tried stuff like Deliver Us, Ropes or WTDSD, but it's not rock..."modern" ( more commercial ) melodic metal I would call it.
Most of my friends listen to rock and trust me, there are many songs from SOAPF until Battles era that they are like Cannibal Corpse to them.

If we observe those 3 records via a magnifying glass, we may identify them as still metal, but we all know it's very different, and it's especially easy to hear now with songs from ITM. The guitars on Burn finally RIP. None of that warm bullshit of SOAPF/SC/Battles.

The closest feeling I can describe the sensation of metal IF vs. gay bullshit IF is when the water fucks up your ear, and you can't hear shit, then suddenly it clears out and it's like the top 5 best feelings in the world.

On SOAPF they made a huge style shift in their riffs and guitar work. Kind of like going from RTR to STYE. That’s why to me the better production is almost “wasted” because on that album IF decided not to be normal IF. We got some great songs but we didn’t get to hear what normal IF would have sounded like with that production. Disagree that overall SOAPF is rock. It is metal. But more radio metal. SC is the album where they changed to rock but that is Slave’s favorite...

Reactions: Jester Slave
Now on ITM they sound “normal” again (first time in 10 years) and we are shitting all over them for not being original enough. We are all very confused.

Reactions: Jaymzkrueger
I don't think SC is any more rock than SOAPF. It has the same shitty sound (not production), but not more rock or more metal than SOAPF.

And SC is not my favorite record, I just like it. I think the rockish, less metal sound suits it better than SOAPF or Battles, because it has mainly slow and mellow tracks. Hell, if it wasn't for SOAPF and Battles using the same shitty sound, SC would be even higher on my list, because even if I hate the sound of that guitar, at least it would've been an even more unique, niche record.
Now on ITM they sound “normal” again (first time in 10 years) and we are shitting all over them for not being original enough. We are all very confused.
I mean, you really can't present this as us being impossible to please. I don't think asking for not literally copying your very own tracks, even fro mthe PREVIOUS record is some out of this world expectation.

But sure, if this is what it takes for IF to sound metal again, then so be it. We still have to pinpoint these glaring flaws.

How can you say that when everyone's reaction when SC came out was how different it was. The "sound" is completely different! Guitars are much more stripped back, songs are almost all vocally orientated, song structures are not as good as on SOAPF, and take away EG, WTWE, MITB, it's all so completely out of left field it's nothing life SOAPF.

Reactions: DE4life
I'm not sure what you're all hearing but production wise ITM doesn't sound much different to Battles. Why would it? It's the same studio and producer. Only differences are they've stolen some of their older riffs and Anders is growling a bit more. Any of these choruses could have been on Battles and nobody would have raised an eyebrow. Similarly something like The End would fit on ITM no problem.

How can you say that when everyone's reaction when SC came out was how different it was. The "sound" is completely different! Guitars are much more stripped back, songs are almost all vocally orientated, song structures are not as good as on SOAPF, and take away EG, WTWE, MITB, it's all so completely out of left field it's nothing life SOAPF.
SC, SOAPF and Battles have nearly the same guitar sound, with different productions.

Also, the critics or praises for lyrics, arrangaments and whatnots have nothing to do with how this "rock guitar" sound is just fucking awful and absolutely not "In Flamesish".

I'm not sure what you're all hearing but production wise ITM doesn't sound much different to Battles. Why would it? It's the same studio and producer. Only differences are they've stolen some of their older riffs and Anders is growling a bit more. Any of these choruses could have been on Battles and nobody would have raised an eyebrow. Similarly something like The End would fit on ITM no problem.
The guitar is totes different.

Guitar sounds weak and thin as usual. Just people trying to convince themselves otherwise, as always happens when new stuff comes out.

That aside "I, the Mask" is basically a SOAPF song with Battles production and chorus. 00:15 - 00:27 is pure SOAPF and unsurprisingly also the best part of the song.

Main difference guitar wise between Battles and ITM is that the riffs and chunkier and more regular. There is a ton of dead space in Battles riffs which make the guitars sound really wimpy.

How can you be serious, when the ITM songs, especially this new one, Burn, has fast, energetic riffing all around, while the SOAPF/SC/Battles trio's trademark is slow, drawn out chugging, when you feel like the Milk is going bad in your mouth. It is pretty fucking annoying, especially in 3 records in a row.

