Jon Oliva's Pain-New CD/Progpower UK 2007

Kong

Jan 23, 2004
Jon Oliva's Pain to headline Progpower UK 2007

It is will great honor that we can now confirm our headline appearance
at the one and only Progpower UK Festival on March 31, 2007. This festival is associated with the great Progpower USA festival, the premier festival in the US. While these festival's have different promoters, they share the same philosphy of delivering the highest quality experience for the fans!

We will perform 100 minutes of JOP songs as well as a continued
onslaught of Sava-classics.....of couse!

Ticket go on sale Jan 7, 2007.

http://www.progpoweruk.com/

In other news, we have finished mixing and are now mastering our sophmore release entitled "Maniacal Renderings" which will be released on AFM Records.
An EP, consisting of 2-new and 2-live JOP tracks will be released at the Bang-Your-Head Festival on June 23rd. The full length record is scheduled for release in early September. Please check the JOP website for updates and the summer tour schedule. Thanks and see you at PP USA!

www.jonoliva.net

:headbang:

I was a bit disappointed to read that they'd be headlining a tour that I couldn't make it to... ...but then I was cheered up by the announcement of a new album and EP. Can't wait!

-Tanelorn

I agree -- JOP wouldn't make it as headliners yet... ...but the backlog of Savatage and Dr. Burtcher definitely would do it. :)

I feel like wearing my Weapons of Mass Destruction t-shirt. :)

-Tanelorn

edgeofthorns said:
Jon Oliva can do anything he wants:headbang:

As far as I'm concerned he could make a PPUSA appearance every year and I'd applaud him and Glenn for it! :worship:

Fuckin' A - What EOT said. There is only ONE Mountain King!! All hail - Madness Reigns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would love to see him headline PPUSA.

Chris :headbang:

edgeofthorns said:
Jon Oliva can do anything he wants:headbang:

As far as I'm concerned he could make a PPUSA appearance every year and I'd applaud him and Glenn for it! :worship:

Heck, he need not even sing. Just ensconce him near the bar with a drink or three and let him tell stories. :)

At PP we thought he was one of the best raconteurs we'd ever heard. "Yeah, I was trouble in high school...enough so that my folks had to MOVE because of it......." :heh:

We are realists and there are those that feel we are not
deserving of a headline spot, but Europe is very
enthusiastic about JOP especially since we try very hard
to keep the Sava-Criss era history alive with a killer rotating
selection of the classics. That coupled with the 2nd release
from JOP is helping to bury any idea that 'Tage Mahal
was a one-off solo CD and that Oliva would not take
this project seriously for the long-haul. Recording "Maniacal
Renderings" was a team writing project with Jon at the helm.
It still has all the Oliva flavor and a whole lot more!

Changing record companies and booking agents has opened up
a whole new world of opportunities. Oliva is killing live, and there
is nothing in the old catalog of Sava-tunes that he is unwilling
to play. Certainly makes things exciting for the fans and the band!

Well I hope to see you guys sometime in the United States.

My initial reaction, is probably due to my experience with 'solo' projects. But until that notice I hadn't listened to any of your music, mostly because I just had only heard the name and didn't realize it was what it is. I think that the more people realize that you aren't just a 'solo' side project, but a true metal band, with their own style, who happens to also include works from its singers old work.

Admittedly, my first reaction when I saw that was 'are they chosing it because he will play Savatage material, or are they chosing it because of what the band has done with their original work.' If it was for the 'savatage' work, I was wondering what the status is of Savatage. What the other musicians in Savatage are doing, and why we don't see them touring or headlining that show. But if its for the good music that is coming out of Jon Oliva's Pain, along with the fact that we'd hear some of the Savatage songs, that's cool =)

Side Note: I hate the term 'solo project.' It takes away from the quality of the other musicians, without which, it would not be what it is.

We had a long think about who was right to headline PPUK 2007. It's only our second year, and I think that it will work very well. By the end of the evening, I'm sure that the fans (me included) will be ready for some JOP tunes (which sound very 'savatege-esque), and a serious dose of Savatage classics.

Like any bands/personality with a well-known back catalogue, people are bound to want to hear the classic Savatage stuff, but the new JOP will be well recieved I'm sure.

Roll on March 2007!

This might be a possibility - just waiting til June 20 or 22 when they release the schedule of matchesw for my soccer/football team (that's right, manowarfan1 is part owner of an english footie team, all $162 dollars worth, lol). Was planning on heading over for a few matches and some shows - this ProgPower show is shaping up nicely so far :)

Maybe this time in the UK I can actually see or do one "touristy" thing - well, I did go to Loch Ness - but hey that is Metal related coz Jimmy Page owned Boleskin House.

jeff

Kong said:
We are realists and there are those that feel we are not
deserving of a headline spot, but Europe is very
enthusiastic about JOP especially since we try very hard
to keep the Sava-Criss era history alive with a killer rotating
selection of the classics. That coupled with the 2nd release
from JOP is helping to bury any idea that 'Tage Mahal
was a one-off solo CD and that Oliva would not take
this project seriously for the long-haul. Recording "Maniacal
Renderings" was a team writing project with Jon at the helm.
It still has all the Oliva flavor and a whole lot more!

Changing record companies and booking agents has opened up
a whole new world of opportunities. Oliva is killing live, and there
is nothing in the old catalog of Sava-tunes that he is unwilling
to play. Certainly makes things exciting for the fans and the band!

The bottom line is, JOP is deserving of a headlinging spot! Jon has been doing this for over 20 years and has been very successful in doing it!

With that said, IMO the fans want to see JOP for both the original tunes and the Savaclassics. Whatever Jon does will have that Sava signature sound and that's what we expect. So, bring on both JOP originals and the Savaclassics! :headbang: