IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

I would like to hear The Jester Race album but in the new way with clean vocals and more electronics that would be cool
Re-recordings would be cool. Interesting if nothing else. If they suck I will just delete them and forget about it forever like the latest covers EP. No big deal.

Their cover of Alice in chains is just perfect, very deep and emotional

BriskSomberAfricanparadiseflycatcher-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: eochaid
Musically that cover song is ok. But the vocals really turn me off. Too nasally, sounds like a pop punk band.

I like the 50 Cent song better. Totally honest. Song is catchy.

I've seen wayfarer. But then I've searched wayfaerer and the only result is the IF song and some random metal band.

Niklas Sundin had a bit of an obsession with old English during that time period. If you read the lyrics to Skydancer it's littered with that type of prose. He often misspells or just straight up makes up words that sound like old English though. You wouldn't really notice unless you'd studied it though. Literature was my major so obviously it stands out to me a little more than it would the average person.

If I had to guess where the misspelling of Wayfarer came from I'd guess it was from here, as per the Marriam-Webster dictionary:

History and Etymology for wayfarer
Middle English weyfarere, from wey, way way + -farere traveler, from faren to go — more at FARE

So he was possibly thinking of Weyfarere but either accidentally or purposefully misspelt it as Wayfaerer. Either that or he just misspelt the original Wayfarer.

Reactions: eochaid
On topic: In Flames could do a cover of What Is Love? and I would sing its praises because let's face facts, I have no integrity

I've been doing a complete Gothenburg retrospective listen at work, starting from the first Grotesque demo and going all the way to present day. I'm hitting albums, EPs, demos, you name it. Promo discs, mini cds. I'm up to the year 2000 and I've come to a couple of conclusions:
  • The first Desecrator (later Ceremonial Oath) demo, Wake the Dead, is the worst shit I have ever heard.
  • Ceremonial Oath kinda sucked in general. Carpet had its moments.
  • Lunar Strain was remarkably basic and tame compared to everything else at that time.
  • Clayman was In Flames' sellout album. Fucking great album. But that's where the shift to "pop" happened. Bjorn switching to lead and being allowed to guitar-wank changed something.
  • Gardenian is like a better Ceremonial Oath with trademark Niclas Engelin alt-metal weirdness and vocals that don't make me want to kill myself.
  • Teenage kids learning to play instruments --> couple of demos --> Skydancer --> The Gallery in the span of six years is fucking amazing. DT leveled up really quickly.
  • Sacrilege was better than all of these bands and they should be alive today.

Last edited:
Yeah... Clayman is the album that I always show to any non metal listener to introduce them to In Flames. I don't.