Why is it that everyone hates In Flames so much?

Pyrus said:
That's what Gothenburg melodeath is: power metal with harsh vocals and the occasional tremolo/blast beat. At the core, it's still power metal. That can be either good or bad. Usually it's bad, because we're not talking Manticora here.

WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN-WINNER!!

Life Sucks said:
There are some good melodeath bands though, such as Holymarsh and Intestine Baalism. If you think those bands suck, then you don't know what good metal is.

We're talking about gothenburg. If you mean bands like Arghoslent and the like, yes, I'd definitely classify them as Melodic Death Metal, because that's exactly what they are.

Life Sucks said:
There are some good melodeath bands though, such as Holymarsh and Intestine Baalism. If you think those bands suck, then you don't know what good metal is.

Holymarsh is most certainly Gothenburg metal if their is such a genre.

Life Sucks said:

Holymarsh are melo-death by aesthetic and sound. IB seem melo-death at first glance, but the grind riffage at certain times, deviation from standard drumming and BRUTAL FUCKING VOCAL PERFORMANCE OF THE CENTURY make them melodic death (i.e. not melo-death).

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Holymarsh are melo-death by aesthetic and sound. IB seem melo-death at first glance, but the grind riffage at certain times, deviation from standard drumming and BRUTAL FUCKING VOCAL PERFORMANCE OF THE CENTURY make them melodic death (i.e. not melo-death).
Intestine Baalism mix in some regular death riffage and brutal vocals, but their riffage does sound Swedish a lot of the time. That's not to say that they aren't a great band; there is a such thing a great melodeath. Holymarsh, as someone already mentioned, is Gothenburg-style melodeath in every aspect. Some other melodeath bands I like are Fragments of Unbecoming, Burden of Grief, and Ablaze My Sorrow. I must admit, that I actually like a lot of melodeath, I just don't like the watered down stuff like post-Colony In Flames and recent Soilwork.

.Scissors. said:
I don't even consider new In Flames or Soilwork melodic death. I simply call that Gothenburg.
I suppose. And watered down Gothenburg at that. For me Gothenburg = melodeath. Neither Gothenburg or melodeath are actual death metal. Hell, recent releases by In Flames and Soilwork are barely even metal.

I think the title "Gothenburg metal" does exist.

You guys seem to be saying melodeath and melodic death are different genres. I think they are just 2 names for the same thing. However, I think there are at least 2 styles of Melodic Death (or Melodetah as some call it). One is Melodic Death metal (Death metal with melody, like Arsis, Arghoslent, Intestine Baalism, etc...) and the other is Gothenburg Melodic Death (like In Flames). I don't think these two styles should be differentiated with the ludicrously similar names "melodeath" and "melodic death."
My user name "Melodeath" refers to both styles of melodic death, not just the gothenburg style.

I remember, maybe 7 or 8 years ago, many metal publications were using the term "gothenburg death metal" to describe bands like ATG and In Flames so I think that term has been around for awhile. Anyway, it doesn't really matter but please everyone: Stop using the terms melodeath and melodic death to describe two slightly but superficially different subgenres.

We call Gothenburg bands Melodeath because everyone insists that they actually have elements of Death Metal, so we can't call them Power Metal like they really are or everyone will start bitching.

Melodeath said:
I think the title "Gothenburg metal" does exist.

You guys seem to be saying melodeath and melodic death are different genres. I think they are just 2 names for the same thing. However, I think there are at least 2 styles of Melodic Death (or Melodetah as some call it). One is Melodic Death metal (Death metal with melody, like Arsis, Arghoslent, Intestine Baalism, etc...) and the other is Gothenburg Melodic Death (like In Flames). I don't think these two styles should be differentiated with the ludicrously similar names "melodeath" and "melodic death."
My user name "Melodeath" refers to both styles of melodic death, not just the gothenburg style.

Melo-death and melodic death are two different genres. Stupid, I agree, but until someone comes up with a better name (besides Gothenburg), I'm going with it.