Is Novembers Doom the BEST band no one's heard of?

I don't really think they sound like MDB or Opeth for that matter...
I think ND nowadays sounds a bit similar to Opeth, but definitely not like MDB.
And I think too ND is underrated but hey, headlining a tour with Agalloch and Saturnus seems like a good sign.
In fact, it's probably one of the best tour packages ever !!! :loco:

Yes, Novembers Doom is one of the most unappreciated, however unfortunate, extreme metal bands around these days. I also used to think the same thing of Silent Enigma-era Anathema… look what happened to that band.

The thing is, it is almost insulting to my musical intelligence when I read some failed musician masquerading as a "critic" tell me who Novembers Doom is trying to sound like or by defining them as a band based solely on their influences. The informed opinion is that Novembers Doom is simply a contemporary of My Dying Bride (or whoever you want to mention). I'll never forget the first time I heard the band... at my friend Clint's house a LOOOONG time ago. I went to Tower the next day and bought "Of Sculptured Ivy..." and only then did I read in the liner notes that they lived probably 5 miles from me :)

Fuck music critics and their self-righteous blather. Listen to the band and make an informed decision as to whether or not you like them. Don’t allow yourself to be spoon-fed by any media type, especially the music media/industry – otherwise you’ll wind up listening to the Dave Matthews Band.

I discovered Novembers Doom a few hours ago through a gifted CD. (The Pale Haunt Departure)

Here's your newest fan, guys. :)

ND are Bad Assed!
I too, think they definitely deserve more credit.

I still can't see any connection to Nortt or even Morgion whatsoever.

What I like about them: The song structures, chord progressions, production, guitar sound, vocals, lyrics and over all vibe, add to that that they are a great bunch of guys and kick ass live.

Though I can hear some influences, I can't compare them to anyone in particular. They are origional in there own right, and that is very hard to come by these days.

\m/

We have our influences, and I'm quite proud of them, and don't mind people hearing them in our songs. It's only that most people never get them right! :D It's gotten to the point where I can pretty much figure it out now, like a little system of how it works.

Like when people say "I hear an Anathema "Silent Enigma" influence", in truth it's probably our Celtic Frost influences showing through, because "Silent..." is quite influenced by that as well. See what I mean?

Anyhow, it doesn't really bother me, as long as people think it's good ;)

Larry - Good point regarding hearing Frost through Anathema.
You can take that a step further and say, well, through Frost you might hear hints of Mercyful Fate and even some Sabbath, etc, etc.

Labeling a band is always dangerous.
I always laugh at the marketing approaches used by Victory Records these days. Now, they try to market all their bands to BOTH hardcore and metal audiences.

There will be some no-name hardcore band, and the CD will read, "For fans of Pantera, Shadows Fall, Sick of It All, Hatebreed, Killswitch Engage, Metallica, and Cradle of Filth" (Sounds ridiculous, but I have seen MANY CDs with that tag on them...)

Novembers Doom are unique in the fact that they don't sound like most US metal bands. Therefore, reviewers then almost have no choice but go to the better known bands, such as My Dying Bride, Opeth, Anathema, etc as a point of reference.

Not a bad league of bands to be compared to in my book......

As I've said many times, being compared to or put in the same league with bands like MDB or Opeth is a compliment. It's when we're written off as being nothing more than a rip-off or third rate copy of those bands that I feel is very unfair. People should spend less time worrying about what genre something fits into (or doesnt), and worry less about who a band does or doesnt sound like, and just base their opinions on whether or not the music sounds good to their ears and entertains them. Period.

It's when we're written off as being nothing more than a rip-off or third rate copy of those bands that I feel is very unfair.

Agreed. I think the reason why this would possibly happen is because ND are one of the few bands from North America who play a genre of metal that is predominately known by bands hailing from Europe.

Kind of the same reason why some US traditional metal bands like Jag Panzer for years have always been written off as Maiden clones.

To me, these are the bands that are truly the diamonds in the rough!!!

You guys are doing great. Glad to see the band getting much deserved recognition.

I think Sonata Arctica and Novembers Doom play off each other a lot. Tony K and Paul need to stop trying to copy each other.

And in the words of Chausser from A Knights Tale, "Without any further guilding the lilly..." /sarcasm