Is this music a fad

fuck no....there will be an audience for aggressive music no matter what decade it is.

unknown said:
I see myself 80 years old, sitting on a rocking chair on my front porch, wearing a Burzum shirt and saying, "Goddamn kids don't make black metal like they used to. Back in my day..."

This isn't miles away from how I am NOW:heh: Though I'm only half that old, technically!
Given that I've been listening to Metal in one form or another for over 25 years, I think it is well beyond a fad. To me, there is an almost timeless quality about Metal. I still listen to Killers, Melissa, Hell Awaits, Scream Bloody Gore, Pleasure to Kill, etc. and it NEVER sounds dated to me, despite, in some cases, being twenty or more years old already! As others have noted, I can never see myself not listening to Metal.

unknown said:
I see myself 80 years old, sitting on a rocking chair on my front porch, wearing a Burzum shirt and saying, "Goddamn kids don't make black metal like they used to. Back in my day..."

This isn't miles away from how I am NOW:heh: Though I'm only half that old, technically!
Given that I've been listening to Metal in one form or another for over 25 years, I think it is well beyond a fad. To me, there is an almost timeless quality about Metal. I still listen to Killers, Melissa, Hell Awaits, Scream Bloody Gore, Pleasure to Kill, etc. and it NEVER sounds dated to me, despite, in some cases, being twenty or more years old already! As others have noted, I can never see myself not listening to Metal.

my stepfather is 50 and still cranks alice cooper ,sabbath ,and ac/dc on vinyl.I got him into maiden and metallica ,but he doesnt like slayer? i guess most people get slower with time. pleasure to kill is gospel . doomsday for the decevier is my bible (desecrater is my favorite hymn) .:headbang: :kickass: :kickass: :puke:

OldScratch said:

I've noticed that some of those 20 year old releases have actually improved with time. However Maiden has not aged well.

In 50+ years I honestly see metal in the position that jazz music is today. It will be respected as an artform, and will be popular, yet not completely commericialized. It will always hover under the radar of the mainstream, while still retatining a large fanbase....
Perhaps metal has already reached this point?

hibernal_dream said:
I've noticed that some of those 20 year old releases have actually improved with time. However Maiden has not aged well.

I have had many an argument with people over the sometimes abysmal production of latter-day Black Metal, etc. To me there is nothing intrinsically 'evil' or 'grim' about complete noise! Thus, I like to drag out some classic 80's thrash or such and compare/contrast how powerful and brutal that music was...and they sure as hell weren't working with big budgets, etc. It does improve with age, and IMHO blows a lot of what is called "extreme" today away.

Classic Maiden still always works for me, but I can see what you mean in a way. Then again, I barely made it through Powerslave before I seriously lost interest in Maiden and moved on to faster, uglier and heavier things.

DeathsSweetEmbrace said:
In 50+ years I honestly see metal in the position that jazz music is today. It will be respected as an artform, and will be popular, yet not completely commericialized. It will always hover under the radar of the mainstream, while still retatining a large fanbase....
Perhaps metal has already reached this point?

I think this is a good point of view, although I think the "devil music" thing will never allow metal to be respected as much as Jazz.

Yeah, plus the way in which the two genres came about were very different, and so are their histories... And I don't know of many murders and hate crimes performed within any jazz community,do you?

Hypertricosis said:
up the irons! old irons that is

Seriously, what the fuck are you talking about? This isn't the "Iron Maiden Appreciation Thread".

Susperia said:
Yeah, plus the way in which the two genres came about were very different, and so are their histories... And I don't know of many murders and hate crimes performed within any jazz community,do you?

There's been plenty of violent crime in the jazz scene since its inception.

Give me some examples, I don't remember every hearing anything.

And I don't remember Jazz every being particularly controversial, other than the fact Black men were the forerunners of it.

Pfft. Jazz was pure evil to everyone's parents in the early 1900s, same as rock or heavy metal or rap were later down the line. The old dixieland sound was considered substantially boisterous by many at one point. Then there's the drug use associated with much of the scene later on (e.g. Coltrane). The word "jazz" was actually used as slang for sexual acts at one point. If you've still got grandparents who are alive and playing with a full deck, you should ask them about it some time.