IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

Sacrilege was better than all of these bands and they should be alive today.

Agreed 200%. Sacrilege's album, The Fifth Season is pretty awesome. It's equal to the Slaughter of the Soul for me actually.(Might be even better, not exaggerating) They're more similar to At The Gates I think, but you guys really should check out this songs from Sacrilege:

Moaning Idiot Heart ( My personal favorite, I was blown away when I heard it. Awesome vocals by Daniel Svensson, and that freakin' guitars!)
Summon The Masses And Walk Through The Fire (Another awesome song, one of my favorites from Sacrilege)
Dim With Shame (That fucking intro man, pure evil!)
Sweet Moment Of Triumph
Feed The Cold

Reactions: ThePhobiac
I think that was released in 2010, and personally I prefer most of the songs on SOAPF to Self Vs Self. Still a good collab though.

To me Self vs Self gets a lot closer to the vibe of Colony and Clayman. Basically balls to the wall upbeat energy.

It reminds me a lot of the crazy energy of Embody the Invisible. Maybe the bpm is similar.

I think that was released in 2010, and personally I prefer most of the songs on SOAPF to Self Vs Self. Still a good collab though.

Time for me to admit something. I love SOAPF, great album. Anders and Björn did really good job on it. Hell, my favorite In Flames song Deliver Us is on that album. But for me, SOAPF doesnt feel like an In Flames album. I love the guitars on that album but it doesnt feel like they have the classic IF trademarks. I heard in one interview that they took vocals for that album very seriously, sure it feels that way too. But its just doesnt feel like In Flames, when I listen the other albums (before and after SOAPF) each one have some IF trademarks on it. (Yep even SC, just listen Filtered Truth.) If I was a person who listen In Flames catalog from beginning to the end for the first time, I would be surprised when I heard SOAPF. I wonder what you guys think about that.

Reactions: eochaid
Siren Charms is by far the least "IF" sounding album for me, not even close. It has really bad, amateurish production which sticks out like a sore thumb, and is strange because even though the band has made questionable choices regarding production since they left Nordstrom, Siren Charms was the first album where I thought it was legitimately just outright bad. There are some odd songs on the album which aren't IF-like at all. Everything's Gone is weirdly heavy in a way the band has never been before. Through Oblivion is electro-pop. Filtered Truth starts off like a HIM song and becomes something else. When The World Explodes is like Nightwish meets some shitty metalcore band.

I agree that SOAPF is different (likely mainly because Jesper was totally out of the picture) but all the IF trademarks are there. The mix of screams/cleans which had been a staple since Reroute, high energy, great guitarwork throughout, catchy, uplifting chorus sections and 'the ballad' in the vein of Come Clarity, Evil in a Closet, etc. The production is definitely softer compared to previous albums but works perfectly for what they were going for. Comparatively Siren Charms is dull, sludgy, uninspired and a massive shift towards clean vocals.

Battles is like a fake version of SOAPF to me. They tried to bring back the higher energy with cleaner production but it's so commercially driven that it just comes across as inauthentic and just as bland and dull as Siren Charms.

ITM is the first album they've done since SOAPF, imo, that sounds like In Flames again. Still not perfect but a huge step up from the last two non-entities they shat out.

I think I’ve said this before, but imo Siren Charms was the last album that captured the same vibe as the band I got into in 2004. Very different and experimental album, sure, but it still felt like In Flames on a primitive level (“Everything’s Gone is totally Reroute, btw — they even rip off “Black and White”!). Battles and ITM might as well be a different band. Even “I, the Mask”, killer as that song is, bears zero resemblance to anything that came before on a pure vibe level. And the acoustic passages don’t bring to mind the classic sound at all, though they still sound good.

It’s all polished and glossed over, auto tuned and over-produced. I like the sound of it, but I always thought IF had this weird awkwardness, from TJR to Siren Charms, that made it awesome. That’s kind of gone now.

It’s the same with Lunar Strain, but that’s coming from a different direction altogether.

If the band ever had to change its name, Battles was the album on which they could’ve done it and I’d have been cool with it.

Reactions: galvanized
Agreed 200%. Sacrilege's album, The Fifth Season is pretty awesome. It's equal to the Slaughter of the Soul for me actually.(Might be even better, not exaggerating) They're more similar to At The Gates I think, but you guys really should check out this songs from Sacrilege:

Moaning Idiot Heart ( My personal favorite, I was blown away when I heard it. Awesome vocals by Daniel Svensson, and that freakin' guitars!)
Summon The Masses And Walk Through The Fire (Another awesome song, one of my favorites from Sacrilege)
Dim With Shame (That fucking intro man, pure evil!)
Sweet Moment Of Triumph
Feed The Cold

Fifth Season is as close to perfect as you can get. Their first album is no joke, either. Those guys knew what the hell they were doing.

I think I’ve said this before, but imo Siren Charms was the last album that captured the same vibe as the band I got into in 2004. Very different and experimental album, sure, but it still felt like In Flames on a primitive level (“Everything’s Gone is totally Reroute, btw — they even rip off “Black and White”!). Battles and ITM might as well be a different band. Even “I, the Mask”, killer as that song is, bears zero resemblance to anything that came before on a pure vibe level. And the acoustic passages don’t bring to mind the classic sound at all, though they still sound good.

