Is A Clean Vocal Album Possible?

_Transparent_

May 29, 2001
London, England
Visit site
let me start by saying how great the growling vocals are BUT i really think that Mike can sing really good clean vocals.

its not only the vocals that change when he sings clean but the music also changes and was just wondering that an album or EP would be great with just clean vocals.
i wouldnt want opeth to change completely to clean vocals as the growls are great but maybe a small project could be possible?
What does everyone else think?

To tell u the truth as long as Opeth continue making music like they do now i dont care, keep it up.

If/when they do something like that, it won't say "Opeth" on the disc.

Hmm... what if they did a two CD album... the first one was 90% clean vocals, and the second CD was 90% growling vocals...

...the storyline could have some sort of shift between the first and second CD, perhaps, life to death, love to hate, going to parallel world, etc...

*shrug* just an idea.

But then again, maybe that's the concept for Death: Rebirth (I read on some opeth forum that this is the name of their next album, and it should be finished recording around May 2002.)

And while on that topic, has anybody else heard any rumors about the next opeth CD?

I think Lee will tell you that there was discussion (or maybe just Lee talking to himself) about a double album. I know I've read it somewhere. I think a double album of Opeth as-is would be great.

I love the dynamic that the clean / growl interaction brings.

I think that Mike's clean vocals are great, but they lack that dynamic and those changes of intonation that other singers have (ie. Daniel G. from Pain of Salvation)

Using both clean singing and growling is one of the things that makes listening to Opeth a unique experience. If they used only one of the two their songs wouldn't be as dynamic, and their artistry would suffer. If, however, they would decide to use only one style I would prefer it if they kept the grunts.

i dont think opeth will ever do a double album, that would be like over 2 (mouth watering) hours of heaven, so hang on why not, do a double album please.

oh and as mike featured as the main vocals on Brave Murder Day by Katatonia i would like to see katatonia featuring on one or two of Opeths songs, obviously that will never happen, but its a nice thought anyway.

Like others - purely clean would not be purely Opeth.

Unless, they decided on their own to do a clean vocal album. Then it would be Opeth, but we the listeners would have a hard time believing it. Why is that? Is it we take our first impression, and implant it as the answer, then any change becomes different? If we truely love Opeth as much as we seem, we would be open to anything they had to offer. If not, were we ever truely Opethians, or were we song lovers?

I would prefer if Mikael made an appearance on the next Katatonia album instead of having guests on Opeth albums, although Steven Wilson worked perfectly on Bleak and led to me becoming heavily interested in Porcupine Tree, I would prefer to see it remain a one-tie thing. And I see someone mentioned Pain Of Salvation, great band..

Yup, Pain of Salvation kicks.

However, I don't think that I would like Mikael to sing like Glidenlow. His vocals are awesome for Pain of Salvation, but they wouldn't fit too well with Opeth's music. They always have that autumn/winter somber feeling. Mikael's vocals partly define that feeling.

Originally posted by metalmancpa

Unless, they decided on their own to do a clean vocal album. Then it would be Opeth, but we the listeners would have a hard time believing it. Why is that? Is it we take our first impression, and implant it as the answer, then any change becomes different? If we truely love Opeth as much as we seem, we would be open to anything they had to offer. If not, were we ever truely Opethians, or were we song lovers?

I have never considered myself an "Opethian" in that sense. I have never been a "fan" of every band; i have just been a fan of the music the bands make - and that applies to Opeth as well. So, if they do something that I don't like, heck, I won't like it then - and I will let everyone know that! Not that I wouldn't be open to new ideas and different approaches to music, no. I just won't be an "Opethian" just because they are what they are - I am an Opethian because they do what they do.

-Villain

Originally posted by Villain

I have never been a "fan" of every band; i have just been a fan of the music the bands make - and that applies to Opeth as well. So, if they do something that I don't like, heck, I won't like it ...I am an Opethian because they do what they do.

-Villain

I, like you, magnate towards the music, not the band. If Opeth changes somehow, and I don't enjoy their new stufff, I guess I'll be stuck with the old stuff.

Today, Opeth is the most amazing "band" I listen to, and my favorite band. It was Grip Inc. a few years ago, Led Zeppelin when I was younger, and ??? tommorrow. But my favorite "songs" stick with me through time.

I would welcome a disc or two with only clean vocals and some grunts or roars. I also feel that Glidenlow is the best vocalist in the business right now and he would be able to adjust his singing to complement the music of Opeth.