IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

The nasally part made me think he was actually singing. The first half sounds just like the album.

But when Emilia started, my initial reaction was WTF? Is this an Arcturus La Masquerade song? Apparently she’s the voice on Siren Charms. Way, wayyyyyy out of place here.

Well, there you go. Siren Charms ruins everything. She has no business on Metaphor. Especially adding in those weird operatic vocals at the end which sound so out of place. Poor do.

Yeah not sure why Anders sounds different in the second part of the song, all of a sudden it's like it goes from taped vocals to live vocals and oof... the quality suffers.

Hearing BS is cool but I wish they'd have done Stand Ablaze tbh, one of their best songs and they literally never play it.

Reactions: eochaid
But you didn't link Swim, lol. DId you mean HUF? On Stay With Me he's good (though it's not a hard song), and I skipped HUF because it's boring but I assume you meant that.

Speaking of Swim, I am actually yet to find a live recording of it, but I'd like it.

I really like how they utilize backing vocals now. They should keep at it, and maybe Niclas can join in on the fun too. Also, they had tons of fun on the stage, even the fill-in guy, so that's good to see.

Will none of you complain that the New Dawn was not played even though they had strings? It's quite baffling.
He's good singing what?

The only way to think that he was good singing that chorus is to be deaf or to not have listened to it at all.

Well, there you go. Siren Charms ruins everything. She has no business on Metaphor. Especially adding in those weird operatic vocals at the end which sound so out of place. Poor do.

Yeah not sure why Anders sounds different in the second part of the song, all of a sudden it's like it goes from taped vocals to live vocals and oof... the quality suffers.

Hearing BS is cool but I wish they'd have done Stand Ablaze tbh, one of their best songs and they literally never play it.
I'm surprised they even played Behind Space to be honest, they hadn't played it in 10 years. Have they played ANYTHING from Lunar Strain/Subterranean the last 20years except for Behind Space some times? I'm pretty sure not. I'm not bothered to check but I don't think they've played any other Lunar Strain/Subterranean songs other than Stand Ablaze in the 90's and Behind Space since Anders joined the band, I could be wrong though.

I'm surprised they even played Behind Space to be honest, they hadn't played it in 10 years. Have they played ANYTHING from Lunar Strain/Subterranean the last 20years except for Behind Space some times? I'm pretty sure not. I'm not bothered to check but I don't think they've played any other Lunar Strain/Subterranean songs other than Stand Ablaze in the 90's and Behind Space since Anders joined the band, I could be wrong though.
https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/in-flames-43d6837f.html?song=Clad+in+Shadows

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/in-flames-43d6837f.html?song=Upon+an+Oaken+Throne

Clad in Shadows and Behind Space were both redone on Colony and those versions get played live, so really the last time they played anything purely off Lunar Strain was Upon an Oaken Throne in 1998.

In fariness I can understand that, as Lunar was essentially a Jesper demo at the time and you could say the same for Subterranean. Still a shame Stand Ablaze isn't played more often, though, as it's awesome.

Unfortunately, the only band members I've seen talk like Stand Ablaze live would still be a possibility are out of In Flames now.

I was told some dudes requested it before the legendary Istanbul gig in 2005, and Jesper told them "no can do" because they'd need to rehearse it first, but promised they'd play it the next time in Istanbul. However, I believe the next time around Jesper was in rehab or already gone, and they didn't play it.

Daniel once said something like "It's not impossible at all, since we've done it before" in an interview.

I'm quite sure both Anders and Björn have said they're not very interested in playing Stand Ablaze again. You know, too many guitar layers and that shit.

Yeah, I doubt we'll ever hear it again which sucks. It's a relatively short song as well, without the outro and with the tempo slightly increase as tends to happen live, you're only looking at 02:30 max, with the outro maybe just over 3 minutes.

I really want to hear Anders singing Jester Script Transfigured with his 2019 voice (preferably in person). Imagine how he'd sound on "We only see outlines of the beginning...."

It would sound closer to the original than it probably ever has in the past tbh, same for anything played off The Jester Race.

Stand ablaze would sound total garbage live without extra effects, and it may ruin the song for you forever, aka Metaphor. I've seen some old footage of songs like Zombie Inc. or Stand Ablaze, and the "omfg these guitar sounds!!!" sounded like absolute trash. I think Zombie Inc. would work, but Stand Ablaze would be pretty meh.

