Is Opeth the best metal band at this moment?

So are they?

• YES

Votes: 46 54.8%
  • NO

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • Can't tell / maybe / not now but in the future they will be

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • The Lord of the Rings Kicked Ass

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Armageddon's Child
Opeth suffers from two major flaws that have kept them perpetually short of the elite level.

1. Many of their songs are not conceptually realized, for whatever reason. It's almost as if Mikeal has an idea about where he wants to go with his music, but that the idea never got beyond a sort of nebulous brainstorming stage, the end result being tenuously coherent pieces badly in need of a more defined vision and some significant editing. To the discriminating listener, Opeth's albums come across as unfinished. An unfortunate waste of considerable talents.

2. Mikeal seems to rely on the Opeth arrangement formula to carry his songs, eschewing the effort to create really memorable riffs. Instead, he churns out a lot of perfectly servicable but often rather generic riffs, hoping that the patented terraced dynamics and distorted/clean tradeoffs will be pleasant and distracting enough to draw attention away from the rather ho-hum riffs themselves.

Until Opeth fix these problems, they'll remain nothing more than a fairly interesting band with good ideas and flawed execution.

Even though I don't agree - your perception and determination of why Opeth are not that special to you was an interesting read :)

I'm certainly glad AC has shed off his prior infantine posturing and decided to go a little more in depth with his posts. good job. (pats on back)

As I indicated before, I live for discussions in aesthetics, so I will gladly address your post AC. I have a few concrete thoughts about your post now, but I'll have to postpone its exposition till later, perhaps tonight at about 11 PM eastern time (usa).

C'ya! (wouldn't want to be ya!) :tickled:

you did this once before in another thread -- you tried to outwit someone and i called you on it, and you still insist you're right, as if i was asking you if you were wrong. i see many a conflict in our future. :rolleyes:

You called me on something that wasn't precisely true, dearie. You said that no one had objected to Chedsey's comments about Opeth using a songwriting formula, when in point of fact, someone had called attention to that very fact, saying that Chedsey must like "verse-chorus" arrangements and that Opeth didn't use any formula. I tried to respond to the thread, but it had been removed.

And, if you really want to make an issue of it, using archaic words only makes sense when one is writing period dialect, it's either a.) dumb, or b.) impossibly pretentious under any other circumstances.

i was referring to when i said that off-key and off-pitch are used interchangeably among vocalists, and you just stated again that i was wrong, as if I would've said that without being a singer myself, dearie. whatever. let's drop this.

Originally posted by _Transparent_
YES!!! by far too. i feel sorry for those who dont think they are because im sure they're missing something. :rolleyes:

I'll tell you what we're missing: gullibility and naivete. :D

Seriously though, has it ever occurred to you that people have actually heard better music than Opeth?

Originally posted by samoniac
If you are talking about pure musicianship, then there may be better ones. But when we count the emotion, Opeth is unmatchable.

I personally find Opeth to be rather emotionally distant most of the time...

and they're mostly crap. I fail to feel the emotion in Nile, Demilich, Abigor.

Perhaps you can enlighten me.