Yes, it still has some of that cancer, like that riff during the Burn chorus is very soapf-ish (thus sucks major ass), but the rest is really fun. The breakdown chugging is also the same rockish shit, but meh, overall it's still much better, and IAA doesn't suffer from this for example.

The fact you think SOAPF, SC and Battles somehow sound the same production or riff wise suggests either insanity or hearing problems. They all sound wildly different from each other and they were all mixed at totally different studios.

Honestly though I laugh when anyone starts seriously talking about "the in flames sound". Post 2000 they've rarely sounded similar between a two album period let alone attributing some kind of "sound" to their overall discography. What people usually mean by "In Flames sound" is Anders, as his vocals are admittedly very unique. Sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. Either way, take his vocals out of the mix and do you seriously think someone would listen to Clayman instrumental then STYE and say "yeah, that's the same band" ? Or SOAPF to SC for that matter. Very unlikely unless they already know the band and the album's.

I am talking about the guitars, nothing else. Garbage on SOAPF, garbage on SC and garbage on Battles. Yes, vastly different kind of garbages thanks to the different productions, but being able to choose which way I want to listen to my garbage is not really much of a choice after all, is it? ITM however sounds neat, mostly. And once again, I am talking about the guitars and how they're played, not about the overall production. ASOP could have sounded 10 times better, but the fucking guitars are still playing fast and melodic metal music, and not drawn out, sleep-inducing riffs. These are seperate topics.

You are right about the IF sound, as there is none, but there still is, as little sense it makes. Björn and Anders repeat this fucking mantra about how IF was, is and will always be IF, and they are actually right. It used to be just about the melodies, than later on it was Anders as well.

Anyway, their new tone was really flat and didn't suit them well. Listen to Jotun, Pinball Map, Drifter, In Search for I, Vacuum and Sober and Irrelevant and tell me the guitar play don't sound similar. Not the production, but that trademark energy, which still sounds melodic, not just some death metal crazyness. Then listen to something from SOAPF (except Ropes I guess) and tell me it doesn't sound flat and slow. Similar, sure, but fucking disgusting. I miss those times when their guitars were let loose, and I can finally feel that again with ITM. Not entirely, but not complaining.

I guess Battles is somewhat of an exception, because the guitars were absolutely shafted on that record, except for Wallflower. Battles is basically a solo singing record from Anders, with some random dudes playing random notes on their instruments quietly. Still, when you actually hear them, it's lackluster. The End could have been such a good song, but that heavy guitar drives me crazy, giving me ptsd of SOAPF.

Burn, ITM and IAA all have many elements (even if they are stolen lul) of that old-school (can ASOP be called old-school? I guess) riffage, and Voices sounds like an actually finished Battles track. Not satisfied with the guitar tone there, but at least it's not an Anders solo show, and also not some slow ass shit like SOAPF or SC. I honestly can't remember anything else from House aside from the chorus, and I am not willing to listen to it again, so I'm not sure about the guitars there.

I am talking about the guitars, nothing else. Garbage on SOAPF, garbage on SC and garbage on Battles. Yes, vastly different kind of garbages thanks to the different productions, but being able to choose which way I want to listen to my garbage is not really much of a choice after all, is it? ITM however sounds neat, mostly. And once again, I am talking about the guitars and how they're played, not about the overall production. ASOP could have sounded 10 times better, but the fucking guitars are still playing fast and melodic metal music, and not drawn out, sleep-inducing riffs. These are seperate topics.

Whilst I agree the riffs were shit on SC & Battles, I don't know why you think these riffs are so much better than the stuff off SOAPF. A lot of the verses from ITM songs sound like they literally could have been ripped straight off SOAPF. The weaker songs, granted, but still.

You are right about the IF sound, as there is none, but there still is, as little sense it makes. Björn and Anders repeat this fucking mantra about how IF was, is and will always be IF, and they are actually right. It used to be just about the melodies, than later on it was Anders as well.

