I've got a problem...

DieForNothing

New Metal Member
Mar 4, 2008
hi, guys. im new here and i love opeth... they are by far one of the most talented bands i know!

BUT i really cant stand their screaming.. call me a pussy or whatever, but seriously.. its getting on my nerves! i love screaming in general, like triviums ascendancy... and in flames, but opeths death metal screaming is just too extreme for my liking!

my favourite album by them is... yeah, you guessed it - damnation. beautiful fucking album!

now, i was wondering if you guys could recommend some other songs for me, songs that don't have alot of screaming in them (just recently started liking Ghost of Perdition. thought the screaming ruins it abit, its still an awesome song).

i already know that the last song on Ghost Revieviers is a killer! help me out, please?

Face Of Melinda and To Bid You Farewell both have heavy riffs but no growls, and Bleak doesn't have too many growls in it.

hi, guys. im new here and i love opeth... they are by far one of the most talented bands i know!

BUT i really cant stand their screaming.. call me a pussy or whatever, but seriously.. its getting on my nerves! i love screaming in general, like triviums ascendancy... and in flames, but opeths death metal screaming is just too extreme for my liking!

my favourite album by them is... yeah, you guessed it - damnation. beautiful fucking album!

now, i was wondering if you guys could recommend some other songs for me, songs that don't have alot of screaming in them (just recently started liking Ghost of Perdition. thought the screaming ruins it abit, its still an awesome song).

i already know that the last song on Ghost Revieviers is a killer! help me out, please?

I did not like the screaming in Opeth, but then somewhere on this board someone compared it to "Distortion Vocals" and "Clean Vocals", just like a guitar. So I opened my mind, and let everything in and they became my favorite band of all time. Try Face of Melinda, and To Bid You Farewell is a great song off of Morningrise. Their is distortion vocals at the end of it, but a great song for 12 years old.

Welcome to the board, and get your ass to a show when they come around your part of the world. It is a religious experience.

Mix

Mikael isnt screaming, he is "growling" there is a significant difference. As to trivium I just cant respect that band since the singer cant actually scream during live sessions, it sounds retarded when he signs pull harder on the strings of the martyr, its on youtube you just chec k it up. and by in flames I hope you mean old in flames since Anders fridén cant scream/growl anymore properly, he lost that ability for some albums ago

I did not like the screaming in Opeth, but then somewhere on this board someone compared it to "Distortion Vocals" and "Clean Vocals", just like a guitar. So I opened my mind, and let everything in and they became my favorite band of all time. Try Face of Melinda, and To Bid You Farewell is a great song off of Morningrise. Their is distortion vocals at the end of it, but a great song for 12 years old.

Welcome to the board, and get your ass to a show when they come around your part of the world. It is a religious experience.

Mix

There are growls on TBYF?

There are growls on TBYF?

there aren't.

heres a list of sans growl songs, I have these in a playlist ;p

(let me know if I missed any)
A Fair Judgement - Deliverance
For Absent Friends - Deliverance

Benighted - Still Life
Face of Melinda - Still Life

Atonement - Ghost Reveries
Hours of Wealth - Ghost Reveries
Isolation Years - Ghost Reveries

Credence - My Arms Your Hearse
Epilogue - My Arms Your Hearse
Madrigal - My Arms Your Hearse
Remember Tomorrow - My Arms Your Hearse

Silhouette - Orchid

To Bid You Farewell - Morningrise

Harvest - Blackwater Park
Patterns in the Ivy - Blackwater Park
Patterns in the Ivy II - Blackwater Park
Still Day Beneath The Sun - Blackwater Park

Closure - Damnation
Death Whispered A Lullaby - Damnation
Ending Credits - Damnation
Hope Leaves - Damnation
In My Time Of Need - Damnation
To Rid The Disease - Damnation
Weakness - Damnation
Windowpane - Damnation

I left off prologue and requiem because.. they arent songs...

Learn to like the growls, and a whole new world of music will open up to you.

I think that Mikael's vocals are different because unlike other senseless screaming you can actual hear emotion in it, I dont know if its just me but thats what first came to mind when I heard Opeth. You'll eventually grow to like it, just keep listening

white cluster has growls at the VERY beginning.

O rly?

Yes I quite take your point, however what I meant was that once beyond the growls, it'd be just what this guy is looking for.

A preemptive strike to avoid flaming, As far as TBYF: I knew that there are no growls in that. However, the other bloke said that there were witch such conviction, and since I have far too much respect for the views of others and since I often find myself mistaken, I wondered what the hell was going on.

my answer to you is to simply keep listening. when i got into opeth i couldnt stand the growls, i bought MAYH for the clean parts. as time passed i got use to the growls and eventually didnt understand how i lived without the growls, and i was very prepared to accept opeth's next release still life as a whole.

this may sound silly at first, but buy all of the albums, then take a decent amount of time one each to completely take it all in. after a while i feel you will fall in love with mikael's growlie growls.:)

Had the very same problem as you when i was younger. I was embarrassed to listen to music with screaming in. But i was dragged to an opeth gig and basically i loved it ever since. Same with a couple of other friends i have dragged to an opeth gig. its just so impressive if you have never been introduced to that kind sound before and you see this guy on stage busting out some complex guitar work and doing those growls and beautiful clean vocals. Marvelous.