Is opeth your favorite band????

the only goth metal band i listen to...i have their "sombre romantic" album and have been listening to it for some time...maybe more than five years. i still find the "museum of iscariot" track very moving...or maybe the "final lamenting kiss."
a decent act, and they are good at what they are doing. how is their second offering? worth checking out?

i have sombre romantic and elegant...and dying. both are fantastic. looking forward to their upcoming releases

the only goth metal band i listen to...i have their "sombre romantic" album and have been listening to it for some time...maybe more than five years. i still find the "museum of iscariot" track very moving...or maybe the "final lamenting kiss."
a decent act, and they are good at what they are doing. how is their second offering? worth checking out?

Worth checking out???? Dude, after 5 years all I have to say is that you're missing out on one of the most amazing albums. Elegant imo is actually the superior of the two, but only marginally. The Everlasting song is a whopping 20 min epic and really does go from quiet, moody and eerie soundscapes to all out crazy hell during the middle segment. It's all arranged incredibly well. My personal faves off the album are Our Wings Our Burning and The Kiss from God's Mouth. But there isn't a single, unworthy moment on the album.

As for Sombre - brilliant, yes. The opening movement is absolutely stunning piece of music and my jaw hit the floor in sheer awe upon first listen. I love A Poet's Tear's of Porcelain and Of Your Beauty.

And yes, the upcoming project from the band, Requim is currently my most anticipated album which was SUPPOSED to originally be out in 2006. But due to the ambition of the project (a whopping 3 album, simultaneous release!) I can understand the need for postponement.

I don't really like to refer to them as being Goth, either. They are more than that. There's some black metal, goth metal, operatic music and vocals and so much more. It's truly something beyond mere goth.

*And Metal Wrath...LMAO at your current video pick.

My fave has changed over the years, of course. The trail of faves is as follows , iirc:

Van Halen (approx. 1983)
Iron Maiden (approx 1985)
Metallica (approx. 1987)
Phish (ah, college...) (approx. 1992)
Nine Inch Nails (approx. 1996)
Iron Maiden (approx. 1998)
Opeth (approx. 2004)

To qualify as favorite, it meant I bought all the releases I could get my hands on (for the most part), played the records over and over, saw them in concert, and maybe bought some merch.

I would rank Opeth very high, but they have to compete with The Crown and, though they're a hip-hop group and only ever made one album, Blackstar.

thanks for the input alcapoth

:) No prob, Don. Just be sure to check it out one of these days - don't wait another 5 years lol.

I could never get into Virgin black... I bought both their albums on the recommendation of my cousin and enjoyed it enough, but there was never any real big deal about them for me.

Yeah, that's cool - you're not the first I heard that from. It really is an acquired taste for some. Lots of time needs to be spent with the music to really grasp what they're trying to do. LOTS of slow parts, but I LOVE classical music as well so it's no surprise I love this band.

Why??

This is my favorite Morbid Angel song, the video kicks so much ass!

I don't know, I gave it a view and I couldn't stop chuckling at their awkward facial expressions (of course, mainly the vocalist). It kinda came across cheesy to me and couldn't take them seriously, lol (are they even supposed to be taken seriously?). And THIS is Morbid Angel? Looks like they won't be a catering to my tastes (I've been meaning to check 'em out as Mike from Opeth has always highlighted them in interviews, etc.) Oh well...

my favourite bands so far:

Soundgarden (Superunkown era)
Marylin Manson (Antichrist Superstar owned ;) )
Tool (Aenima era)
Devin Townsend (Biomech being my favourite album)
Opeth (from 2000 until 2004 or so)
now: Devin Townsend, Opeth, Fates Warning, Psychotic Waltz....can't decide.

I don't know, I gave it a view and I couldn't stop chuckling at their awkward facial expressions (of course, mainly the vocalist). It kinda came across cheesy to me and couldn't take them seriously, lol (are they even supposed to be taken seriously?). And THIS is Morbid Angel? Looks like they won't be a catering to my tastes (I've been meaning to check 'em out as Mike from Opeth has always highlighted them in interviews, etc.) Oh well...

Morbid Angel kick ass! I have a few of their albums, they play a more mid-paced death metal with mid-range growls with some slayer-ish solos, and the riffs are top notch. Of course they are to be taken with a grain of salt or whatever, they are a death metal band with themes of satanic rituals and worships at altars and plagues and disease

you should check out more of their stuff

Opeth (by far)
Dead can Dance (since the mid1980s)
The Cure, The Smiths, Siouxie & the Banshees, Sisters of mercy (when Gothic was New Wave - yeah, I'm an old fart)
Arch Enemy
Dream Theater
Pro-Pain
Sepultura
Iron Maiden
Van Halen
Death
Paradise Lost
Marilyn Manson
My Dying Bride
The Gathering

absolutely.. Opeth is my favourite. and the others are:
Camel
Iron Maiden
Slayer
Mercyful Fate
Dark Tranquillity
Lynyrd Skynyrd
In Flames
and some Turkish bands that making ethnical music

It´s on my top five, along with Pink Floyd (My favourite), Nirvana, "Patricio Rey y sus Redonditos de Ricota" (Argentinian band) and "El Cuarteto de Nos" (Uruguayan band).