IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

OK I heard the song and I have some things to say about it.

I like the song musically, the clean like part between middle of the song is awesome, I wish it could be longer. Makes me think Zombie inc actually but you know, shorter version of it. I wouldn't call the solo a solo. It was more like a lead, could've been better longer.

Anyway, musically its fine, but some parts could be better like the clean part.

BUT THE VOCALS ARE SO DAMN BAD. EVEN THOUGH I'M ANDERS LOVER, I HATE IT. There's no part that I enjoy vocals, lyrics are fine with me but vocals are bad. There's no way he can sing this one live. No fucking way. But I though they made songs for the playing live?!?!? Anyway, enough hate, I would say this one 5.5/10. But I still have hope for the album.

Reactions: mindd and eochaid
OK I heard the song and I have some things to say about it.

I like the song musically, the clean like part between middle of the song is awesome, I wish it could be longer. Makes me think Zombie inc actually but you know, shorter version of it. I wouldn't call the solo a solo. It was more like a lead, could've been better longer.

Anyway, musically its fine, but some parts could be better like the clean part.

BUT THE VOCALS ARE SO DAMN BAD. EVEN THOUGH I'M ANDERS LOVER, I HATE IT. There's no part that I enjoy vocals, lyrics are fine with me but vocals are bad. There's no way he can sing this one live. No fucking way. But I though they made songs for the playing live?!?!? Anyway, enough hate, I would say this one 5.5/10. But I still have hope for the album.

Man, you know it's bad when even Ciko is criticising the vocals :D I actually think he sounds OK on the verses. It's the pre-chorus/chorus which is just really bad. Anders really needs to tone down the autotune. We know you can't sing mate, but drowning the vocals in autotune just makes it even more obvious that you can't sing. And it's going to sound atrocious live.

Reactions: eochaid
Man, you know it's bad when even Ciko is criticising the vocals :D I actually think he sounds OK on the verses. It's the pre-chorus/chorus which is just really bad. Anders really needs to tone down the autotune. We know you can't sing mate, but drowning the vocals in autotune just makes it even more obvious that you can't sing. And it's going to sound atrocious live.

My throat feels weird even when I listen it, dont know how Anders will feel IF he can sing those choruses. The chorus is super annoying and I really hope they wont even try to do that song live.

No doubt he’s going to sound bad live. Look who we’re talking about here, lol. There are some videos of Cloud Connected in the early 2000s that I remember being traumatized by but it never affected how I viewed the song.

As it stands, it doesn’t have much to do with how it sounds on the album. And of course you can like it or hate how it sounds on the album. That’s totally fair.

Personally, I’m going to be hearing the studio version of this song 99% of the time, and I’m good with the vocals here.

Edit: as far as the “the music is written with the intention of being played live, so why is Anders doing studio things he can’t possibly pull off live?” thing goes, I’m pretty sure Anders has always been the exception to the rule. Metal vocalists, especially from bands that use only growled vocals (even if only in the past) tend to be given license to do whatever they want live. Anders is pretty lucky there.

Last edited:
Edit: as far as the “the music is written with the intention of being played live, so why is Anders doing studio things he can’t possibly pull off live?” thing goes, I’m pretty sure Anders has always been the exception to the rule. Metal vocalists, especially from bands that use only growled vocals (even if only in the past) tend to be given license to do whatever they want live. Anders is pretty lucky there.

The problem is that Anders & Bjorn have used the excuse in the past of toning down the dual guitars and not playing the older stuff live because "it won't sound like it does on the record". OK, fine. How do they explain Anders repeatedly using techniques in the studio that he can't perform live, then? It makes them come across as massive hypocrites and outright liars.

I think it would be a problem if they ever promised something to the effect of “Anders is going to sing these high notes live, and our live performances are going to focus on his clean vocal delivery.” To my knowledge, they’ve never said this, but if they did I’d be interested to hear or read about it. Then I’d give them shit, lol.

Vocals have always been mostly ornamentation in melodic death anyway, and despite IF’s genre shifts over the years, they’ve continued to treat them that way live. That’s sort of a cheat that other bands in IF’s current genre don’t have access to. So Anders gets to use his studio magic to create the idealized product, and then he wings his way through his cleans during shows, because the band (probably) realizes that the music can stand on its own well enough without the vocal melodies.

Basically: they’re in a unique position that lets their vocalist do what he wants in the studio and then wing it live, and (mostly) get away with it.

