Jaxx 1/21 show was pretty good

Originally posted by Chromatose
I'll agree that the sound could have been much better.

but I have heard MUCH worse, overall it was decent enough for me.

though I really do doubt that the sound guys at jaxx know what they're doing.

I donno but I think they may have two different guys for sound. Maybe they alternate shows? Seems like half the shows I've been to have made full use of the AWESOME sound system jaxx has and half..haven't. Any know anything for sure?

Opeth fucking ruled!!!!!!!!!!
My personel Highlight was Advent!
But the 3 opening bands sucked! they were so boring i almost fell asleap! why didnt Opeth bring some decent bands with them??
Aside from the boring opening bands the show was great!

Originally posted by Lina
Jim, I didn't see you, even though we were on the look-out!
[/B]

And the girls I was with said you talked to them in the women's bathroom, you asked the Finn if she ever saw Impaled Nazarene? That you? They said you had on green makeup...

Originally posted by Jim LotFP
And the girls I was with said you talked to them in the women's bathroom, you asked the Finn if she ever saw Impaled Nazarene? That you? They said you had on green makeup...
wtf, no, that wasn't me. :lol:

My thoughts ...

Arrived there about an hour before doors were supposed to open, was part of the longest line I've ever seen at Jaxx and like everyone else was freezing my soul off.

Finally got inside and went straight to the farther right of the stage, I took a look back to the merch area to see what I was going to get and told my friend to save my place so that I could go and get shirts and hoodies for both of us.

I've seen Brave several times and they only get better with every performance, huge potential and hope for great things for them.

Tapping the Vein, well ... seeing the lead singer with a cup of tea on her hands walking around the stage before the performance was all the indication I needed to know they were going to suck. This is the kind of band that present themselves as "rock stars" and can't back it up with talent. They are more suited for an S/M club or something.

Paradise Lost ... hmmm, enjoyed some songs, especially the first one (Speak Just Words) but many of them sounded alike. Nick Holmes may have a dry sense of humor, but I think he also has an attitude problem, at least on stage. He said at one point something to the effect that some of the people on the first row looked as if they were on a different concert, to me that was not needed and it would have been good if someone would have said something back.

Opeth were great !!! I can't understand all the bitching about their performance. The sound may not have been the best, but it didn't diminish the overall presentation. And of all this "rushed" thing is bullcrap, most bands play their songs faster on a live setting. Why would they like to leave early from the club they caled "their second home" ???

Opeth ruled, played excellent and were really kind with their fans, that's all that matters.

Originally posted by Madkill
Paradise Lost ... hmmm, enjoyed some songs, especially the first one (Speak Just Words) but many of them sounded alike. Nick Holmes may have a dry sense of humor, but I think he also has an attitude problem, at least on stage. He said at one point something to the effect that some of the people on the first row looked as if they were on a different concert, to me that was not needed and it would have been good if someone would have said something back.

Opeth were great !!! I can't understand all the bitching about their performance. The sound may not have been the best, but it didn't diminish the overall presentation. And of all this "rushed" thing is bullcrap, most bands play their songs faster on a live setting. Why would they like to leave early from the club they caled "their second home" ???

I think Paradise Lost were at the wrong concert ;)

And I also can't understand their bitching!

Originally posted by poptartofdeath
I donno but I think they may have two different guys for sound. Maybe they alternate shows? Seems like half the shows I've been to have made full use of the AWESOME sound system jaxx has and half..haven't. Any know anything for sure?

the sound guy i seem to remember being the tall bald guy that normally acts like more of a security dude, standing around being watchful and all that ... If it was him, I've never seen him do sound before...

I had a great time last night. Both bands I came for were fantastic. I'm so glad I got to see Paradise Lost, since I've only listening to them for 8 years and they haven't played here in 10!! They were terrific, with Enchantment, Erased, Small Town Boy, and As I Die being the highlights for me. I dig Lacuna Coil, but I get the feeling they will be here again, whereas I can't see Paradise Lost coming back for a long time, so I'm glad they got to extend their set.

I'll have to agree with many others here and say that Advent was the highlight of the Opeth set for me. That song just sounded awesome live! A Fair Judgement ruled too, very cool vibe.

Yeah Jim, where the fuck were you?! Lina, Dune, and I kept an eye out for you whilst freezing or toes off, but apparently we needed to look for a circle of women. ;)

My thoughts on the Jaxx show are varied. Brave (an amazing local DC band) opened up with a great set, they play extremely well, I caught them is Chicago a few months back and they were spot on. Lina and Dune are good friends with their violinist Suvo, but he may as well have been unplugged he was so drowned out, their set was great regardless, and like every other guy I too have the hots for Michelle and she has a beautiful voice to boot.

I thought Tapping the Vein sucked, end.

Paradise Lost was good, but their set was a bit too long in anticipation of Opeth. The older material they played I’d never heard unfortunately, I’ll have to check them out more for sure.

Opeth by in large was awesome. There was the sound problems described though. I had to fight to hear Peter and after the Lepper Affinity Mikael even said about Advent, “This is the special out of tune version.” It was easy to tell that they weren’t entirely happy with the sound. Despite all that, I’m in agreement with others, who said Advent was the best, but Demon of the Fall was the most fun, the crowd always gets into it most.

Moral of the story, Opeth rockz me sockz.

dammit, I missed the show.. hopefully they'll be back again soon.

I do intend to see Dark Tranquillity though... DAMMIT

Originally posted by Lina
S4R and I waded our way over to see who it was, but I couldn't really hear his name. :s Sounded like KillKvissen. He said he only posts occasionally.
Make that "Gimmickless." Shit, I was way off. Sorry, man. :lol:

Gimmickless, did I see you leaving the floor early with half your clothes looking hobo?

Originally posted by Soul4Raziel
Yeah Jim, where the fuck were you?! Lina, Dune, and I kept an eye out for you whilst freezing or toes off, but apparently we needed to look for a circle of women. ;)

I spent most of the night at the end of the bar (near the little barrier by the end where the merch tables are)...

Spent TtV's set in the restaurant/pool room thingy talking to local bands.

Originally posted by Madkill
My thoughts ...

Arrived there about an hour before doors were supposed to open, was part of the longest line I've ever seen at Jaxx and like everyone else was freezing my soul off.

Finally got inside and went straight to the farther right of the stage, I took a look back to the merch area to see what I was going to get and told my friend to save my place so that I could go and get shirts and hoodies for both of us.

I've seen Brave several times and they only get better with every performance, huge potential and hope for great things for them.

Tapping the Vein, well ... seeing the lead singer with a cup of tea on her hands walking around the stage before the performance was all the indication I needed to know they were going to suck. This is the kind of band that present themselves as "rock stars" and can't back it up with talent. They are more suited for an S/M club or something.

Opeth ruled, played excellent and were really kind with their fans, that's all that matters.

Madkill, were you right next to the speakers on the right side? If so, I was standing behind you.