Is Mindcrime considered to be the greatest metal album of all time?

Erik said:
I really think Seasons in the Abyss is pretty uninspired and was definitely the beginning of the end for Slayer, but I'm not going to write that because NAD will be mad at me
Seasons is like, okay we're no longer a total THRASH METAL TERROR BAND, instead we're just a LET'S MAKE THE BEST METAL POSSIBLE WHILE DISREGARDING THE RULES THE 80'S GAVE US. so yeah, i can understand while some people don't like it, but on the other hand, in terms of just badass music, it can't be beat.

as much as RIB is my fave blood pumping one ... Hell Awaits and Haunting ... those two just kill in terms of defining their sound to me ...

I love boobies said:
Seasons is like, okay we're no longer a total THRASH METAL TERROR BAND, instead we're just a LET'S MAKE THE BEST METAL POSSIBLE WHILE DISREGARDING THE RULES THE 80'S GAVE US. so yeah, i can understand while some people don't like it, but on the other hand, in terms of just badass music, it can't be beat.
Basically the album breaks down like this for me:

THE GREAT:
War Ensemble
Seasons in the Abyss

THE RATHER GOOD:
Spirit in Black
Dead Skin Mask
Born of Fire
Hallowed Point
Blood Red

THE NOT VERY GOOD AT ALL:
Expendable Youth (why does this song even fucking exist)
Skeletons of Society (ditto)
Temptation

I don't understand where the first part of your post comes from because it is certainly more THRASH TERROR than South of Heaven but South of Heaven sounded a lot more inspired IMO.

lurch70 said:
as much as RIB is my fave blood pumping one ... Hell Awaits and Haunting ... those two just kill in terms of defining their sound to me ...
I'm pretty much completely with you.

TOP 3 SLAYER ALBUMS
1. Reign in Blood
2. Show No Mercy
3. Hell Awaits

my CD case of Seasons is so god damn metal. i mean i used to carry it around with me in high school just to say "yes, i have it" when we didn't even have portable CD players back then. ALSO i gave it to my black friend one day to borrow, and some black chick saw it and said "what is that shit?! metal sucks" and then she punched it, cracking the fuck out of the case thusly. my black friend said "YOU'RE A FUCKING my pals!!!" and stabbed her in the face with the broken shards of said Slayer case.

okay that last part didn't happen but still.

I love boobies said:
my CD case of Seasons is so god damn metal. i mean i used to carry it around with me in high school just to say "yes, i have it" when we didn't even have portable CD players back then. ALSO i gave it to my black friend one day to borrow, and some black chick saw it and said "what is that shit?! metal sucks" and then she punched it, cracking the fuck out of the case thusly. my black friend said "YOU'RE A FUCKING my pals!!!" and stabbed her in the face with the broken shards of said Slayer case.

okay that last part didn't happen but still.
that was such a fucking anticlimax can you please remove that last line and at least PRETEND it happened :cry:

I love boobies said:
LET'S MAKE THE BEST METAL POSSIBLE WHILE DISREGARDING THE RULES

Well that's just it, but some people here put genre category and volume level before overall quality of music. (Not naming anyone in this thread though, other than Erik and Lurch). :loco:

Actually, similar types of people also wrote off "South of Heaven" and "Seventh Son" back in the day for the same reasons.

'Ugh they've gone soft, too much attention to songs, we want more thrash!'. OR the classic, 'well it's good but it's no Number of the Beast'.

Haha, 2am and I have to hit the sack. It's Monday morning and....I don't have to go anywhere until Jan 3rd. :kickass:

Erik said:
that was such a fucking anticlimax can you please remove that last line and at least PRETEND it happened :cry:
well, i think he yelled at her. either way i was pissed and wanted to kill her, but never found out who she was.

OH SHIT actually i think it might have been the girl that the police shot in like 1998 at some gas station. if so, justice was served.

oh shit, South of Heaven. okay, i stayed away from that album for YEARS because people said it sucked. i think i finally bought it in like 2000. i got SO FUCKING PISSED when i played it because it fucking ruled!!!

seriously, what are people's problems with Silent Scream and Mandatory Suicide? i mean that shit is ACE ACE ACE.

JayKeeley said:
Well that's just it, but some people here put genre category and volume level before overall quality of music. (Not naming anyone in this thread though, other than Erik and Lurch). :loco:

Actually, similar types of people also wrote off "South of Heaven" and "Seventh Son" back in the day for the same reasons.

'Ugh they've gone soft, too much attention to songs, we want more thrash!'. OR the classic, 'well it's good but it's no Number of the Beast'.

Haha, 2am and I have to hit the sack. It's Monday morning and....I don't have to go anywhere until Jan 3rd. :kickass:
Yeah but you know

It's funny how I rate SOUTH OF HEAVEN far ABOVE "Seasons in the Abyss" then

I acknowledge that Seasons is "MORE THRASH" for what it's worth, I just think it's a bit UNINSPIRED

It's like "oh no fan backlash when we changed our style! ok guys lets compromise and try to make REIGN IN BLOOD PT.2 MIXED WITH SOUTH OF HEAVEN" and it just doesn't sound like their hearts were in it 100%.

Well that's just it, but some people here put genre category and volume level before overall quality of music. (Not naming anyone in this thread though, other than Erik and Lurch).

yeah but them songs are "songs" ... not 4 guys playing on their own terms :loco:

I love boobies said:
oh shit, South of Heaven. okay, i stayed away from that album for YEARS because people said it sucked. i think i finally bought it in like 2000. i got SO FUCKING PISSED when i played it because it fucking ruled!!!

seriously, what are people's problems with Silent Scream and Mandatory Suicide? i mean that shit is ACE ACE ACE.
Only wimps don't like South of Heaven. My only beef with it is that their Dissident Aggressor cover sucks. Forbidden got it right.

JayKeeley said:
LOLZ

you know the only Slayer album from 1983 to 1994 that i don't absolutely adore is Hell Awaits, but even that has Hardening of the Arteries so how bad can it be? i mean at 8/10 and it being a "disappointment" you gotta love Slayer.

Erik said:
It's like "oh no fan backlash when we changed our style! ok guys lets compromise and try to make REIGN IN BLOOD PT.2 MIXED WITH SOUTH OF HEAVEN" and it just doesn't sound like their hearts were in it 100%.

Well, if you really listen to it, as opposed to skipping through tracks like you do all your music, keep an ear out for Lombardo's drumming on "Seasons..." because if that doesn't sound like his heart was in it then I don't know what to tell you.

NP: Spirit in Black :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

Coils of the serpent unwind
Buried beneath you will find
Deep in the halls of the damned
Spirit in black till the journey's end

Mormagil said:
hahahahahahahaha good god
hahahaha
no really, some bint got capped. they said "she had a gun" but the bitch was PASSED OUT STONED. shit was fucked up.