Incantation vs Immolation

Incantation vs Immolation

• Incantation

Votes: 24 40.0%
  • Immolation

Votes: 36 60.0%

• Total voters
Immolation. I like Incantation, but I find Immolation more accessible. Unholy Cult has some great riffs that are conducive to headbanging. :headbang: Immolation also puts on a great live show.

Both bands first three cds are classic, but if I was stuck with one cd out of these albums. I would go with 'Mortal Throne of Nazarene'.

Onward to Golgotha is one of the greatest death metal albums of all time but all of Incantation's material is at least good. Dawn of Possession is up there too but I'm not sure how I feel about Immolation's last couple of albums.

I was actually late to the party with Incantation. They're kind of a band that doesn't come up as often as the other big names, but I swear there were people on UM and elsewhere who'd comment on metal and say things like "Incantation is the only band where I felt like they were too heavy for me at first." Naturally that got my interest, and ohhhhh man were they right.

I do loves me some Immolation, but damn, going back through the standouts from Incantation are so fucking devastating.

Onward To Golgotha >>>>> Dawn Of Possession > Here In After > Mortal Throne Of Nazarene > Failures For Gods > Diabolical Conquest

And I rarely listen to the rest but that ">>>>>" makes the choice clear ;)

Onward To Golgotha >>>>> Dawn Of Possession > Here In After > Mortal Throne Of Nazarene > Failures For Gods > Diabolical Conquest

And I rarely listen to the rest but that ">>>>>" makes the choice clear ;)

I don't entirely agree with that order, but yeah, I voted for Incantation mainly because I like their debut better than anything Immolation has done.

But, I almost regret voting for Incantation, because Immolation has been more consistent and has put out more good albums. I've seen a couple polls of the best Immolation album, and there are at least 5 that people will vote for quite a bit. If you have a best Incantation album poll, it will just be Onward to Golgotha in a landslide, with their next two albums being a distant second and third. Haven't heard their most recent release yet, but everything else after Diabolical Conquest is decent at best.

That doesn't mean the rest of Incantation's isn't also superlative. It just means that OtG is THAT FUCKING GOOD.

If you have one band who releases 5 albums, all of which are 9/10 in quality, and ask everyone their favorite, you'll get a varied response. Take another band who releases five albums, four of which are a 9/10 and the fifth is a 10/10, everyone will pick that fifth as their favorite.

Seriously, go burn through any Incantation album at Random. Diabolical Conquest, Mortal Throne, Decimate Christendom, they're ALL as good as anything Immolation has done. It's just that they came out the gate with a legendary album.

I'd also wager Immolation is a little more accessible for most people. The instruments are more clearly defined, whereas with Incantation it's kind of like listening to it all in a cavern, but that's part of their atmosphere.

EDIT: Another way to put it is like this. If you put all of Immolation AND Incantation's albums together and asked people to pick their favorite, Onward would STILL come out on top in a landslide. Then the rest would be an even mix of people picking Incantation or Immolation albums kinda at random.

If you put all of Immolation AND Incantation's albums together and asked people to pick their favorite, Onward would STILL come out on top in a landslide.

... not so sure about that.
------------------------------------

I have it more like ...

Here In After > Dawn of Possession >>> Onward to Golgotha > Unholy Cult >> Failures for Gods > Mortal Throne of Nazarene > Diabolical Conquest > Close to a World Below ....

I didn't say it would be a 100% vote, dude. I said if you put all of them together and had people pick their favorites, Onward would most likely still come out on top, and then the Immolation/Incantation albums would mix together after that.

The fact that it's not YOUR favorite means that your vote would fall under the "mix together after that" part of things. Like if I said "Obama will win in a landslide" and you responded with "I don't know dude, I'm not voting for him."

I doubt im in the minority.

It's just weird to me that you happen to think it'll win in a landslide. I know tons of people that will tell you, for example, that Close to A World Below is a much better album than Onward to Golgotha.

on Rate Your Music CtaWB is rated an average 3.95 out of 1,300 reviews, while OtG is rated 3.85 out of 700 reviews .

On Metal Archives, CtaWB has a rating of 95% out of 12 reviews while OtG has an average rating of 88% out of 7 reviews.

Dont know where you seem to be coming up with those facts of yours.

Well admittedly if you go on forums littered with metal laymen and modern metal fans, there does seem to be an inexplicable fascination with CTAWB...but that's the only album that I've ever seen get similar consistent praise, and like I said, I find it inexplicable.

Never been on a forum that ranked anything but CTAWB above OTG on average though. And the ones that do even that are :erk:

I've also never, when digging around in places like UM or more "elitist" areas, seen it get nearly the reverence of Onward. It's sorta like how Nespithe has that awed prostration when it's mentioned in the deeper circles but it only has a 4/5 on Amazon.

I mean, shit, if we're going by RYM and M-A reviews, hop on over to Metal Archives and Cryptopsy's "None So Vile" has an 86% out of 21 reviews, meanwhile Hour of Penance's ENTIRE DISCOGRAPHY is higher than that. You get morons drifting in to write those reviews.

I never said otherwise, but if you look across various forums and see the type of listeners that prefer CTAWB, you'll notice patterns for sure.

The point is, agreeing with their opinions or not you can't personally pick and choose which perceptions are applied to a polling.

No doubt there. I'm just speaking from having drifted from forum to forum, I've noticed that Onward to Golgotha has kind of an aura around it that few others have.

Also, you know what else, according to Rate Your Music, is in the top 20 death metal albums alongside Close to a World Below? Three fucking Opeth albums. Going by RYM Opeth is the second greatest death metal band of all time behind Death itself.