Jobs

Bothering

The hole you're in.
Jan 4, 2008
Chicago, IL
Here is a topic that always interests me about people: What they do in life to survive. So, what do all of you do for a living? What are your past jobs? Do you live off of your wealthy parents and have no asirations to support yourself in life?

I know a lot of you are students, but I'm sure most of you work/have worked also.

These are just some questions...Feel free to add in things you've learned about life through the work you've done, the understandings that you've gained about people, ext.

Since I'm 17, I just get money from my parents when I need it, although I do want to get a part time job soon, maybe in the summer.

I'm a financial/credit/data analyst for a small financial services firm here in town. We mainly deal with pension plan terminations and do annuities placement for either the SPGA or SPIA markets. We also offer fiduciary services to organizations as well.

Here's my job description straight from my resume:
  • Track and maintain credit and financial information pertaining to the life insurance industry
  • Implement new analysis techniques and methodologies for proprietary systems
  • Develop commentary on insurance industry related financial and credit changes for clients
  • Assist in underwriting duties

http://www.qualifiedannuity.com

I've been working in the same damn grocery store for awhile now. However, since i'm 18, i will be attending college very soon. I can finally say bye to this shit hole job.

I am a field service supervisor for a boiler manufacturing company. As these are commercial boilers, I basically drive to their locations and service the equipment on site. I cover northern Ohio, western Pennsylvania, and western New York.

Translated movies for DVD subtittlles. Russian, Ukrainian, English.
Then I was a roject manager in adv. agency. It sucked and i hated it.
Planning to get back to movies translation. Also taking graphic design classes to get a job by graphig designer (genius, isn't it?)

Improvise. It's what I plan to do for a long time, but at this point I make little to no money for it. :erk:

So, I really need to find a job that actually pays money.

I currently work at Taco Bell. It sucks but its a job that pays decent. Its also close.

I'm not sure what I really want. I guess my dream job would to become a film critic or a critic of some kind (Just so I can start my reviews with, "Alright, this film sucks.") Maybe a high-school English teacher? I also thought about becomming a writer/journalist.

If I have to...I'll just prostitute my body.

I work as a dishwasher at Eat N Park. It fucking rules, I love it. I quit college for this, and everybody said it would suck but it is everything I expected it to be. I'm in the best shape of my life because of this job, it's easy and simple and fun and I get free food. I don't make much money, but I don't want much money. I'm happier with asceticism in the first place. I live off of my semi-wealthy daddy right now but as soon as I can find a house, I'm out. I'm not going to have any electricity and I'm contemplating building an outhouse instead of using plumbing. Use the library for entertainment. I'm also reading up on dumpster diving to further reduce my costs. All in all, the only things I'll have to pay for is taxes and food. And if I'm still working at Eat N Par, my food bill will be very low since I'll eat an assload of free food while working.

As for insights into people... well all anybody does at Eat N Park is complain out their ass. I kinda thought it was just kids in school who sit around and complain all day about where they're at but I guess it applies to the work place as well. I don't mind it but frankly I'm happy to be there and I like it. Also the interpersonal politics are majorly fucked, all everybody does is diss everybody else's capabilities.

I am a student getting a BFA to become a graphic/web designer (hopefully at a decent firm, but freelance would be OK for some time).

I work two seasonal jobs; in the Summer I work in guest relations at a local baseball park, and in fall/winter/some of spring I work at the local hockey/band arena. Both are cool enough.

I currently work at a public speaker. My presentation addresses middle school, high school, and college students about avoiding catastrophic injuries. It pays the bills (and buys my music), but it's not a career.

With that said, I recently graduated from college and looking for a paralegal job at a law firm. Until then the speaking gig will work just fine...

Got a McDonalds job application a couple weeks ago, can't find the time to fill it out.