IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

Keep in mind the context was the last two albums. I'm not setting a high bar here. It's still atrocious compared to anything off SOAPF.

I thought that’s what I put cause that’s when I was married. Guess the board doesn’t lie though lol.

Man, I was browsing through the old SOAPF thread to add to the In Memoriam thread and it's amazing how different the vibe is compared to the SC and Battles thread. Way more people posting, genuine expectations of good stuff, and 95% of people are so fucking pumped after hearing Deliver Us and especially the title track. Even me and A88 are loving it. Fast forward three years and the SC thread is so downbeat in comparison, with everybody arguing and 95% disappointed rather than happy. It fucking sucks and it's no wonder so many people said fuck it after that album. Really sad. If we're using this place as a barometer then it's clear why so many people ditched In Flames once SC was released. Such a kick in the balls after SOAPF got all of our hopes up.

That thread also had some links to the Gothenburg '99 show, I still contend that might be the best overall IF live performance ever recorded.

Fucking awesome :cool: this whole show is just amazing.

The whole show is here, for anybody wanting a reminder as to what In Flames were all about back then and why they gained such a huge following.

Guitar work in The Truth is sadly some of the most inspired of the last two albums. For brief moments during the song it actually sounds like proper In Flames. You can tell from the energy & vocals that they were into the song, even if it's just hollow pop bullshit. Anders loves that stuff.
Agree— you can tell they were into it. It’s a well written song, decent solo and guitar parts.

Best Battles songs: The Truth, In My Room, Before I Fall, Here Until Forever.

Also listened to Siren Charms again today for first time in a while. Honestly not as bad as I remembered. I guess first impressions are hard to overcome.

Best Siren Charms songs: Paralyzed (great song writing), With Eyes Wide Open (can’t deny those Jesters Dance vibes), Filtered Truth. Honorable mentions: In Plain View (strong vocals), Dead Eyes (but too long)

I'd listen to the truth over garbage like Bottled, TCP, Everything's Gone, etc, any day.
Everything’s Gone, When the World Explodes, Through My Eyes, etc. damn the shit list is getting long isn’t it? Every time they try to go “hard” and “aggressive” they fall flat on their face. Like a middle schooler just running their hands up and down the fretboard or something.

Agree— you can tell they were into it. It’s a well written song, decent solo and guitar parts.

Best Battles songs: The Truth, In My Room, Before I Fall, Here Until Forever.

Also listened to Siren Charms again today for first time in a while. Honestly not as bad as I remembered. I guess first impressions are hard to overcome.

Best Siren Charms songs: Paralyzed (great song writing), With Eyes Wide Open (can’t deny those Jesters Dance vibes), Filtered Truth. Honorable mentions: In Plain View (strong vocals), Dead Eyes (but too long)

I like the intro to Here Until Forever but I find the rest of the song intolerable :D

I re-listened to SC a few months back and also found it wasn't the total shitshow that I remembered. Still a lot of issues in terms of production and song writing but listenable in parts. I was surprised to find I actually liked Through Oblivion.

Everything’s Gone, When the World Explodes, Through My Eyes, etc. damn the shit list is getting long isn’t it? Every time they try to go “hard” and “aggressive” they fall flat on their face. Like a middle schooler just running their hands up and down the fretboard or something.

What's weird is that I'm pretty sure they don't want to make those songs either. Whenever they mention those types of songs in interviews it's always phrased like it's a favour to the old school fans. But we don't want "heavy" songs. Old school IF fans didn't start listening to the band because they were heavy, that's a weird misconception. The reason we listened to them was the amazing dual guitar melodies and overall energy. If we had wanted to listen to heavy we would have been listening to shit like Cannibal Corpse and Death. IF modern "heavy" songs are just the worst. Neither the old nor the new fans want to hear that shit so if you're doing it for us, you can stop. Give us another Embody the Invisible, Zombie Inc, Bullet Ride, OFTW, Trigger, Minus, System... that's the type of song people are wishing we'd hear again, not shit like Everything's Gone, which is appropriate when applied to the band's creativity and integrity but a god awful song that sounds like nothing in their back catalog.

I know. First atonality was never their thing. Second, the dry production does no favors for this kind of music. Third, they don’t realize their heaviest riffs are embedded in other songs like Wallflower and beginning of Underneath Your Skin. If they really wanted to go hard then don’t add soft elements to those songs. Fast does not equal heavy. These guys at some point were part of the heavy metal scene. But they have no idea what heavy is all about?

I know. First atonality was never their thing. Second, the dry production does no favors for this kind of music. Third, they don’t realize their heaviest riffs are embedded in other songs like Wallflower and beginning of Underneath Your Skin. If they really wanted to go hard then don’t add soft elements to those songs. Fast does not equal heavy. These guys at some point were part of the heavy metal scene. But they have no idea what heavy is all about?

I just think Anders and Bjorn have little interest in creating pure metal music anymore. Even SOAPF, which I think is great, is more of a rock/metal hybrid than a pure metal album. I'd say the last album they made that was truly metal was Come Clarity. You could probably make an argument for ASOP too, but that's still at least a decade where they haven't produced a proper metal album. I don't even know how to define SC. Battles was much closer to rock than metal. I'm OK with them not producing metal now as their hearts don't appear to be in it, but it feels like they force themselves to put what they perceive to be heavy metal tracks on records just to appease the part of their fanbase that desperately wants them to produce that kind of music. It's strange since they're always saying they produce music for themselves, not the fans. Well, fine, then stop with the "heavy" tracks because they've all sucked since CC anyway.

To be fair I don't think Battles had a "heavy" song so I guess they have done that now. Through My Eyes is the closest they got to that type of song and it's nothing like Everything's Gone or When the World Explodes.

This might be the best opening for a show, ever! You cant just continue your life as a normal person after watching this, you must join the Anders man love crew :D :D

Pinball Map isn’t even one of my favorites but that performance is awesome. WTF happened to them?

I used to think it was silly to say that hair = metal but IF proves that point. Cut the hair, go soft.

Pinball Map isn’t even one of my favorites but that performance is awesome. WTF happened to them?

First of all, time happened. That concert was 14 years ago. Hard to believe I know. I think 2004-2010 was Anders' peak at his live vocals. His voice was too strong and he could've pull of anything. Even though they're doing this almost 25 years, I think they still got it, just look at his Pinball Map performance here. 3:32 exact time.

First of all, time happened. That concert was 14 years ago. Hard to believe I know. I think 2004-2010 was Anders' peak at his live vocals. His voice was too strong and he could've pull of anything. Even though they're doing this almost 25 years, I think they still got it, just look at his Pinball Map performance here. 3:32 exact time.

Hey i was there :rofl:

Major difference between old & new performances is Anders' vocal register being lower. Not a surprise as even by the early to mid-00's he was struggling to replicate the type of vocals he did for Colony & Clayman. Lower register is much easier on the throat.

Hey i was there :rofl:

Everyone on the comments saying that IF was great, hope you had a great night :D

Major difference between old & new performances is Anders' vocal register being lower. Not a surprise as even by the early to mid-00's he was struggling to replicate the type of vocals he did for Colony & Clayman. Lower register is much easier on the throat.

Hmm, no comment on this awesome performances? You gotta admit he still got it.

Hmm, no comment on this awesome performances? You gotta admit he still got it.

He sounds fine on stuff like this, but he always has. He never lost his ability to do the older material, he just struggled for a while before switching to a lower vocal register. It's the new stuff that sounds like shit (but at least it sounds like something?) and unfortunately modern IF setlists are infected with the newer material. If Anders isn't singing then I generally don't have a problem with him.