IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

What?? Jesper's favorite record is the most cohesive, final evolution of their MDM-sound, and not some glorified youthful experimentation????? How is that possible??? Color me surprised!
If any album falls under glorified youthful experimentation it would be Reroute to Remain or Soundtrack to your Escape. Maybe Battles and the new album (crap, seriously forgot the name) also count.

Edit: lol, I The mask. Had to look it up :(

I'm a bellend.

Fixed it for you m8.

Great write up. I really agree. This song sums up everything good about mature In Flames in a single song. The solo portion is amazing.

To me Pinball Map and Bullet Ride are somewhat generic and never really draw me in. I tend to skip. And Only for the Weak is great but overplayed, slow, and basically while it’s great I don’t need to hear it again because it’s so memorable.

As The Future Repeats Today is when the album really starts for me. Clayman has so many middle track gems. If I’m just hanging around and I want some casual In Flames without getting into the “heavy feels” of the early stuff I play this song first. Then Square Nothing, Swim, Suburban me.

I love Bullet Ride, but Pinball Map is a bit generic. Great live song though. OFTW definitely overplayed, although it's the song that got me into In Flames so I'll always love it.

If I had to rate the songs on Clayman in terms of order of favourites it'd probably be:

ATFRT - perfection.
OFTW - most accessible song on the record, great "gateway" song for somebody looking to get into the band
Satellites & Astronauts - incredible ballad, their best imo. Another solo that gives me goosebumps, it fits so perfectly.
Square Nothing - love the transition in the middle of the song, that sudden burst of energy and power is awesome. Lyrics on this one are also immense.
Bullet Ride - just a really cool track.
Suburban Me - as above. Guitarwork on this one is stellar.
Swim - dem guitars
Pinball Map - similar to OFTW as one of the accessible tracks on the record
Clayman - it's good, but not as good as the songs above
Another Day in Quicksand - as above
Brush the Dust Away - as above

If I was to rate the bonus tracks as well then I'd probably put World of Promises above Clayman and Strong & Smart just below it. I really love both of those tracks too.

Reactions: JesterSlaveSucks
Clayman's production is indeed magnificent. So fucking crisp.

I was listening to "Dark Signs" from Reroute the other day and was just shaking my head at how badly the production nerfs R2R songs. Dark Signs is actually pretty awesome with some great riffs, but the mix does everything possible to neuter the track and make it sound a lot less powerful than it is. I'd love to have heard Reroute with Clayman's production. Songs like System, Minus and Dark Signs would sound so much better.

Reactions: A88 and eochaid
Suburban Me has to be my favorite gem from Clayman. Very simple songwriting, with great riffs, melodies and solo, but the main thing for me is that epic production and atmosphere that is at the same time very depressive and somber, but also hopeful and even uplifting.

Colony maybe has the cooler moments, TJR was more original, but Clayman is the complete package. Great MDM done in simple, convincing and mature way.

Reactions: galvanized
Interesting, because I love Suburban Me a lot too, but I think it's like one of the first prominent sign of the band branching out to simpler, more accessible territories. It's a lot like songs on ITM and Battles, except less dumbed down.

Simple riffs, talking verses, a little growling/screaming so people don't talk mad shit about you, a very catchy, arena-friendly chorus which you can always sing much more cleaner live. The only part that doesn't fit is the guest solo, that would be replaced with something else.

I truly believe that Clayman is one of the final evolutions of the MDM genre. TJR and Whoracle are more pure, from a musical standpoint, Clayman should be rated much higher than them. TJR and Whoracle is mostly "just" talent, creativity and vision, while Colony and mostly Clayman excels in actual musical composition as well.

I also think that Pinball Map was very much needed on that record. It's not one of my favorites, but the record has a bunch of slow or midtempo songs, and it really needed some fast paced tracks there. Whatever liquid they poured into the cauldron while making Clayman, they accidentally spilled the fuck out of it during the CC sessions.

I'd say OFTW the Pinball Map are way more accessible/simple tracks than Suburban Me, although you could say the whole album is an easier listen than their previous works, which I'm sure was by design.

I've always been of the opinion that Colony and Clayman evolved to the point where they weren't even in the MDM genre anymore. Definitions of MDM are so loose though that I can understand people putting that label on it. There isn't really anything else to describe melodic metal with harsh vocals. The "death metal" part of MDM for most bands just means that there are screaming vocals, but that's false in of itself as death metal bands use deep growls rather than screams. But anyway.

