IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

Agree with you that Reroute is without a doubt their best release but "In This Life" reminds me of "Dead Eyes, With Eyes Wide Open" from SC, except i think its better than both.. The way he sings the word 'life' in the chours is so catchy my god.... This Liiiii-aaaah-ahh-ifeee... this li-aaaahh-ahh-ifeee.. love it
Haha, I disagree about it being better than those songs, but I guess I'm too biased in regards of SC :)

Well, I'm glad you like it. But you'll have to cross your fingers if you have to hear it live, because it will have some mad competition.

Reactions: Vjeshta
"the songs i heard were terrible. Cloud Connected is a bad song, bad video. IF have turned to crap.

What i dont see people discussing though... I dont think Anders has the capability to sing like he did on TJR anymore. you could hear that on Colony, and if you saw them live around that era (i saw them in 99). His growl is GONE, and even if he wanted to bring it back, im almost possitive he couldnt. And he sounds like an assraped clown trying to clean vocal like on Cloud Connected. his clean vocals worked for Ordinary Story and Juton, not for shit like Cloud Connected.

And where are people coming up with this crap that the lyrics are meaningful? what type of shit do you listen to to make these words mean anything? Worlds Within The Margin, those were good lyrics. They actualy MEANT something. Cloud Connected? "people like you, you live in a dream world"?? what the holy fuck? "you said somebody stole the eye"? NOT THE EYE!!! good god man, sing something with meaning again!!

Total garbage. I'll still listen to whatever new stuff they release, but I dont have any hopes it'll even reach the status of Clayman, and i though Clayman was also garbage. Colony was fucking brilliant, and TJR / Whoracle cant even be touched. everything after = shit."

Haha, some funny gems there. It's also interesting if you compare it today's criticism of IF. Playing for the masses, Anders sucks, shitty lyrics, this and the previous record already sucked, etc. The same exact stuff is being repeated :D I do like his not the eye comment though :D

Reactions: galvanized
"the songs i heard were terrible. Cloud Connected is a bad song, bad video. IF have turned to crap.

What i dont see people discussing though... I dont think Anders has the capability to sing like he did on TJR anymore. you could hear that on Colony, and if you saw them live around that era (i saw them in 99). His growl is GONE, and even if he wanted to bring it back, im almost possitive he couldnt. And he sounds like an assraped clown trying to clean vocal like on Cloud Connected. his clean vocals worked for Ordinary Story and Juton, not for shit like Cloud Connected.

And where are people coming up with this crap that the lyrics are meaningful? what type of shit do you listen to to make these words mean anything? Worlds Within The Margin, those were good lyrics. They actualy MEANT something. Cloud Connected? "people like you, you live in a dream world"?? what the holy fuck? "you said somebody stole the eye"? NOT THE EYE!!! good god man, sing something with meaning again!!

Total garbage. I'll still listen to whatever new stuff they release, but I dont have any hopes it'll even reach the status of Clayman, and i though Clayman was also garbage. Colony was fucking brilliant, and TJR / Whoracle cant even be touched. everything after = shit."

Haha, some funny gems there. It's also interesting if you compare it today's criticism of IF. Playing for the masses, Anders sucks, shitty lyrics, this and the previous record already sucked, etc. The same exact stuff is being repeated :D I do like his not the eye comment though :D

Lmaoooo it feels so weird to hear someone talk trash about Cloud Connected. I wonder what that person would think if he heard the songs we're listening to now :rofl:

Agree with you that Reroute is without a doubt their best release but "In This Life" reminds me of "Dead Eyes, With Eyes Wide Open" from SC, except i think its better than both.. The way he sings the word 'life' in the chours is so catchy my god.... This Liiiii-aaaah-ahh-ifeee... this li-aaaahh-ahh-ifeee.. love it

"With Eyes" is a Top 3 In Flames ballad, imo. Very interested to hear "In This Life" now.

I know this is I, the Mask time so this is pretty much just for myself, but I'm listening to various IF songs right now and holy shit does this song shit all over everything on Battles (and, imo, a lot of Sounds of a Playground Fading, but that's just me). The solo alone shits all over Battles, lmao.

A hidden gem that they'll never play live. What a cruel earth.

Last edited:
I know this is I, the Mask time so this is pretty much just for myself, but I'm listening to various IF songs right now and holy shit does this song shit all over everything on Battles (and, imo, Sounds of a Playground Fading, but that's just me). The solo alone shits all over Battles, lmao.

