IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

I don't see any drastic opinion change. I really dug TME when it came out, but got flat very fast. However, I still like Before I Fall.

I also listen to songs like Drained, Like Sand or even Save Me, as they are quite catchy, but overall the record did not live up to my expectations, and most importantly, lacks any kind of character. It's not even compareable with all the crazy riffing on STYE for example. Like it or hate it, that record (and basically everything else before Battles) had a face.

Only because you've forgotten how much people were digging the Battles stuff when it came out.
Of course it might just be early hype, which is why the quotes you're taking is from when the single was just released. My points was people was liking it and there was unusually little hating going on, if they don't like it now anymore 2years later, I don't fucking know lol.
Lol yeah, briefly going back through the Battles thread for those quotes and Krofi-kun was very impressed. Loving all the tracks. Dreaming of Anders seranading him on a beach in Barbados with "Wallflower", etc. Now he shits all over the album as if he never really liked it, and he's way too cool for this modern IF stuff.

Say what you will about Slave, but at least he's consistent and stayed strong in his love for Siren Charms, even in the face of relentless critcism. You gotta respect him for that if nothing else.
Now I might remember incorrectly but I don't remember praising Wallflower the way you're describing it, it's definitely one of my least rated songs on Battles. Granted I haven't even listened through Battles for probably at least a year so I don't even remember all the songs. I did enjoy it for about 3-4 weeks after it came out but since then I haven't really touched it, Drained is the only song I have on my playlist but I usually skip past it.

I've seen this posted a few people, out of curiosity what makes you guys think this album is going to sell better than the other two? Haven't IF album sales been dropping for years? They're with the same producer and the same label as the last album, and it's not like the singles have been good enough to create a buzz outside of the IFWT crew (not from what I've seen, anyway)... so why do some of you think this album is going to sell better than Battles, or SC (which, remember, was on Sony Music!)?
Just overall how I feel I guess. Could be personal hype too. I remember seeing positive reviews and statements on the last two albums all over social media and whatnot, just seem to notice more positive vibes being expressed this time around. Except for here. Here has been consistent lol. Of course this forum tends to be a little harsher on the criticism overall, but lots of it is valid and not just shit

I havent payed attention to sale numbers since maybe Come Clarity or ASOP. They were all gradually going down for all the bands I listened to album after album, but I guess it has to stop going down after a while and maybe it's on the rise again? It seems like Vinyl is starting to do a comeback again though, I always see all bands doing limited edition Vinyl shit for all their new albums and they sell out immediately every time.

Yeah, it was surreal to see vinyl players being sold in MediaMarkt. The stuff that was outdated even when I was a child is being sold at a modern tech shop. Mhkay.

What is their appeal to begin with? Is the audio superior? How so? And how many times can you listen to it, before it actually gets worse due to being worn down?

Just overall how I feel I guess. Could be personal hype too. I remember seeing positive reviews and statements on the last two albums all over social media and whatnot, just seem to notice more positive vibes being expressed this time around. Except for here. Here has been consistent lol. Of course this forum tends to be a little harsher on the criticism overall, but lots of it is valid and not just shit

Sometimes I like to post shit just to wind Krofius, Ciko or Slave up. Most of the time I'm being legit though.

What is their appeal to begin with?

Hipster bellends like Anders who want NEW AGE FUN with a VINTAGE FEEL.

Reactions: Vermyn
Yeah, it was surreal to see vinyl players being sold in MediaMarkt. The stuff that was outdated even when I was a child is being sold at a modern tech shop. Mhkay.

What is their appeal to begin with? Is the audio superior? How so? And how many times can you listen to it, before it actually gets worse due to being worn down?
It is indeed superior. But you also need a good equipment to notice the difference. The modern vinyls are also better than the older ones. And you can plug the player to any computer and rip the audio.

Before you ask. Why is the audio superior? Because it has not been digitalized. There's always some kind of compression when you digitaliza music or video. This does not happen to the vinyls.

:D how opinions change, eh? From this to...

And you wonder why Eochaid, A88 and myself get so frustrated with you guys :rofl:

Also quite funny to read this as Krofius said the exact same thing recently about this album :D

Wow what a great post! :D Most of you guys will disagree of course but I still like Battles. SC was meh for me, it had good songs of course but I like Battles better. I'm still listening it so it wasn't just new release hype for me. First 6 songs (Drained,The End, Like Sand, In My Room, Before I fall, Through My Eyes, excluding The Truth) are the songs I still listen. Every one of this songs have something I love and I can see that I will listen them again and again. Hell I've been listening Deliver Us for 8 years. (time fucking flies right?)
Some songs are meh for me on the Battles but I'm OK with it. And I have good feeling about the new one so we will see.