"Classic IF sound" exists from 1996-2000, dual guitar harmonies with unique scream style vocals. Cool. Everything after that is a mish mash of so many different styles and sounds that there's no identity there whatsoever, save for Anders' vocals which themselves have gone through a lot of changes. Listen to his growls/screams & cleans on Come Clarity, for example, and it sounds totally different to what we hear on ITM. When Anders & Bjorn talk about the IF sound, for me that's just a soundbyte, a catchphrase, a slogan, a business label. It doesn't have any grounding in reality and whenever they get asked to go into more detail they always talk about "melody and aggression", as if they're the only band to ever do that. It describes the vast majority of metal bands outside of the most extreme genres so it's pretty bold for them to claim they created that sound. I think Metallica and Megadeth might want to have a word.

Anyway, their new tone was really flat and didn't suit them well. Listen to Jotun, Pinball Map, Drifter, In Search for I, Vacuum and Sober and Irrelevant and tell me the guitar play don't sound similar. Not the production, but that trademark energy, which still sounds melodic, not just some death metal crazyness. Then listen to something from SOAPF (except Ropes I guess) and tell me it doesn't sound flat and slow. Similar, sure, but fucking disgusting. I miss those times when their guitars were let loose, and I can finally feel that again with ITM. Not entirely, but not complaining.

I genuinely don't think SOAPF sounds flat at all. I think the entire production, including guitars, sounds huge, vibrant and energetic. Very different from their past stuff, sure, but it fits that album and the music on it perfectly. Seeing what you write about SOAPF, it feels like you haven't listened to the album in a long time. I think you'd be surprised how many cool riffs and melodies are scattered across that album.

I guess Battles is somewhat of an exception, because the guitars were absolutely shafted on that record, except for Wallflower. Battles is basically a solo singing record from Anders, with some random dudes playing random notes on their instruments quietly. Still, when you actually hear them, it's lackluster. The End could have been such a good song, but that heavy guitar drives me crazy, giving me ptsd of SOAPF.

You're basically describing SC here, too :D but yes, on both SC and Battles guitars are really shit, weak and paper-thin. The riffs on the songs we've heard from ITM so far are definitely chunkier and pack more punch, but at the same time they're still hamstrung by this shit Benson production which they need to get away from ASAP.

Burn, ITM and IAA all have many elements (even if they are stolen lul) of that old-school (can ASOP be called old-school? I guess) riffage, and Voices sounds like an actually finished Battles track. Not satisfied with the guitar tone there, but at least it's not an Anders solo show, and also not some slow ass shit like SOAPF or SC. I honestly can't remember anything else from House aside from the chorus, and I am not willing to listen to it again, so I'm not sure about the guitars there.

I wouldn't call any of those songs old-school, particularly, but they are borrowing more elements from the ASOP/SOAPF era than on the previous two records. Again, just a shame about the production.

lol soapf was more metal than asop. asop sounds like In Flames meets AC/DC - testicles

soapf was melodic alternative metal

lol soapf was more metal than asop. asop sounds like In Flames meets AC/DC - testicles

soapf was melodic alternative metal
SOAPF is like when a 200 years old guitar player who used to do metal stuff is now tired and on life support, so he plays very slow, very long melodic tunes, and makes it sound extra rich in production, so it creates the illusion of having a big oompf, when in reality it is just an inflated balloon. And this reply goes to (part of) DE4's message as well.

ASOP on the other hand represents two metal guitarists, who are still eager to go crazy. Absolutely love the speed and sometimes crazyness of those guitars. Yes, production guts them a lot, but it's still there.

SOAPF is more mature and more richer album experience for sure, but saying it's more metal than ASOP is borderline trolling. The dudes who wrote ASOP and the stuff before that would've been through two songs already, while the wise, old fella meticulously put together a seemingly hour long riff.

Battles is more metal than SOAPF and Battles is pretty shit in that department as well.

Yeah, that's funny when the new in flames song appears these guys always write the same bullshit - ,, oh that riff is similar to riffs from come clarity, oh horus sucks, omg Bjorn is a lazy guy he write the same boring solos...:rofl:
So what are we supposed to write when they L I T E R A L L Y do a carbon copy of I am the Hughway's riff?

You are acting surprised that a small, furry animal, who meows and likes milk is constantly called a cat. IT'S BECAUSE ITS A FUCKING CAT.