Interfaith marriage, and the effect on the offspring

What is lame is that 50% of marriages end in failure, Americans in particular have poor foresight in many things, be it personal finances, geopolitical policy, or in this case relationships.

it is sad to think that as people, we are always willing to give the benefit of the doubt, that we optimisticly believe we can over come, or be all tolerant, or reach compromises, but in the end our personal differences always prevail when it comes to strong opposing beliefs or interests or in the case of marraiges a wide platform of common ground

50% of marriages don't end in divorce because people didn't plan ahead. Keeping a marriage requires no long term strategy - just faith and love.

I didnt see where either of us said anything about "long term strategy". I did see the word foresight used something we are supposed to apply to any long term decisions. Taking a good evaluation of opposing views and seeing the train wreck comming is always a good thing. Love is the most highly abused and twisted word there is, in its first few years of use between most couples it is nearly laughable. In fact Im willing to bet on a high percentage of cases in which the word love has been exchanged never even see two years.........

I don't know about "inter" faith, per sey, but my mom is Catholic and my dad is agnostic and there's never been any tangible tension in my family. My dad's not a skeptic or an aetheist and he doesn't oppose religion, so he never had a problem with me being baptized Catholic or anything. My mom raised me Catholic, but it wasn't really for me. I was baptized as an infant but I don't really identify as Catholic; I'm more spiritual than anything. Which my mom doesn't love, I guess, but she accepts it for the most part.

Atheistic morals are quite the same as what religious people's morals are.

I think Atheists and Theists are a lot more alike than people think. They both think something rules the universe, the Theists call it God, the Atheists call it physics, the Atheists don't worship it though. Theists and Atheists also believe in creation. The Theists just believe it started a different way. If you take the beliefs about how people should live, the rituals and go down to the core of pretty much any religion it will be pretty much the same as how Atheists believe the world started. Except the Theists believe it was created by a being.

I think Atheists and Theists are a lot more alike than people think. They both think something rules the universe, the Theists call it God, the Atheists call it physics, the Atheists don't worship it though.

Theists can believe physics rules the universe, underlying that however is a belief in its divine sacredness. I always thought atheist morality to be more about utilitarianism, whilst religious ppl are more about virtue ethics and the golden rule, unbreakable because of their souls are accountable.

While I think religion CAN be a very important part of a person's life, mingling two faiths doesn't have to harm anyone at all. My parents raised me Catholic because they both were Catholic. The effects of that was that I was able to understand how some people view the world. I had left the faith by the time I was 14, and have settled down with Buddhism for the time. It may change someday, as I NEVER stop questioning. I am glad to have grown up in an environment in which morals were important.

I will not force Buddhism on my children. I don't think I'll even tell them about it unless they ask. I will raise my children to have morals but to always question them. I will explain the different ways God is interpreted, and let them come to their own decision. In the Baha'i faith, one is not a Baha'i practitioner until they are at least 12 (I don't remember the exact age) At a certain point, after they have studied the major world religions they can make their own decision. My friend, who grew up in a Baha'i community, said there is no pressure to choose one religion over the other. I think this sort of objective and supportive environment is appropriate for raising children. I can bet you you'll be happy if your children can talk to god in their own way, understand why someone practices a different religion, has a set of morals, and won't tell everyone else they're wrong and going to hell.

^ Cheers ! You are a resonable and fair thinker, free of the rebellious hatred more commonly seen and apply independent thought rather than bandwagon riding.

^ Cheers ! You are a resonable and fair thinker, free of the rebellious hatred more commonly seen and apply independent thought rather than bandwagon riding.

Aww, thank you for the compliment! That kinda sounds like a fortune cookie, too! lawlz. I've found most rebellious hate-fulled people turn me away from their points of view, even if they're really logical and well thought out positions. I hope to do the opposite and inspire people with a loving and understanding approach. YOU ALL SHOULD TRY IT OR YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!