Is Mindcrime considered to be the greatest metal album of all time?

lurch70 said:
what Metallica had is a great team ... this is where Megadeth failed ... it was always A guy with OTHER musicians helping ... let's not kid ourselves
great team of what, Hetfield writing everything and Lars taking half credit for saying "yeah, that riff sounds good James." ?!?!

maybe i just fucking hate Lars but i've seen it like that. someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

great team of what, Hetfield writing everything and Lars taking half credit for saying "yeah, that riff sounds good James." ?!?!
Nah, a great team of Mustaine pilfering old Mustaine riffs without credit and Kirk digging out his old Exodus riffs. :loco:

I love boobies said:

:lol: x a squillion

This is actually quite true. Hetfield more or less deemed Ulrich his first general as these two were the founding fathers of the band. The songwriting credit partnership can be equated to the Beatles putting "Lennon/McCartney" as the writers to practically every song, even the ones where the other guy had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I love boobies said:

maybe i just fucking hate Lars but i've seen it like that. someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

you know what I mean ... no matter what it always sounded like Metallica, good or bad.

Megadeth, well ... there was alwyas something disjointed ... Countdown is probably the only record where I kind of "felt" a real band connection in their music ... if that makes any sense.

lurch70 said:
you know what I mean ... no matter what it always sounded like Metallica, good or bad.

Megadeth, well ... there was alwyas something disjointed ... Countdown is probably the only record where I kind of "felt" a real band connection in their music ... if that makes any sense.

I can follow along with what you mean lurch. Megadeth has always lacked the continuity that Metallica had in their heyday. Mustaine was a notable figure by himself much of the time (interviews, MTV gigs, etc.), whereas at least Metallica was always seen as a band back then.

i dunno man, maybe it's just the fact that i've dissected Rust in Peace six ways from Sunday over the past 13 years but that sort of epic simply cannot be created without every member of that band being complete in sync with one another. i mean that album continues to be an inspiration to me, as a musician and just an artist in general. the fact that every player has their own unique thing happening at every given moment just rings true about being a truly camaraderie effort. i mean even Menza's snare has more personality than most other guitar solos can hope for.

obviously, personal opinion. :loco:

Dark One said:
I can follow along with what you mean lurch. Megadeth has always lacked the continuity that Metallica had in their heyday. Mustaine was a notable figure by himself much of the time (interviews, MTV gigs, etc.), whereas at least Metallica was always seen as a band back then.

and that is hella important ... think of all the legendary bands that have been around and are still around for a long time ... most of them have intact lineups ... that stuff means something to people ...

Erik said:
Yeah OK he probably pulled off "One" live (and it's NOT really all that fast), but there's a reason they never played Dyers Eve live, and it isn't that it's a poor song

I don't know why they didn't play it live back then, but I guess they could only play so much from the Justice album. It's quite deceptive in that the ferocity of the song is in the drumming, not the guitar riffs. With that said, they did used to play "Fight Fire with Fire" quite competently.

I have no idea where this discussion is going. It's 1am here, so why you're not asleep is beyond me. :loco:

oh yeah, i'll never say Megadeth was a consistent band. i mean yeah i own all their albums but to be completely honest i could ditch them all other than Rust in Peace and Peace Sells. but still, i'd take a brief shining moment over a history of great-but-not-amazing run, ie: Metallica from 1983 to 1991 (yes i love the black album too).

JayKeeley said:
I don't know why they didn't play it live back then, but I guess they could only play so much from the Justice album. It's quite deceptive in that the ferocity of the song is in the drumming, not the guitar riffs. With that said, they did used to play "Fight Fire with Fire" quite competently.

I have no idea where this discussion is going. It's 1am here, so why you're not asleep is beyond me. :loco:
It's 06:56 and I'm not asleep because I can't be arsed to.

Fight Fire With Fire doesn't have double bass under the 2/4 stuff. I thought it was common knowledge that Lars had to use overdubs for the double bass to get Dyers Eve right in the studio.

Me, I have no school left this year now except an exam I'm retaking on the 22nd, so I can sleep or not sleep whenever the fuck I want to. :loco:

Dark One said:
So What??

:tickled: Just somehow seemed appropriate.
i totally left that reference open, because i knew we'd all get it. :kickass:

ugh, i'm pretty drunk and have to work in like ... oh shit 10 hours, i have time for another beer! :lol:

MOP and RIB are the only two discs that to this day give me goosebumps when in the right mood ...

no others have come close.