Is Mindcrime considered to be the greatest metal album of all time?

i actually really dig that acoustic fade in thing. i mean yeah it's pretty "wtf where'd this come from" but i mean come one, you dudes know the stuff i listen to, it's like writing 9 different songs in 12 different keys then stapling everything together while completely loaded on shrooms.

I love boobies said:
i actually really dig that acoustic fade in thing. i mean yeah it's pretty "wtf where'd this come from" but i mean come one, you dudes know the stuff i listen to, it's like writing 9 different songs in 12 different keys then stapling everything together while completely loaded on shrooms.
It's just that I listen to approx 6000 bands that weave together acoustic/heavy parts completely effortlessly and this here Metallica song just sounds fucking clumsy and amateurish in comparison.

Erik said:
It's just that I listen to approx 6000 bands that weave together acoustic/heavy parts completely effortlessly and this here Metallica song just sounds fucking clumsy and amateurish in comparison.
understood.

fuckin oh yeah, House that Jack Built is like top 10 Metallica territory WTF.

Erik said:
Anyway if it wasn't Metallica that wrote it and if Cliff didn't die noone would give two shits about that track. It's basically fucking nothing when you get your nostalgia goggles off

No, all joking aside, you couldn't be further from the truth. That whole mid-section interlude (where it sounds like James is playing through a telephone for 15 seconds) is phenomenal because it keeps building and building, getting louder, and then James plays possibly his greatest guitar solo of all time (next to his lead in Orion perhaps). Eventually it reprises the intro riff and fades out to the acoustic medieval outro.

Hetfield's solos >> Kirk Hammet's solos (except Disposable Heroes of course)

Erik said:
Good track actually, but Leper Messiah edges it out (rather narrowly) IMO

Hmmm.... tough call actually (listening to both).

Man, with the possible exception of Shortest Straw, there are no tracks on the first four albums that I will ever tire of. They truly were an institution of crushing metal in the 80's.

I don't listen to music to hear flashy guitar shit and instrumental Metallica bores me. Well, Ktulu is OK, but overrated as shit (I hope Mike won't read this or I'll get beaten severely)

I like Metallica when they thrash, ok. They do not need to try to do epic instrumentals or girlie ballads because they fucking fail it.

Dark One said:
I hope you're not including "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" here.
Nah that one rules

JayKeeley said:
Which is practically never.
BLOOD WILL FOLLOW BLOOD

Seriously there are at least 4 complete raging thrashers on Master, and the first album is all THRASH THRASH THRASH and Justice has at least two and I like the techy shit on there as well to some extent. Ride the Lightning, well, it is what it is innit

CUZ YOU'RE METALLICA!!!

seriously that's like the gayest thing ever, but i totally cheered at the first (and only) time when i saw them in concert.

I love boobies said:
this is where we part company. :tickled:

those bends THOSE BENDS...... ugggghhhhh so amazing.

And Kirk Hammet's guitar solo (outro fretboard blitz of fury) defies gravity and all related downward pulling forces.

Seriously, I don't know how he goes from the 22nd fret to the 4th fret (and back) in a split nano-second, Joe Satriani coaching him in the studio or no.

Technicality aside, "Orion" is a highlight of Metallica's career. Plus it's the greatest metal instrumental of all time, duh.

lethal covers it. we sing "we'll never stop we'll never quite cause we're NOT metallica" but obviously we swiped that from destruction