What is your SECOND favorite band?

Jul 28, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
Okay I'm assuming that, for the most part, everyone here would say that Opeth is their favorite band. But what is your SECOND favorite band, behind Opeth?

For years, my favorite band was Dream Theater. I still love those guys, but Opeth very easily took over that top spot after discovering them over the course of the last year or two. Matter of fact, DT has probably been bumped down to spot number three, now that I've discovered Porcupine Tree. So it would be Opeth, Porcupine Tree and then Dream Theater. How about everyone else here?

1. Opeth
2. My Dying Bride

[Interesting how both bands are playing at Metalrock Fest in august in the town where I always stay at that time of the year with my family :cool:]

According to my last.fm statistics, this is how the list continues:

3. Edge Of Sanity
4. Morbid Angel
5. Bal-sagoth
6. Death
7. Slayer
8. Megadeth
8. Sepultura
10. Paradise Lost

Although this does mean only the four or five earliest records by most of these bands. I am currently addicted to other, less known bands such as Deathspell Omega, Bishop of Hexen, The Ruins of Beverast, Nile, and In Mourning. And sooo many more..

I'm gonna have to go with King Crimson. Or Porcupine Tree. Can we pick composers? Maybe Shostakovich? My 2nd place is never permanent.....

I'm surprised no one has said Esoteric?

Impossible question. I have a lot of top 20 records from bands that are very inconsistent or not prolific. Opeth is both consistent and prolific, that's why I post here.

According to last.fm

1.Pink Floyd
2.Pain of Salvation
3.Opeth
4.Porcupine Tree
5.King Crimson/Radiohead

1. Slayer
2. Opeth
3. Lykathea Aflame (they have only one record but it's the best record ever)
4. Voivod
5. Sunn 0)))

6. HIM..... just kidding. To whoever listens to HIM: I hate you. You and the likes of you are the reason that band continues to exist. Oh my God, can there even be anything worse than HIM?

Opeth is also my 2nd favorite band, behind Metallica. I know, I know, they haven't put out anything great since '88, but their releases before that cement their position as my favorite band forever.