I really like this song but the chorus is just a tad annoying. The last 30 seconds are really nice because the melody combines with a synth in the background and its just so catchy; I have to disagree with your comment that it shits on Battles / SOAPF though.. While I like this song a lot, I don't even think its the strongest in SC (Everything's Gone, In Plain View, Monsters in the Ballroom, The Chase, ) are all better

Reactions: ThePhobiac
I know this is I, the Mask time so this is pretty much just for myself, but I'm listening to various IF songs right now and holy shit does this song shit all over everything on Battles (and, imo, Sounds of a Playground Fading, but that's just me). The solo alone shits all over Battles, lmao.

Yeah, Filtered Truth is so weird on SC, especially as a fucking closer. But it makes the SC experience all the more unique. It's like the whole record up until that point is a cautionary tale, telling stories about how not to be lured by the evil of the sirens, and then the last song breaks the dream, wakes you up, and gets real with you.

I really like this song but the chorus is just a tad annoying. The last 30 seconds are really nice because the melody combines with a synth in the background and its just so catchy; I have to disagree with your comment that it shits on Battles / SOAPF though.. While I like this song a lot, I don't even think its the strongest in SC (Everything's Gone, In Plain View, Monsters in the Ballroom, The Chase, ) are all better

Yeah, that synth at the end really brings it all together into a great climax. I love the chorus but I can see how it can be a little strange. And that's totally fair re: Battles and SOAPF! The song just hits all the right notes for me.

Yeah, Filtered Truth is so weird on SC, especially as a fucking closer. But it makes the SC experience all the more unique. It's like the whole record up until that point is a cautionary tale, telling stories about how not to be lured by the evil of the sirens, and then the last song breaks the dream, wakes you up, and gets real with you.

100%.

Wew lad. That's... an interesting tase. I guess I can understand EG, but who the hell considers Monsters as one of the best tracks on the record??

*Raises hand slightly*

It's one of the more uneven tracks for me, since the main thing is the chorus and everything else around it is like filler. But the chorus, to me, is probably the best one on the album, so that elevates it somewhat.

I don't know man. I've just finished listening to Stay With Me again, while reading the Reroute thread from 16 years ago, IF's best release, so it's probably not too fair to give In This Life another chance, haha.

Or maybe it is the best time, because I know exactly what standard to hold it to. It has a certain lull to it, a strange atmosphere. It is really on the verge of being a dumb fucking throwaway track or being an interesting little exception on the record. The guitars are nice, the vocals make me feel like it's a bittersweet Christmas right now...

Dunno. It's better than House, let's stick with this for now.

And now, on to listening to STay With Me again.. fuck, I want to listen to the other tracks as well, but this is just too fucking good!
Brooooooooo!!!! Stay With Me is a fucking majestic song! OMG that was so beautiful the way it builds up and up and then Anders just releases himself.. wow this album is a different kind of masterpiece for sure

"With Eyes" is a Top 3 In Flames ballad, imo. Very interested to hear "In This Life" now.
I can easily say that 'In This Life' is definitely in my top 3 favorite tracks from this album. I think that Deep Inside is really really good as well. Also, Stay with Me is a masterpiece, there's too many!!!

The good stuff in Monsters is the in- and outro.

Stay With Me is still great!

All The Pain is growing on me hard.

My opinion of Deep Inside jumps around all the time.

I don't think it's a masterpiece record, and they probably had only two that came close, CC and Whoracle (arguments can be made for Clayman too), but this is pretty fucking good. I'll probably only listen from start to finish once I wake up after I got home, but this record has the potential not to be faded into obscurity unlike Battles.

House and Here Until Forever needs to get the fuck out from the setlist starting from march 1st. Absolute disgrace that these are getting played when there are so much better songs on this record.

I don't think it's a masterpiece record, and they probably had only two that came close, CC and Whoracle (arguments can be made for Clayman too), but this is pretty fucking good. I'll probably only listen from start to finish once I wake up after I got home, but this record has the potential not to be faded into obscurity unlike Battles.

House and Here Until Forever needs to get the fuck out from the setlist starting from march 1st. Absolute disgrace that these are getting played when there are so much better songs on this record.

Deep Inside is a really fun track... That outlandish part after the solo is fucking memorable.. For some reason I thought of Zombie inc. I think All the Pain is good but I definitely think its the filler on the album. It just never really gets going

Yea listening to it start to finish is definitely the best way to listen to this album. It created more of an appreciation for it from my perspective most definitely. I will be listening to this on my day off this week outside by a fire with a couple of drinks. Really liking it a lot.

