Is Novembers Doom the BEST band no one's heard of?

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Obviously, the people here know full well about this great band, but to much of the metal community, they remain an unknown. They should, of course, be mentioned in the same breath as Opeth, or any other big name...

Another band/artist that should be massive but remains under the radar is Glenn Hughes. Not similar at all to ND, but the man simply writes amazing songs.

I've always figured them to be a very popular band within the internet metal scene at the very least, all of the at least 5 message boards I frequent know of them in general. They are pretty well known, playing Day of the Equinox (they played that right?) and Heathen Crusade got word of them out a decent amount as well.

Even if they were not as popular as I think they are there are better bands in the metal world, mind you I adore ND's work for it brought me into the world of doom (especially the masterpiece that is Of Sculptured Ivy and Stone Flowers), but bands such as Morgion, Fungoid Stream, Dolorian, and Nortt I find to be better and generally less known as ND, and that is only in the realm of doom metal.

Anathema? Underrated?

That is sort of like calling My Dying Bride underrated. Crazy. Everyone who is truely in the metal scene knows of them, and most have heard of them and at least their first few releases are revered as classics.

I've always figured them to be a very popular band within the internet metal scene at the very least, all of the at least 5 message boards I frequent know of them in general. They are pretty well known, playing Day of the Equinox (they played that right?) and Heathen Crusade got word of them out a decent amount as well.

Even if they were not as popular as I think they are there are better bands in the metal world, mind you I adore ND's work for it brought me into the world of doom (especially the masterpiece that is Of Sculptured Ivy and Stone Flowers), but bands such as Morgion, Fungoid Stream, Dolorian, and Nortt I find to be better and generally less known as ND, and that is only in the realm of doom metal.

Novembers Doom, the kings of receiving backhanded compliments as always. LOL Oh well.

I don't think the issue should be whether or not there's 89349875 other bands who deserve more attention than they receive moreso than us, within the doom community (do I even need to mention how we're not really a part of that? lol) or the metal community at large. I appreciate Soundmaster's sentiments, of course every band wishes they could be more respected and have more notoriety, but all in all I feel that we're very fortunate to have gotten as far as we have, and that we have the fans that we do have, even the ones who have a knack for slapping us upside the head while complimenting us at the same time :lol:

The whole idea of being underrated and stuff is relative anyhow, for example thinking that an artist like Glenn Hughes is underrated or not popular enough seems logical to some, while others would say that the fact that he has sold millions of albums over the years combined (with Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Hughes/Thrall, etc etc.) would kinda negate that theory. In terms of him not receiving the attention he should as compared to other "huge" artists though, I definitely agree. Even bands like Anathema and My Dying Bride, while they may be popular in their own right, are not "big" on the same level that bands like Opeth are nowadays, and as such don't receive as much attention and accolades as them either. I think that was more to the point really.

Anyways, whether or not everyone here agrees or believes that we're "the best" unheard of band doesn't matter, as long as people enjoy us and show their support, and I think Soundmaster's point was really just to show support for us, not necessarily start a real debate over this. People's personal views on what's "best" and "unheard of" and all that are going to be so varied and different anyhow, what's the point?

but bands such as Morgion, Fungoid Stream, Dolorian, and Nortt I find to be better and generally less known as ND, and that is only in the realm of doom metal.

To compare us to these bands is silly. We don't sound like any of them. I can't even say we're in the same genre as them. It's a totally different style of metal, even if you do call it all "doom."

To compare us to these bands is silly. We don't sound like any of them. I can't even say we're in the same genre as them. It's a totally different style of metal, even if you do call it all "doom."

Oh I wasn't comparing you to them at all, just mentioning bands of the doom style that I feel are more underrated, less known, etc.

Mind you I'm not trying to demean the band in any way as I truely love ND (I wouldn't have a ND themed signature image if I didn't) and I tend to have more of an emotional connection with ND than any of those bands, just I find something about them "better."

It is odd, I listen to ND more but like those bands a tad bit better. I guess ND is alot easier to listen to than them. *shrugs*

EDIT:

Though considering how ND has changed over the years, I'm going to like certain albums more, Of Sculptured Ivy and Stone Flowers mostly. Those bands have relatively stayed the same style-wise, and therefore they put out more albums of the same ilk that I already know I'll enjoy. In someways I appreciate ND much more than them, especially for being one of my first "doom" bands, but also for not stagnating.