Tommorow marks the start gigs for the year, Architects and Polaris at Wembley arena.... this gonna be good. IF you better bring your A game in april!

I, like most people here suffered the same eventual conclusion with Battles: you thought it might have been better than Siren Charms, then it becomes forgettable quickly. I tried to be fair to any song released after hearing The Truth(yuck)

Haven't listened to a song off Battles since a short time after it came out.

On the reverse side: Siren Charms actually aged OK. "Everything's Gone" for example, was at least rather heavy relatively speaking.

Bottom line: I really like I am Above and Voices.

I have no problem with any songs that are the decent alternative metal they're making now. Good tunes. Good to listen to at the gym, driving etc.

However, I still wish I got to see that live setlist from fall of 2015 (Jotun, Superhero, Ordinary Story) among a ton of other great older tracks.

It's like I'd only want them to play older songs live... But I have no problem with newer good tracks just listening to in daily life... Weird conundrum

I was at that tour, this show
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/in-flames/2015/katalin-uppsala-sweden-23f5f4b3.html

Probably the best setlist they've had of all the times I saw them, nothing will ever beat hearing Food For the Gods live for me tbh. I was also lucky catching Jotun live because on that tour I think they played OFTW instead of Jotun most of the shows.
They did the same thing with Superhero/Everything's Gone as opener, they played Superhero first half of the tour and then change to Everything's Gone. I would probably have preferred to hear Superhero live instead of Everything's Gone cause I heard that one live in 2014 already before that.

I've seen this posted a few people, out of curiosity what makes you guys think this album is going to sell better than the other two? Haven't IF album sales been dropping for years? They're with the same producer and the same label as the last album, and it's not like the singles have been good enough to create a buzz outside of the IFWT crew (not from what I've seen, anyway)... so why do some of you think this album is going to sell better than Battles, or SC (which, remember, was on Sony Music!)?

I don't think that is going to sell better than the previous two albums, maybe the same. I just think that it will be a better album (than Battles) . Sometimes, how good is an album has nothing to do with sales.
Nowadays, sales are constantly dropping for many bands. Metallica and Mastodon have stated that it's more profitable for them to tour than entering a studio to record an album, which is actually loss-making. So, bands that already have a big catalogue of songs to perform live won't enter the studio unless they feel that they have something good to record.

Before you ask. Why is the audio superior? Because it has not been digitalized. There's always some kind of compression when you digitaliza music or video. This does not happen to the vinyls.

Exactly! Digital sound means that the device is reading a binary code and recreates sounds based on that, so there are "gaps" between different fragments of the code. Analog sound has a continuous flow, just like a big wave of sound, meaning that these "gaps" do not exist.
Of course, you cannot understand if there are "gaps" or not, but you can tell that the overall sound is better in a vinyl player.

and most importantly, lacks any kind of character

I, like most people here suffered the same eventual conclusion with Battles: you thought it might have been better than Siren Charms, then it becomes forgettable quickly

Okay yeah mabye I overreacted when it was released XD Battles had grown old for me after a matter of weeks, the initial joy of it didn't last

Battles had no character, so it is forgettable. To be honest, I liked songs such as Drained, Through My Eyes, Save Me and even The Truth when they came out, but now they are average for me. I might listen to them occasionally cause they are catchy, but I won't feel the need to listened to them again for several months. The End, In My Room, Before I Fall, Wallflower and the title track are the only ones from this album that have something to offer that will last.
I was sceptical with SC when it was released, but it has aged really well. It has its own style, its own vibe and many songs from it are still on my playlist. I should post a review on it someday, since I was only reading yours back then.

Reactions: eochaid
I was at that tour, this show
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/in-flames/2015/katalin-uppsala-sweden-23f5f4b3.html

Probably the best setlist they've had of all the times I saw them, nothing will ever beat hearing Food For the Gods live for me tbh. I was also lucky catching Jotun live because on that tour I think they played OFTW instead of Jotun most of the shows.
They did the same thing with Superhero/Everything's Gone as opener, they played Superhero first half of the tour and then change to Everything's Gone. I would probably have preferred to hear Superhero live instead of Everything's Gone cause I heard that one live in 2014 already before that.

Insane. I'll never see them play a show like that in the states. Just great tracks like (clayman & bullet ride in 2015 USA tour) sprinkled in at times

Reactions: Vermyn