Jazz?

Larsson

He is risen
Feb 15, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
I have litened to Miles Davis lately and really like his music. The problem is I know next to nothing about the genre and wonder if anybody here have any recommendations.

I don't know too much about jazz either, but I listen to a lot of Miles Davis too.

Some other jazz artists that I like (and recommend) are:
Al di Meola(I was very lucky to see him live in September, 2005)
Jaco Pastorius
Soft Machine(more like jazz/prog-rock fusion)
Keith Jarrett
John Coltrane
Pat Metheny

Have you checked out Fredrik Thordendal's album "Sol Niger Within"?

Too much to say, and too lazy to say it :)

my fav. jazz

Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Oscar Peterson
Dave Brubeck
Charlie Hunter
Return to Forever
Phish
Al Di Meola
John Scofield
Sonny Rollins

the list goes on forever... look these names up on www.allmusic.com

Charles Mingus and John Coltrane are the first two names that come to mind.

I'd recommend the album 'Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus', by, of course, Charles Mingus.

Charles Mingus is, in my opinion, the greatest of all jazz composers and bassists.

Others:
Duke Ellington
Dave Brubeck (You have may heard his most famous song, "Take Five")
John Coltrane
Wes Montgomery
Dizzy Gillespie
Herbie Hancock
Thelonius Monk
Clifford Brown
Paul Desmond

Just a few. :)

While we're on the subject, can anyone recommend me some jazz-ish prog rock? I'm really not sure what I'm looking for (Devin Townsend's 'Bad Devil' comes to mind), but I've been curious about some jazz influenced prog for a while, and haven't been able to find too much on my own.

While Jazz is an amazing genre filled with brilliant music. I don't think it's something a metalhead needs to get into right away. I didn't really get into jazz until after I start listening to various prog-rock/fusion groups. If you like it right away, then kudos, but jazz is a genre often misunderstood, because the listener doesn't know what to listen for.

Misseriah said:
If you like it right away, then kudos, but jazz is a genre often misunderstood, because the listener doesn't know what to listen for.

i agree. not until recently have i started to pick up on it. jazz chords are very complex, with tons of interwoven melodies. not saying that non-jazz chords aren't and don't have...but jazz is an entirely different language.

John Coltrane - Love Supreme, Blue Train
Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Russell Malone - Playground
Esbjorn Svennson Trio - Anything.
Chick Corea - Also anything.
Thelonious Monk - See above.

I love jazz.

tynkkr said:
While we're on the subject, can anyone recommend me some jazz-ish prog rock? I'm really not sure what I'm looking for (Devin Townsend's 'Bad Devil' comes to mind), but I've been curious about some jazz influenced prog for a while, and haven't been able to find too much on my own.

Well that's funny - I was listening to "Bad Devil" as I read this.