Also, some of you noted that Anders did not even like the lyrics, so he rewrote them, and who knows if he still has them somewhere.

Stop chatting shit. Stand Ablaze sounds great on the 1999 Gothenburg bootleg.

Yes he rewrote the lyrics but it isn't hard to work out what they are. All he has to do is listen to the widely available public fucking bootlegs on YouTube to recall.

Sounds like total garbage live my arse. Take your head for a shit Slave.

Last edited:
Whilst Slave is still twitching on the ground from being bitchslapped so hard:

Great show and setlist. This was what In Flames were when I first got into them. No emo bullshit, no hipster hamster nonsense, just straight up awesome metal.

If some performance(s) of SA was/were bad, I would say that was probably because of sloppy playing, not because the song couldn't be properly arranged for two guitars. Then again, I'm a nostalgic old fart who has SA in his top-5 IF songs, so I'm probably always going to be biased in the matter. :p

Anyway...for example, I think it was the Club Citta version where, after the first "Stand ablaze" scream between the verses, one of the guitarists starts playing the melody but screws it up and skips the rest of it.

Stop chatting shit. Stand Ablaze sounds great 1999 Gothenburg bootleg.

Yes he rewrote the lyrics but it isn't hard to work out what they are. All he has to do is listen to the widely available public fucking bootlegs on YouTube to recall.

Sounds like total garbage live my arse. Take your head for a shit Slave.

You link me a performance where Jester's fucking guitar is not even in tune (or just played badly) and claim it sounds good? You shouldn't talk about heads and asses. It sounds much better on the second video.

But why would they ever play this instead of Trigger for example? Stand Ablaze is one of my favorite songs pre-Clayman, but even if I had to choose a pre-Clayman song to hear live, I wouldn't pick it. Stand Ablaze is like a good wine, which meant to be enjoyed at home. Play Jotun or Artifacts. High energy, nice solo, no drawn-out bs.

You link me a performance where Jester's fucking guitar is not even in tune (or just played badly) and claim it sounds good? You shouldn't talk about heads and asses. It sounds much better on the second video.

But why would they ever play this instead of Trigger for example? Stand Ablaze is one of my favorite songs pre-Clayman, but even if I had to choose a pre-Clayman song to hear live, I wouldn't pick it. Stand Ablaze is like a good wine, which meant to be enjoyed at home. Play Jotun or Artifacts. High energy, nice solo, no drawn-out bs.

Sorry, I was probably a bit harsh towards you but it's been a while since I ripped on anyone and I knew you could handle it :D

I wasn't talking about them replacing Trigger or anything like that, I just meant if they were going to play anything from the Lunar/Sub era then Stand Ablaze would be awesome. Obviously Behind Space is easier for them, but if they wanted to make me sit up and say "wow", then Stand Ablaze would have been the one.

With that said, Clad in Shadows sounds incredible on that Montreal live performance. It's actually a really solid live track.

Another Clad In Shadows performance in 1999. This was basically Anders' peak as far as his screaming style of vocals were concerned. Even going into 2000 you hear his voice is deteriorating, and by 2002 he's really struggling. He had a brief renaissance around 2004-2006 but his screams were pretty poor afterwards, and it's only recently when he's switched back to growls that he's starting to sound awesome again.

In comparison:

He sounds nowhere near as good here. Also his vocals pre-1999 are just terrible imo. I can barely watch the Koln 96 video as Anders just sounds ridiculous imo.

And for finality's sake, Clad in Shadows live in 1994:

Uploaded by our favourite son Krofius. Stanne on vocals.

What I don't like from the Stand Ablaze live performances is that it's sped up, it doesn't sound right to me at all. Sounds off. I would love to hear it still though. But if we're talking about old stuff that we're probably never gonna hear live again or live debuted I really would want to hear Dead Eternity & Lord Hypnos.

The faster version of Stand Ablaze probably works better in a live environment tbh. It sounds different, but still good to me. They speed up the majority of the older songs live, I assume to give the performance a bit more energy. Clad in Shadows is a lot faster live but sounds great, better than it does on the album imo. It's quite weird listening to the songs on the older albums after hearing them live, it almost sounds like somebody has applied a slow speed filter to them - especially Episode 666.