It’s all polished and glossed over, auto tuned and over-produced. I like the sound of it, but I always thought IF had this weird awkwardness, from TJR to Siren Charms, that made it awesome. That’s kind of gone now.

It’s the same with Lunar Strain, but that’s coming from a different direction altogether.

If the band ever had to change its name, Battles was the album on which they could’ve done it and I’d have been cool with it.

Half of Siren Charms isn't even a metal album so if you're going to change name, that would have been the time. People talk about SOAPF not being metal, but that's bullshit. It's clearly and identifiably metal, albeit modern metal. Paralyzed, Through Oblivion, With Eyes Wide Open, Dead Eyes - not metal songs. Even stuff like In Plain View and Siren Charms are debateable. The only song that really sounds like an IF song on SC, to me, is Rusted Nail - and they even fucked that up with terrible mastering and editing. Everything's Gone is metalcore garbage. When The World Explodes is the same but with a Nightwish chorus spliced randomly into the song. Monsters in the Ballroom & Filtered Truth are OK but don't sound like In Flames.

The common concensus with SC at the time of release was "this doesn't sound like In Flames" and I can only remember SC/Battles ever getting that reaction. At the time of release people really liked SOAPF, and rightly so. It was different but sounded like a re-energised IF producing great music again. I, the Mask is kind of similar. Still some shitty Battles remnants here and there and the ballad obsession from the SC period, but some very solid songs too which are getting back to where they were before they took the horrible SC/Battles detour to oblivion.

I'll never accept that SC sounds like an IF album. It just doesn't, and no amount of time passing will change that. It sounds like something Anders and Bjorn should have released as a side project. The Passenger album sounds more like IF than SC does.

I don't even think that soapf sounds like an if album. There are many changes, many different ways of doing things to put it into its category. It was somwthing new. Fresh. Well packed and done. But not IF as it used to be.

The only song that really sounds like an IF song on SC, to me, is Rusted Nail - and they even fucked that up with terrible mastering and editing.
Damn bro. are you serious? Rusted Nail is one of the craziest most experimental weirdest songs, not sure how it is most like IF. I guess the chorus is like new IF (Come Clarity). And the first 20 seconds intro. But the rest is freaking crazy.

I don't even think that soapf sounds like an if album. There are many changes, many different ways of doing things to put it into its category. It was somwthing new. Fresh. Well packed and done. But not IF as it used to be.

STYE wasn't In Flames as it used to be, neither was CC or ASOP. You're going back a lot further to meet that criteria. In terms of high-energy guitarwork and pleasant melodies mixed with screams/cleans SOAPF was what IF had been since Reroute to Remain. Production was different but otherwise it was nothing crazy. I honestly don't remember a single person at the time saying "this doesn't sound like IF". I'm sure there were a few but the vast majority just thought it was IF back on form.

Damn bro. are you serious? Rusted Nail is one of the craziest most experimental weirdest songs, not sure how it is most like IF. I guess the chorus is like new IF (Come Clarity). And the first 20 seconds intro. But the rest is freaking crazy.

Again I can only go back to the initial reaction, pretty much everybody recognised it as an IF song. General concensus was that it sounded like a SOAPF B-side. Through Oblivion was the song that threw everybody sideways, not Rusted Fail.

Hottest take of 2019: SC never meant to sound like IF. It's a slow, melancholic, ballad-heavy one-off. Almost like a concept record. It's funny, because as much shit it gets for being formulatic, it's actually quite unique. There are some interesting intros and outros, unique song structures like an extra verse at Dead Eyes, or Rusted Nail having that breakdown before the first chorus. WTWE goes without saying, EG is the harshest they had sounded since CC, Filtered Truth is weird as fuck, and Through Oblivion just works great, when it really shouldn't. The few songs which seem to get an overall praise from everyone (Paralyzed, WEWO) are one of the most formulaic in the record, so go figure.

SC is certainly unique, hence why we continue to talk about it whilst Battles, for example, is largely ignored. I don't really classify it as unique in a good way, as it's just too weird and unusual for me to appreciate, but at the very least it can be discussed in some depth. Battles on the other hand is so bland and empty that I can't think of anything to say about it other than it exists but I never listen to anything from it.

STYE wasn't In Flames as it used to be, neither was CC or ASOP. You're going back a lot further to meet that criteria. In terms of high-energy guitarwork and pleasant melodies mixed with screams/cleans SOAPF was what IF had been since Reroute to Remain. Production was different but otherwise it was nothing crazy. I honestly don't remember a single person at the time saying "this doesn't sound like IF". I'm sure there were a few but the vast majority just thought it was IF back on form.

Again I can only go back to the initial reaction, pretty much everybody recognised it as an IF song. General concensus was that it sounded like a SOAPF B-side. Through Oblivion was the song that threw everybody sideways, not Rusted Fail.
No. More like the way they make the riffs and melodies. Hard to explain.

Probably due to Jesper leaving and Bjorn being in sole control of that side of things, hence a move away from traditional metal and more towards rock/metal. Then SC went even further in that direction.

That. And also, since Jesper left, Bjorn changed the way he's making riffs. He has now an style of his own and it's pretty different from what he did in the past.
What comes to my mind, when thinking about Bjorn riff signature, is WTDSD. It's that kind of riff that I asociate with him.