In Flames

GrotesqueWingedCreature

Satan's Offspring
Jun 21, 2004
Here we discuss the better early work and unlistenable, later work of In Flames and related bands.

Whoracle and the jester= :worship:

Soundtrack and other new ones= :puke:

i know im the minority on this board when i say i think all of their albums are great.

The thing about In Flames is they always change, and evolve. Sure, i still think The Jester Race, Whoracle, and Colony are their best albums but if they all sounded like that... it wouldnt be interesting. It would be like callenish circle or something.. very boring, the same thing over and over. You cant say "in flames sold out" really because they changed their sound, they always change their sound. You can tell each album apart from another... and each one is unique.

The new album gets trash talked around here, but it is really quite good. The only complaint i have is the lack of solos. Jesper and Bjorn are such amazing guitarists, and they really dont have ant crazy solos on this album. Other than that, it is a very interesting album, and mixes their older styles with something new.

Im not saying anyone has to agree with me, its just how I feel. If you dont like them, fine, whatever.

Lunar Strain is the only one I ever actually listen to. Some of the other ones are decent though (Whoricle, Jester ect) but the new shit is horrid, bad enough to be compared to Linkin Park...

So am I the only one who noticed the similarities between the new hypocrisy and stye? Seems people thing Tatgren can do no wrong, but the guitar style is pretty similar on those two albums IMO and the In Flames one gets all the heat. Of course I haven't given "The Arrival" much of a chance yet since it was discarded after a couple listens but still...

The Arrival is waaaaayyyyy better than Soundtrack To Your Escape. Like the old saying goes, you're comparing horseshoes and hand grenades.

BTW, Lunar Strain is the best album In Flames has done or will ever do.

Old In Flames is amazing in my opinion. Jester Race, Colony, Clayman and Whoracle are all brilliant. And don't forget the newly remastered and released Subterranean and Lunar Strain, they also rock.
As for their newer stuff. Well yes it's not anywhere as good as the old IF. R2R was terrible i say. STYE is better, not as good as the old but still far better. As someone already said, the lack of decent riffs and solos lets it down, that was always my fav bit of IF songs.
As for Hypocrisy, they rock as well. Arrival is excellent IMO. It has some brilliant songs with some good riffs and solos.

I enjoy every single one of their releases, but in far of how MUCH I enjoy them... the older stuff takes the cake definetly.

Infact, Lunar Strain and the Jester Race are on my top five greatest albums list.

5thSeason said:
i know im the minority on this board when i say i think all of their albums are great.

The thing about In Flames is they always change, and evolve. Sure, i still think The Jester Race, Whoracle, and Colony are their best albums but if they all sounded like that... it wouldnt be interesting. It would be like callenish circle or something.. very boring, the same thing over and over. You cant say "in flames sold out" really because they changed their sound, they always change their sound. You can tell each album apart from another... and each one is unique.

The new album gets trash talked around here, but it is really quite good. The only complaint i have is the lack of solos. Jesper and Bjorn are such amazing guitarists, and they really dont have ant crazy solos on this album. Other than that, it is a very interesting album, and mixes their older styles with something new.

Im not saying anyone has to agree with me, its just how I feel. If you dont like them, fine, whatever.

Personally, i am a in flames fan, i enjoy all of their work. The worst album,ithink, is soundtrack to your escape.
colony is best, whoracle is second, clayman is third and jester is fourth.

Hypocrisy's "The Arrival" was a big disappointment for me. Given, it is better than the horrid Catch 22 and the somewhat boring Into the Abyss, but it pales in comparison to The Fourth Dimension, Abducted, s/t, and especially the classic The Final Chapter.

Don't listen to In Flames anymore. R2R was so sickening. I like Colony and Lunar Strain/Sub. Whoracle is abysmal.

I miss a lot of the experimentation on Lunar Strain, but I prefer the Jester Race, Whoracle, and Colony.

all four records kick major ass

they are original and have absolutely amazin guitar parts and developed vocals

i am mad at them for soundtrack to your escape and r2r

J. said:
Hypocrisy's "The Arrival" was a big disappointment for me. Given, it is better than the horrid Catch 22 and the somewhat boring Into the Abyss, but it pales in comparison to The Fourth Dimension, Abducted, s/t, and especially the classic The Final Chapter.

Don't listen to In Flames anymore. R2R was so sickening. I like Colony and Lunar Strain/Sub. Whoracle is abysmal.

At least I'm not totally alone.