IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

To me Engel indirectly writes for the band. Every time I hear In Flames do “modern riffing” it sounds like straight off of an Engel album.

By the way, painter? You mean a house painter or an artistic painter?
House painter

In that case don’t you think he’d rather be making money writing music? Just because he stays busy and keeps an income going doesn’t mean he wouldn’t rather be invited to get more royalties from the new album.

No I'm not saying he's working as a painter on the side to survive, he obviously gets enough money from just touring with IF lol, just saying I know he still did some painting stuff on the side, probably as hobby.

I think the cool thing about this next release is they spent 3 months writing and recording and I’m sure that will show throughout the album

Seems to be about the average length for a new IF album, from what I recall. Siren Charms had a 2-month writing/recording process; Sounds of... was several months, I believe. And I think The Jester Race was done in 2 weeks.

And wasn't Lunar Strain popped out in a couple of days? I remember reading that they had to throw together half an album's worth of songs on a tight deadline.

I think Sounds is their longest ever. Björn first wrote all music during many months and did pre-demos, then if I remember correctly they went into studio and transformed it to to regular demo tracks of the album, and then they recorded it all. I think they were in studio for over 3months recording stuff.
Considering they still owned IF studios back then I guess it was easier doing it that way, not like they were renting a high-end studio for 3months.

You can tell SOAPF had a lot of time put into it. It's a very well crafted album even if it isn't to everybody's taste.

Also I was listening to my music on random as usual this morning on the way to work and this one came on:

I think this is a really underrated IF track. You never really hear anybody talk about it. The intro is awesome, especially when it breaks into that classic R2R melody (hard to put into words, but the guitar tone and style on R2R is very distinctive). I can see why they don't play it much live as it doesn't really lend itself to a live environment, but it's a cool track to listen to on record.

Reroute definitely has several underrated songs. When it came out, I thought Trigger, Cloud Connected and Free Fall would be hits. Turned out I was totally wrong about Free Fall. I don't think I've ever heard a live version.

Minus, also, has probably been done live only a couple of times.

Reactions: Jaymzkrueger
Reroute definitely has several underrated songs. When it came out, I thought Trigger, Cloud Connected and Free Fall would be hits. Turned out I was totally wrong about Free Fall. I don't think I've ever heard a live version.

Minus, also, has probably been done live only a couple of times.

Yeah, they've played Free Fall very infrequently. Possibly less than half a dozen times. Sucks, it's a great little track. Minus is one of their best ever songs imo, criminal that it hasn't had more time on the setlist.

One thing I did notice whilst listening to Reroute in its entirety earlier was that Anders is actually still using the same vocal alterations as Clayman in some parts (hard to describe, but for example in Reroute to Remain when he's screaming "destroy the pattern, anything that seperates" - that lower vocal line just underneath the main one). I had either forgotten or never noticed that he did that on Reroute as well.

Also throwing a shout out to "Dark Signs". Some really nice melodies in that one.

I'm pretty much certain Free Fall has never been played live. I remember someone asked and I think it was Peter who said why they haven't played it, don't remember exactly what was said, but something along the lines of it didn't work or feel right live. I think they tried rehearsing/soundchecking it before that Gigantour in 2008 or somewhere around that time.

I'm absolutely sure I saw it on an obscure setlist years ago, possibly on Everdying... would have been the early R2R era. I dunno. Definitely not one they've played regularly at any point though.

This is the best you'll get, so... enjoy? :D

I know you guys dont like SC but I think one of the most underrated song is Filtered Truth, I love that song. Awesome melodies, catchy chorus, good solo. Dont know what to expect from an IF song. :D

BTW does Anders playing at new WT music video or am I going blind?

I know you guys dont like SC but I think one of the most underrated song is Filtered Truth, I love that song. Awesome melodies, catchy chorus, good solo. Dont know what to expect from an IF song. :D

You're blind. That's not Anders but his brother.

I'm pretty much certain Free Fall has never been played live. I remember someone asked and I think it was Peter who said why they haven't played it, don't remember exactly what was said, but something along the lines of it didn't work or feel right live. I think they tried rehearsing/soundchecking it before that Gigantour in 2008 or somewhere around that time.
It's a shame. I also love that song. I cannot understand hownit doesn't work live while tcp does. But I remember Bjorn talking about it as an IF type ballad.

Find Wally XD

Yes he is there for a few seconds

Filtered Truth is a fucking excellent song and puts me in a good mood whenever I hear it. I love the verse after the first chorus, when Anders starts with “Your back turned against the world you knew”. One of the rare moments when his clean vocals and the music thread together perfectly. It sounds awesome. Everything in that song just clicks.

Speaking of Free Fall, like Krofius said, I remember someone asking the band why they didn’t play live. Anders was pretty blunt about it, said the song has “no flow” and more or less dismissed it.

Edit: Yeah “Reroute to Remain” is a classic. Great main riff, excellent pre-chorus, super-uplifting chorus, and that solo is vintage IF.

Last edited:
Reactions: ciko_gfb
Speaking of Free Fall, like Krofius said, I remember someone asking the band why they didn’t play live. Anders was pretty blunt about it, said the song has “no flow” and more or less dismissed it.
Yeah exactly, that's the wording I remember, I thought it was Peter though but might as well been Anders, I just know it was in 2008 during the peak of Jesterhead fanclub where they had Q&A's and shit.

It's a shame though I really like the song, I bet the start of the verses would sound sick with just the drums bass & vocals before the chugging riff kicks in. I guess the chorus might sound a bit weird. It just shows how much of a different perspective/opinion the band themselves have over certain songs that some fans really like or dislike.

If we've learnt anything its that you can't take what In Flames says about playing their songs live seriously :D the excuses are by now legendary in their ridiculousness. You're telling me Free Fall flows worse than anything off Siren Charms? Pull the other one Anders.

To be fair, I can see what Anders is saying. Lots of full stops that last for a few seconds each, mid-tempo verses with only muttering vocals laid over them, and a repetitive chorus vocal melody. It's an awesome song on the record, but I can imagine it'd be a little dull live, at least from the band's perspective. Aside from the synth solo in the bridge, there's no real point in the song where things get kicked up a notch.