Is Mindcrime considered to be the greatest metal album of all time?

JayKeeley said:
Technicality aside, "Orion" is a highlight of Metallica's career. Plus it's the greatest metal instrumental of all time, duh.
you need to listen to more King Crimson. :dopey:

edit: oh shitz you said "metal instrumental" in which case i'll say okay.

and I need to listen to more god damn darkthrone where noone gives a shit if it takes you 0.2 ms to move from the 27th fret to fucking chicago

sorry guys but RIP is not even in the same league as OM or MOP or RTL ...
RTL is my fave Metallica probably as well ... it has such a dark vibe to it.

Erik said:
Seriously there are at least 4 complete raging thrashers on Master

Battery, Disposable Diapers, Damage Inc, and what else? The title track?

Yeah, Hit the Lights was the first Metallica song I ever heard. "No life till leather, gonna hit the lights tonight". Love it in all it's Lemmy worship glory.

Erik said:
and I need to listen to more god damn darkthrone where noone gives a shit if it takes you 0.2 ms to move from the 27th fret to fucking chicago
hahaha

fretboard theatrics stopped impressing me probably 7 years ago, but every once in awhile i say "god damn that's some amazing shit." Metallica was rarely a band to impress me (note: i don't play guitar solos).

lurch70 said:
sorry guys but RIP is not even in the same league as OM or MOP or RTL ...
oh you're right, RIP is eons above any of this crap being discussed. the whole timeless aspect of it all, whereas all this stuff is like "yeah, pretty cool for being so 80's." :dopey:

lurch70 said:
don't take things too literally ... Hetfield's inner demons were never more evident then on RTL
what? fear of electrocution? some biblical shit about egypt and bushes of fire i dont even fuckin know what its about? being trapped under ice? getting caught for stealing riffs from exodus?

heheh ... stuff on RTL and MOP all made sense to me after I read in the early 90's about Hetfield's crazy family.
until then it was all literal to me as well

Erik said:
what? fear of electrocution? some biblical shit about egypt and bushes of fire i dont even fuckin know what its about? being trapped under ice?

And getting all their gear stolen at some train station. :lol: Cue Fade to Black.

getting caught for stealing riffs from exodus?

Haha, I'm pretty sure those were copyright Kirk Hammet Enterprises.

i always find it funny when discussions of "best metal ever" always gravitate back to Metallica. i guess it's sort of telling of their legacy, regardless of how much Lars looked like everyone's grammaw for the Load photo sessions.

lurch70 said:
heheh ... stuff on RTL and MOP all made sense to me after I read in the early 90's about Hetfield's crazy family.
until then it was all literal to me as well
You're probably right, I dunno, I always think of Metallica lyrics as being, well of no importance really

lolz @ people paying attention to thrash lyrics

YO' MOMMA MADE A MONSTER
NOW GET THE HELL OUTTA MY HOUSE

i mean come on.

lurch70 said:

I thought that became more apparent on Justice ("Dyers Eve") and s/t ("God that Failed").

"The God that Failed" is fucking BRILLIANT by the way.

JayKeeley said:
Haha, I'm pretty sure those were copyright Kirk Hammet Enterprises.
Ya but I dunno, I personally wouldn't go pilfer riffs off finished songs from my previous band for my new one even if I technically wrote and "own" the riffs. I mean Exodus was still active, they might want to record their song at a later point as well... Oh wait they did :dopey:

Erik said:
You're probably right, I dunno, I always think of Metallica lyrics as being, well of no importance really

i think even Hetfield said at one point that looking back at those 2 discs, they are very self revealing, but camouflaged in lyrics that are more universal ... hence making those discs the landmark releases that they are.