Come Clarity is a weird mix of Clayman and Reroute with really raw production. When you look at the timeline of IF evolution during that period (Reroute > STYE > CC > ASOP), it's kind of amazing that CC exists at all. Take it out of the timeline and the band's evolution actually makes more sense imo. It's a bit of an anamoly.

You can say the same thing for pretty much every genre that takes a step away from its original form.

No matter how similar they can be, you'll never mix Hamerfall and In Flames, even if you take the vocals out of equation.

jester slave is exiled from the colony
Jester Slave is a peer, a friend, a homie. We have our differences, but we are all here for the same reason: to celebrate the great body of work by Bjorn, Henke, Jesper, Glenn, and Anders. And the other guys.

May they forever be vessels of the Jester.

In Anders’ holy name, Amen.

Don't mind JSS, he's basically a robot designed with the sole intention to bash Jester Slave :D He's literally gone back through entire album threads just to 'like' every post that's critical of Slave. It's both amusing and a little bit scary.

You can say the same thing for pretty much every genre that takes a step away from its original form.

No matter how similar they can be, you'll never mix Hamerfall and In Flames, even if you take the vocals out of equation.

One thing I have said and stick by is that you could no longer define "In Flames" without vocals post-SOAPF. There's no way anybody would have guessed that instrumental SC or Battles was IF if there wasn't any vocals. ITM maybe? It's the most IF sounding album since SOAPF, imo, but still a lot of generic stuff in there.

Caught the Behind Space live performance. Good shit. Compare Anders on this to the Koln performance from 1996, lmao.

Reassuring to know that Tanner has the chops to perform their older stuff, too. I had my doubts. The American bros have earned my respect, tbh, though I'd prefer Swedes, you know what I'm sayin'?

The American bros are fine in their role as live musicians tbf. They seem to be really into the music too, so I guess it's okay. I wasn't too happy with Christian Joe and his bible behind the drums, but I can live with Tanner Wayne. Mainly because that and Bryce Paul are just the most American bro sounding names ever. I give them a pass. They look more metal than the hipster hamster also.

Koln 1996 is just the worst. Can't understand when people claim to like it. The songs sound slow and lifeless, and Anders is just... words can't describe how fucking dreadful he sounds. I can't listen to that performance, it makes me want to stab my eardrums with rusty, or dare I say rusted nails.

So we were joking about IF going reggae a few weeks ago...

Check out this opening riff by Iya Terra. So fresh with those dual harmonies. Imagine if a little heavier, a little “wetter”. Makes me think of IF.

Check out this opening riff by Iya Terra. So fresh with those dual harmonies. Imagine if a little heavier, a little “wetter”. Makes me think of IF.

It's got that vibe. I dig it.

Been revisiting Grievance's The Phantom Novels recently. Really underrated album that brings me back to my college days, when I was writing and recording my first album. Anders featured on a few tracks, this one being my favorite:

To clarify: I wasn't in college when this album came out. I'm not an old person. I swear.

It's got that vibe. I dig it.

Been revisiting Grievance's The Phantom Novels recently. Really underrated album that brings me back to my college days, when I was writing and recording my first album. Anders featured on a few tracks, this one being my favorite:

To clarify: I wasn't in college when this album came out. I'm not an old person. I swear.

Good stuff, I wish he had been more consistent with these types of side projects and collaborations over the years.

Anyway, #oldguysrule, right?

In Flames is just such a weird band with a weird path.

Jester Race, Whoracle, Colony, Clayman - Great run.

Reroute & Soundtrack - some cool stuff going on but also borrowing from some of the current trends in the metal genre at the time. (Nu metal mostly)

Come Clarity - a nice uptick into a thrashy melodic metalcore blend. I mean that as a compliment. Had a great effect on the band's success and respect too for a while.

ASOP, SOAPF, SC, Battles & whatever the newest one is called - a very sloooow decade of becoming irrelevant. They still sell tickets and do well but In Flames are absolutely NOT "drawing a new crowd". Its literally just IF fans that tolerate the new stuff hoping for old stuff to be played too.

^not 100% of course but very few people are really "new in flames" fans. At least here in the states. It's people like myself who will goto the shows but we just are going to enjoy whatever '96-'2000 songs they will play.

People call new In Flames "alternative" but the music in the last 5 albums is not light enough to have brought in new fans. The people who hear new In Flames are people who listen to metal bands anyway so they will always know who In Flames really is.

So this was an awesome recommendation.