Is Opeth poetry?

Noc

Hordes from the Underdark
Dec 25, 2003
Italy
I was listening to Black Rose Immortal, last days...payng attention of the pronunciation, on the particular sound of the words. What do you think about their albums? Do you think it's poetry or do you think they compose only by inspiration? As we know, poetry has particular rules...do you think we can find those same rules in Opeth's production? As for me...there's a part of inspiration wich can't be apart from music but I also think there's a particular study in the position of the words.
Let me know ;)

I feel like a jackass, but many modern poems dont follow strict rules. There are lots of poems without rhyme scheme, rythm or metre.

For me, poetry means the expression of emotion, saying much with only few words, regardless of metre or scheme. If the author is possible to convey his feelings and ideas by words (choice of words, arrangement etc.) in an artistic manner, it is poetry.

And i'd definitely say that Mikael is capable of writing such poetry.

As far as I'm concerned, lyrics are just poetry set to music, and I think Opeth's lyrics definitely have a particularly poetic feel to them. A lot of poetry follows rules, but in no way do certain (or any) rules need to be followed to constitute poetry. Poetry is defined precisely by that spontaneous inspiration, and therefore I believe the best poetry comes when rules are ignored.

That said, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on which Opeth passages are particularly "poetic," and your reasoning behind it. I certainly think there's something to it.

I was reading Morningrise booklet...and i realized that morningrise is something wich gives you not only a thing to watch...but it puts in contact your brain with your thoughts, it makes you think. As far as i was reading Black Rose Immortal passages, i recognized i had already saw something like that. Opeth are very good in trasmitting sounds by words: to call, to sigh...also they give you a portrait of what is around, describing a world apart you must create in your mind to be comprensible. The night, a veil of stars, the light of the eye... I saw something like that in G.D'Annunzio, an italian poet, when he describes "the rain in the forest"; using words, he creates around you a new parallel dimension. Take a look at: It is cold in here. And also pay attention, in poetry, contraction is not allowd...and when Mikaels wants to give a particular touch to the sound, he won't use contractions. Let me know what you think. ;)

Is there something wrong? (if for my english...please, forgive me, i'm just learning)

mot- said:
I feel like a jackass, but many modern poems dont follow strict rules. There are lots of poems without rhyme scheme, rythm or metre.

For me, poetry means the expression of emotion, saying much with only few words, regardless of metre or scheme. If the author is possible to convey his feelings and ideas by words (choice of words, arrangement etc.) in an artistic manner, it is poetry.

And i'd definitely say that Mikael is capable of writing such poetry.
But the word artistic, or art, means design if you take the old greek meaning for it. Things with design have structure and follow some kind of rules. To make poetry without ANY rules is kind of dumb to me, because it's just anti-structure, or chaos. Children could make poetry without design easily. Rules don't necessarily have to consist of rhyme and metre either, they can be very complex and you may have to look for them. Anyway, enough of that, Opeth's lyrics could easily pass as poetry if you ask me. I am, however, much more of a melody person, and I think it matters much more how you say it than what is said.

but even tho a child could make a poem without useing any rules it would probably suck. i think its all in the emotion put into it, and what its about. i dont belive the rules matter that much, altho useing the rules usaly makes it better. and i do consider opeth poetry myself.

In my opinion, poetry is "perfect" when all the meaning conveyed in very few words, feelings and all that you've mentioned already, is expressed following rhythmic and rhyming patterns. I mean, this is just my own point of view and on this light I'm in the position to say that Benighted and, especially, Face of Melinda are Opeth's greatest poetical achievement. Observe!

Poetry is basically a piece of literature written in meter or verse. So, yes, I consider all vocals to be poetry, even metal, rap, and cannible corpse.

I'd say Opeth lyrics are most definitly poetry. I think that anything that conveys emotion could be poetry. There are no "rules" to poetry, some kinds of poems have a strict structure to them, others have no structure. It's all about what the reader feels and perceives while reading it.

Apprentice's Master said:
I agree. It's rather pointless. This can be said for many bands.

Opeth's lyrics sound more poetic to me than those of many bands. Why not discuss this? We need to give ourselves something to read/do while we're here, don't we?

segaszivos said:
Poetry is basically a piece of literature written in meter or verse. So, yes, I consider all vocals to be poetry, even metal, rap, and cannible corpse.

"Even metal, rap and cannibal corpse" bwhahahahaahahahahahahahhahahahaha