Reactions: galvanized
because the band (probably) realizes that the music can stand on its own well enough without the vocal melodies.

Basically: they’re in a unique position that lets their vocalist do what he wants in the studio and then wing it live, and (mostly) get away with it.

It could back in the day, not so much on modern albums. Anders' vocals are a huge part of chorus melodies especially, and quite often verses too, particularly on albums like SOAPF and SC. Obviously they use backing vocals often live to create the effect, but they could do the same with guitars if they were so worried about it not sounding perfect to the record.

I'd say what's important that it sounds good live and not that it sounds EXACTLY like on the studio. If you hear 50 guitars on the track, and then the live one has 2, it may be a million times less cool. But a singer sining some verses or choruses a key lower or whatnot is nothing new in the business.

Also, Anders sounds what he sounds like, even if we would all agree he is shit (which we don't), he couldn't do much about it. He might as well try to make it sound nice on the album version. Would you want him off-key on every track?

And no, I am not defending the amount of autotunes present on Battles and ITM (so far). It is excessive and should use it on special occasions at most.

Call My Name sounds weird, but I like it. I don't know why is he so fucking afraid to tune the autotune down. Then again, to me, Call My Name (vocally) is on a very tight rope with me, which means even if he failed, it wasn't by a big margin.

Funnily enough, the song also reminded me of Zombie Inc. The sudden stop into the slow, almost acoustic sounding solo. Then being abrupted, lol. As a NIN fan, I am not against unorthodox practises in music, but once again, this is the "black square on a white canvas" issue. You may think you are fucking smart for fucking up the solo this way, but you are not. Let it play twice or three times as long, and interrupt it with not the chorus, but with something "wild". Would that be formulatic? Yes, but it is a formula for a reason: it fucking works.

Anyway, I'll hold my judgement until I hear a proper version, because this one sounded like shit. I mean, production vise, compared to other ITM tracks, especially the flac leak of Vocals, which is crisp and loud as fuck, just how I like it. Same with my girls, haha, just kidding, please Sister answer my PMs, I'm dyyyyiiing insiiiiide....

Laverna is still commenting on YouTube videos, so you can go and find her there :D

Why would you change your band's name when the same band has been doing all these diffrent music? And let's not mention the departures, because from TJR to SC most of the band members were the same. The same people who though Colony sounds cool also thought that STYE and ASOP sounds cool as well. Why would they change their name?
First, this time, i said nothing about the name of the band.

Second, the music was done by jesper, glenn and bjorn, then by jesper and bjorn and now by bjorn. So don't tell me that's the same band as if past members counted zero.

Last. The music is not the same. If you were once melodeath and now you're not then you have changed and are the same band by name. Because the music defines what is a band.

“Anders is going to sing these high notes live, and our live performances are going to focus on his clean vocal delivery.”

Because, you know, they're doing their music specifically oriented to the vocals. So it's natural to expect the singer to be abke to sing live. Can you imagine Bjorn not being able to play his riffs live? You probably can't.

First, this time, i said nothing about the name of the band.

Second, the music was done by jesper, glenn and bjorn, then by jesper and bjorn and now by bjorn. So don't tell me that's the same band as if past members counted zero.

Last. The music is not the same. If you were once melodeath and now you're not then you have changed and are the same band by name. Because the music defines what is a band.
So the music had nothing to do with Anders? When people discussed IF songs, even in the post-Colony era, they had to be reminded that there is a vocalist. Come on buddy...

And who cares if they don't play melodeath anymore? They CHANGED as a band. They never said that we are in flames, we are melodeath. They were and are In Flames, and they are whatever they are and whatever they were. They and their do not owe anything to anyone. In Flames is December Flower, In Flames is Drifter and In Flames is The Chosen Pessimist.

I just realized how close ITM release is. I thought it would be Monday, because I forgot how short February is. I'd say I pleasantly surprised myself, but I don't really care. I'll probably like it more than Battles or SOAPF and that's about it.

I’m really excited, got my preorder that should be here Friday or Saturday. Just waiting on a leak now lol. Cause I’m impatient

Speaking of preorders, I have a question for you guys, since I've never preordered an album before:
I preordered ITM from NB on 11th January. Since then in my order information it says that they will process my order as soon as possible, while the status of payment is successful. Do you know if the order will be completed when the album is released or something has gone wrong?