IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

Thanks for the heads up on the Amon Amarth. Definitely will be checking that out.

Just realized Tyr’s latest album came out 2 months ago around the IF release as well. I had been waiting for that one, no idea how I missed it. Hope it’s good.

Also btw, new Amon Amarth album is out, I think it's a good quality album, not a 10/10 but a damn good album, some very minor change ups in their sound but largely still classic Amon Amarth riffage and beast vocals, there's some real banger songs like Ironside and Fafner's Gold.
Really solid album. Seems better than Jomsviking. Kind of surprising to hear Amon Amarth sound more like In Flames on some tracks than In Flames does now. Examples: Wings of Eagles chorus and post-chorus 2:12-2:51 with the dueling harmonies. Skoll and Hati intro and verse.

I’ve always thought Versus the World, Once Sent from the Golden Halls, and Sorrow Throughout the Nine Worlds was enough Amon Amarth but this one might make it in my playlist for a while.

Yeah I kind of agree, I heard some Iron Maiden esque guitar harmonies as well. Wings of Eagles chorus is so fucking good, gotta love that classic Amon Amarth tremolo riff. That part you mentioned does have somewhat of a Old IF feel to it, I agree. My top3 from the album would probably be Ironside, Wings of Eagles & Fafner's Gold, in that order. I noticed that when the rhythm guitar kicks in on Fafner's Gold intro at like 57sec, it's almost identical to For the Stabwounds In Our Back riff at 46s from Versus the World. Pretty cool and gave me a nostalgic feel. Ironside also has a very oldschool Amon Amarth sound.

I also really liked the melancholic melody in Into the Dark chorus, the song itself is also really cool, Amon Amarth has never used strings and piano in their songs, maybe 1 or 2 but nothing on top of my head. Also I don't know if there's anyone more beast when it comes to growls than Johan, he's just insane in my opinion.

Don't enjoy the Amon Amarth vocals so I don't think I'll ever get into them as a band. I don't listen to much extreme metal these days anyway, so it's not something that particularly bothers me.

I find that Johan from Amon Amarth has one of the best growls out there in Metal, also I like that he articules VERY well, I could probably hear 80-90% of the lyrics on the new album on first listen without reading them, which is always nice when its screams/growls. The only type of scream/growl vocals I will never get into is the ones you find in these fucking deathcore/gaycore bands.

The type of vocals Amon Amarth have aren't my kind of thing personally, but I know a lot of people dig it so I guess it's just a personal thing for me. It's kind of the same with Insomnium, I appreciate the instrumental side of the band but the vocals just don't work for me. I like Turisas but they don't do growls, so, not really the same thing.

Good musicians, but I never really got into them. If I want melancholic melodeath I go with Be'Lakor and Wolfheart probably. I listened a bunch to Turisas maybe like 7-8 years ago, pretty good band but they steered to far away from Metal for me and I haven't listened to them since the Stand Up and Fight album pretty much. The Varangian Way though, great fucking album, I think my favorite song off of them is To Holmgard and Beyond by them.

I think Varangian Way was the last album I heard from Turisas to be fair, and yeah, it's a great album. Looks like they haven't released anything since 2013 though, are they disbanded?

Never mind, just seen they were gigging last month so I guess they're still active. It looks like they just play their old songs for the most part.

Yeah, this new Amon Amarth has a bunch of awesome songs.

Mjolnir, Valkyria are my favorites so far. On Valkyria the vocals are so tortured, guttural, and brutal. True emotion coming out, I’m actually stunned how effective Johan is on this one. I never really thought pure death vocals could be so emotional.

The early AA material where he was yelling and straining — sure, easy to hear the emotion in that. And one reason why I like it so much. Just like early IF where these guys are permanently damaging their vocal cords. But here he is using proper technique and still standing out. Good stuff.

Yeah man, that show is pretty legendary :D probably the best set list of the modern IF era. If I remember correctly Stanne even did the vocals for Behind Space on a show around the 2004-2005 period. Might have been that show, although unless DT were also in Turkey at the time I don't think he would have flown out specifically for that...

For the record I fucking love this performance of Behind Space from the Used & Abused DVD:

:cool:

People shit on Lunar Strain for its bad production, etc, which is fair enough... but I do think people would appreciate it more if songs like Clad in Shadows, Upon an Oaken Throne and Starforsaken were played live more often (or at all) back in the day. In fact with Anders' recent vocal performances they'd probably still sound great nowadays too.

Yeah man, that show is pretty legendary :D probably the best set list of the modern IF era. If I remember correctly Stanne even did the vocals for Behind Space on a show around the 2004-2005 period. Might have been that show, although unless DT were also in Turkey at the time I don't think he would have flown out specifically for that...
You mean this one? Or just a guest appearance somewhere else?

New Amon Amarth it's very good. And it sounds fresh. It's a nice job.

Insomnium... I really think people should give them a try. One of the best melodeath bands there are now. Always evolving. Winter's Gate is a piece of art. A must hear by everyone.

Reading the Amon Amarth's album titles.... Jomsvikings... First time I read this name was in a manga. Vindland Saga. Krofius, you should read it. I'm interested in your opinion. It talks about a good time in the viking era, the time of King Canute. My opinion is thats it's very accurate though with the obcious exaggerations from the mangas.

Why should I read it lol, I'm no fan of mangas, and I don't read any types of books either, it's not my thing. However I definitely think Amon Amarth's lyrics are very fitting to the sound of the music and for me personally it feels more empowering when I listen than if they would just have ''regular'' lyrics about whatever.