Is Mindcrime considered to be the greatest metal album of all time?

All my favoUrite music is normally a combination of great songs + great musicianship.

great song + bad musicianship? I can take it.

bad song + great musicianship? I can leave it.

great song + great musicianship? Yes please.

JayKeeley said:
When NAD says he "dissects" the album, I think most metal musicians did when it came out. I spent hours transcribing them shitz. It's like the bible of metal. [/cliche]
yeah, it's my musician side that dissects it. but it's my drunken FUCK YEAH!!! side that headbangs uncontrollably to it.
lurch70 said:
question to you guys in bands ... when you are involved in songwriting, do you write to impress and to make your instrument stand out, or do you write to make the song as great as possible ... for the sake of the whole picture?
oh dude, my songs are 1 + 1 = 2 simple, seriously. 3 chords, verse-chorus-verse. when writing a bassline fitting the song is first, having fun is second, and showing off is third. generally my showing off amounts to one really tricky fill throughout an entire song. anything more than that is too wanky.
Dark One said:
It's all about getting chicks.
+11374091387917395 points :headbang:

JayKeeley said:
All my favoUrite music is normally a combination of great songs + great musicianship.

The way I see it is

If it's a great song, it needs ADEQUATE musicianship and no more. Music basically NEVER EVER needs the musicians showing off. Fenriz knows this, because he's a great fucking drummer but he's been playing straight blastbeats and 4/4 beats for 15 years now because that's what the god damn songs needed.

JayKeeley said:

YES. so god damn yes. which is why i don't have any whacky bass theatrics albums, other than Michael Manring who GUESS WHAT!?!? cares more about the song than playing 239572938 different harmonics (like he can).

Erik said:
OK but I haven't heard those songs.

Get out.

Megadeth look and act like fuckin poofters and would sooner listen to Aerosmith than Motörhead, you know.

Hey, it was the 80's. :loco:

1st.jpg

Mustaine-James.jpg

oh man i'm listening to Poison was the Cure right now and it's so much god damn better than this whole thread put together, and this whole thread is pretty aweome. awesome even.

Maybe

I've only heard Set the World Afire from that one album (and since I don't remember anything about it it must have been forgettable) but anyway I just don't believe that Megadeth is capable of thrashing. They don't have it in them... They don't come from that sort of musical background where they want to be uncompromising or brutal or do anything even mildly offensive.

BTW "Poison is the Cure" is from Rust in Peace so I have heard it because I've heard that entire album. I have also heard all of "Peace Sells", I think, except for the parts between I fell asleep and when the needle scraping against the end of side A made me wake up to turn the record over

Erik said:
Maybe

I've only heard Set the World Afire from that one album (and since I don't remember anything about it it must have been forgettable) but anyway I just don't believe that Megadeth is capable of thrashing. They don't have it in them... They don't come from that sort of musical background where they want to be uncompromising or brutal or do anything even mildly offensive.
orf, go listen to Killing is My Business. although if Peace Sells doesn't convince you i'm not sure what will. oh wait, maybe Killing is My Business. :dopey:

I LOVED YOU TO DEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATHTHH!!
WAWO!!!!

Best of all time? comment from earlier post was to be a ? not a ; as i typed it.. I'm not contradicting myself here. Mindcrime is NOT the best of all time as I said; merely a great concept album, nothing more. Best of all time is debatable depending on your listening preference. Is it the best METAL album of all time = NO NO NO NO NO