IRON MAIDEN set list from India revealed!

TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
British heavy metal legends IRON MAIDEN kicked off their Somewhere Back In Time - World Tour '08 with a headlining performance Friday night (February 1) in front of nearly 100,000 fans at the Bandra-Kurla Complex in Mumbai, India. The group's setlist was as follows:

01. Intro - Churchill's Speech
02. Aces High
03. 2 Minutes to Midnight
04. Revelations
05. The Trooper
06. Wasted Years
07. The Number of the Beast
08. Run to the Hills
09. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
10. Powerslave
11. Heaven Can Wait
12. Can I Play With Madness?
13. Fear of the Dark
14. Iron Maiden
-----------------------------
15. Moonchild
16. The Clairvoyant
17. Hallowed Be Thy Name

Now this is just awesome. At first I was a little disappointed that some of my favorites from Somewhere In Time were not included ("Lonliness Of The Long Distance Runner", "Stranger in a Strange Land", and "Deja Vu") but after looking this list over more and more it is quite amazing. I know that I am going to have the chills when I hear Churchill's speech and then they just rip into "Aces High", that right there is worth the price of admission alone. "Wasted Years" is one of my favorite songs ever and helped me through a lot of rough times. I have seen Maiden a good amount of times but have never gotten to hear "Wasted Years" live so I am quite excited about that. "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" is just going to be insane. The first epic metal song I had ever heard and it blew me away. I know they were talking about also doing "Alexander The Great" and switching each night between that and "Rime" and I love "Alexander" but I really hope I get "Rime". "Powerslave" and "Heaven Can Wait" will be awesome as well, I have never seen either one live. MOON fucking CHILD! Damn I love that song. I cannot wait to hear that as well as "Clairvoyant". I have heard "Clairvoyant" before but it is so amazing that I never get tired of it. Would have loved to hear "Infinite Dreams" or "Only The Good Die Young" but this will do. Even though the rest of the set is standard classics I am not bothered by that because this show will truly feel like its 1988 mixed in with the rest of those songs. I'd be fine never hearing "Run to the Hills" again but atleast its in the middle of the set, that I can deal with. Overall this is going to be amazing, I cannot wait for March 14 at the IZOD Center!!

I agree. That's pretty cool. The only thing I wish is that they left off some of the bigger staples - the normally played songs. 'The Trooper' is a great song, as is 'Number of the Beast' and 'Run to the Hills', but they play those at every concert (same with 'Iron Maiden', and yes, I know it's a tradition). I'd have preferred a few of these removed and some of the more obscure songs be played.

Examples of other songs from the same album period:

Sun and Steel
Flight of Icarus
Flash of the Blade
Deja Vu (as GD mentioned above)

Still, I already have my New Jersey ticket, and I can't wait to see this one.

Steve in Philly

I agree. That's pretty cool. The only thing I wish is that they left off some of the bigger staples - the normally played songs. 'The Trooper' is a great song, as is 'Number of the Beast' and 'Run to the Hills', but they play those at every concert (same with 'Iron Maiden', and yes, I know it's a tradition). I'd have preferred a few of these removed and some of the more obscure songs be played.

Sun and Steel
Flight of Icarus
Flash of the Blade

Steve in Philly

I was kind of surprised by the omission of "Flight of Icarus" for this tour and also would love to see songs such as "Sun and Steel" performed live. But overall I'm pleased with the setlist and am hoping to see Iron Maiden if/when they play in the Dallas area. Until that time I suppose I'll continue waiting in my cold cell until the bell begins to chime....

Sun and Steel
Flight of Icarus
Flash of the Blade

Steve in Philly

Agreed...There is no need to play those songs when you have so much untaped material. Maybe just add LotLDR, Only the Good Die Young, and To Tame a Land to your list..

Yea I and one of my best friends are going. Just wish they would drop some of the songs they play every show and replce them with lesser played live tunes such as Alexander the Great,The Prophecy,Invaders,Long Distance Runner,Sea of Madness,Deja vu,Infinite Dreams,Flash of the Blade,etc.

Im seeing the guys in Sydney a week tomorrow and I think im the same as most people in wanting to hear more tunes-or at least diff tunes from somewhere in time. To me wasted years and heaven can wait are probably the weakest tunes on the cd. They always do those ones. All in all its a pretty strong set list tho.

Though they play seven of those songs night after night, the other ten are worth paying to see performed, especially "Heaven Can Wait," "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner," and "Moonchild." I'm just pissed that this isn't coming anywhere near Chicago.

On another note, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who wants to hear more material from "Somewhere In Time." That's always been my favorite Maiden album, and even if others don't agree with me that it's their best, I'm sure most can agree that it's highly underrated and overlooked by the band.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Agreed...There is no need to play those songs when you have so much untaped material. Maybe just add LotLDR, Only the Good Die Young, and To Tame a Land to your list..

In fairness, they probably don't play India too often. I'm sure all the metalheads there appreciated a more mainstream, "best of" set.

Agreed -- pretty amazing! Of course that basically brought Dell's tech support to its knees..... :loco:

:lol: :lol:

Though they play seven of those songs night after night, the other ten are worth paying to see performed, especially "Heaven Can Wait," "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner," and "Moonchild." I'm just pissed that this isn't coming anywhere near Chicago.

Well, Toronto isn't *that* far from Chicago, heh. :) Seriously though, they will announce more North American dates at some point, almost certainly including one somewhere in the Chicago area. There is a lot of potential money to be made in bringing this tour to the US, and they're not going to leave all that money on the table by doing only 3 North American shows.

The setlist they played at the first show looked very interesting, and I would certainly not come away disappointed after seeing it... and it's probably a good one for Asia and Australia, where they have played limited shows in the past. But it would be really cool if they modified the setlist a bit for Europe and America, and replaced some of the songs they always play with some rarely-played gems. Though based on past experience, I'm not exactly betting on that happening, heh.

On another note, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who wants to hear more material from "Somewhere In Time." That's always been my favorite Maiden album, and even if others don't agree with me that it's their best, I'm sure most can agree that it's highly underrated and overlooked by the band.

I don't have one particular favorite Iron Maiden album, as they have put out so much great stuff, but Somewhere In Time was a very important album for me, as it was the first album I ever owned, and is basically the album that was responsible for me becoming a music fan at all. So, yeah, I definitely would enjoy hearing some more live material from it. I was fortunate to have seen them twice on their 1999 Ed Hunter tour where they played "Wasted Years" and even more incredibly, "Stranger In A Strange Land"... but this year is the first time since then that they are playing any material at all from Somewhere In Time.