Okay everyone, so far I've listened to each song like 3-4 times so I think I can definitely say the album is experimental and will make a few people pissed off, but the second half of the album really shines even though its different from whats been out already. That being said, I think the album collectively is really strong and probably my favorite album since ASOP. House is 100% an outlier and definitely feels like a Bonus Track from Battles. The last 3-4 songs have some really weird Pink Floyd-esque parts which are new for IF, but fit really well with their style.
Top 3 Songs:
(1) In This Life
(2) I Am Above
(3) Deep Inside

It's safe to say that every song is good in its own way, but I think these three stand out the most. I personally think that each song is amazing but if I had to chose some that I thought were a bit weaker than the others they would be of All the Pain, Call my Name, and We Will Remember. None of these songs are actually terrible though, but Call My Name is the worst the chorus is really miserable lol. It was really difficult to choose between Deep Inside and Stay with Me because both tracks are amazing but I think Deep Inside will really be a hit live. That Middle Eastern vibe and a really cool after-solo part make this song entertaining and heavy in a fun way. If you're one of those old IF fans that's a hater, other than I Am Above, Voices, I, the Mask, theres nothing here for you lol.

Last edited:
I think the biggest problem I'm having right now are the vocal melodies for the choruses. They're very unfitting imo.

Reactions: mindd
OK, quick review of the album (not going to leave many comments on the songs we've already heard, as it's been done to death):

Voices - 6/10 - average

I, the Mask - 7.50/10 - good chorus, song is alright

Call My Name - 5/10 - not great

I Am Above - 7.5/10 - heavier than usual, decent

Follow Me - 6.5/10 - I really like the intro and the acoustic guitar in general, but unfortunately that's pretty much as far as it goes. Vocal melodies way too autotune tinged, it's really distracting.

(This is our) House - 0/10 - piece of shit.

We Will Remember - 7/10 - weird opening, but I kind of like it. The song in general has a bit of a power metal vibe to it at certain points, which I didn't expect. I actually quite like the riffs in this one. Nothing original, but they're cool. Obviously the lyrics are all about the older songs, which I guess is supposed to be Anders' way of saying they haven't forgotten the old stuff. Strange to do that in a song that actually sounds like none of the old stuff except maybe parts of SC, but whatever. This is alright.

In This Life - 4/10 - SC style opening, reminds me of With Eyes Wide Open. In fact this song in general reminds me of SC, just with better production and more autotune on Anders' voice. Chorus is awful. "LiIiIiIIifFfeEe" .... shut up, man. Don't like this one at all. Slow, annoying vocals, boring riffs, terrible chorus.

Burn - 7.5 - originally didn't like it, but it grew on me.

Deep Inside - 7 - the riffs don't sound particularly in-flamesish with that middle-eastern sound, but it's cool to hear something different. Chorus is the same old shit but ignoring that this is quite a decent track for modern IF. Nice to hear Bjorn being allowed to rip a solo for once, rather than having it cut short as seems to happen on most other tracks.

All the Pain - 6/10 - of all the places for Anders to dial down on the autotune, it's funny that he chose the verses in this one, where his voice often isn't being supported by the instruments.

Stay With Me - 6.5/10 - some really nice melodies but I'm not a huge fan of the vocals. The ending is great.

Not Alone - 5/10 - why does every chorus have to be the same autotuned shit with very similar melodies? It's passable on a few tracks buit not practically every track on the record. This is bugging me now. Otherwise the song is unremarkable and a weak way to end the album..

Overall rating - 6.5/10.

I'm not going to join in the cirlejerk calling this the best album ever, masterpiece, really amazing, etc. It's not. It's just an above average album for modern IF standards, and that's about it. Better than SC, better than Battles, not as good as SOAPF. Just about what I expected. We heard all of the heavier tracks released as singles, the rest of the tracks were almost totally clean singing. I find this a very interesting decision, but an odd one too. It feels a bit misleading in all honesty, as the released singles do not represent the album as a whole. There's a serious disconnect between how three of the singles (IAA, ITM, Burn) sound compared to the rest of the album, and House is just out there on its own in the void. If you bought the album based on the singles, expecting to hear similar, I think you'd be pretty confused and a bit disappointed.

I think Bjorn has created some really cool meloodies and riffs at certain points in this album, whilst other times it sounds a bit generic. Solos still sound very samey and often seem to be randomly cut off. But overall he's done an OK job, he sounds much more inspired than he was on SC or Battles. I'd love to hear what Bjorn could produce with a different vocalist (an actual singer) but sadly I'm not sure we'll ever hear that. The vocals are a sticking point for me and drag things down a bit, but if you really like Anders' singing voice this won't be a problem. I can only really tolerate the autotuned crooning in small doses.

It's on Piratebay already, so no need to give your PC AIDS.

I won't judge until at least couple of spins, but at least good information is that the album is not going downhill after House. In Battles it could have been just the first half of it, this one seems more balanced.
And it's better than ASOP. Obviously.

Follow me don't be afraid.
I will lead you to a better place.

Lol.

This song is the example of everything that's wrong with Anders.