EDIT 2: I'll just shut up now :lol: I am so obviously tripping on my words.

NvmbrsDoom5 makes an excellent point. discussions about who's the best band and who deserves more credit then others are always very dubious. some people like bands more then others, there's no simply formula of how much fame a band should get based on their music.

then again do bands really want fame? all I would want is people to remember me for the music i made in twenty years, not for my status. I think the greatest reward isn't fame at all for a lot of underground bands. it's their fans, and seeing 500 people go crazy on their music while they perform live :)

but ofcourse, having said that I do believe ND and several other bands deserve more credit then their given. surviving in the underground scene is hard and more money never hurts anyone. as long as a band follows their own way of making music it's all good I say :)

I was just wondering why people always seem to find the need to say in either reviews or posts how ND just never quite measure up to other bands. I mean if you met these guys in person at a show you wouldn't say ( Oh my God you guys are awesome & then say but your just not as good as MDB!!!!!!!) No one WOULD ever say that to a bands face ever, so why do it on line?

I would agree that Novembers Doom is a wonderfull band and that they are overlooked.

I don't really think they sound like MDB or Opeth for that matter...

I don't really think they sound like MDB or Opeth for that matter...

While I agree with you, media outlets (IE - magazines, CD reviewers, websites, etc) will relate any band of a particular genre to that genre's most notorious bands.

ND for the most part in the media get referred to as a band in the "Death / Doom" genre. Therefore, the majority of better-known bands are overseas. Thus ND will be compared to early Anathema, Opeth, My Dying Bride, etc, etc.
Those more familiar though of course will say, "But they don't sound anything like those bands". It's just that the media writes reviews so the reader who might not be familiar will have a frame of reference.

I mean, if you were to compare ND to another band, you would compare them to the likes of MDB, as opposed to Saint Vitus or Pentagram, right?

Sorry for the rant. I guess I am just sort of considering the source whenever I see bands compared to bands that may not seem to always make sense.

Yknow what? Just saying "I like Novembers Doom" makes me plenty happy. Sometimes I wish people could leave it at just that! Rather than adding the whole "....buuuuut in comparison with Opeth, or MDB, or <insert European death-doom band name here> they're not as good, blah blah blah" hahaha

So yes, more simple stuff like "ND are cool" and "I like ND" is quite nice and appreciated, thank you :)

Well, do we want to take this a step further and say "why" we like Novembers Doom?

For me, it is primarily the vocals and lyrics.
That isn't meant to take anything away from the brilliant musicianship by any means.

As I said, it is for me, personally, and here is why.

As most of you know, I am primarily a power metal fan.
A few years back, after discovering Opeth, I explored into bands such as My Dying Bride and Katatonia.

Being from Chicago, I of course have heard "of" the band for MANY years.

After being exposed to bands mentioned above, I thought to myself, "you know what, maybe ND are for me"

I received THE KNOWING in a trade. ND were a lot heavier than I expected, plus I didn't know that they mixed both clean and harsh vocals. I liked what I had heard, but wasn't a fanboy......yet....

Once TPHD was released, I kept seeing it at Best Buy.
One day, I made a blind purchase without hearing a track, and the rest is history!

Lyrically, this album clicked with me like no other album ever has. My daughter was very young when the album was released, so one listen to "Autumn Reflection" and I was like, "Damn!!! Someone put to words how I have been feeling inside!"

Ok, some of you will be like, "Awww shut up fanboy!" and that is fine.

I just figured I would take this a step further from making this a "ND Kicks Ass!" thread.

Yknow what? Just saying "I like Novembers Doom" makes me plenty happy. Sometimes I wish people could leave it at just that! Rather than adding the whole "....buuuuut in comparison with Opeth, or MDB, or <insert European death-doom band name here> they're not as good, blah blah blah" hahaha

So yes, more simple stuff like "ND are cool" and "I like ND" is quite nice and appreciated, thank you :)

You are absolutely welcome.