Katatonia fans' opinions of Opeth's 'Watershed'?

Not quite sure what I think of it yet, need a few more listens. I do like the first half but I start to lose interest somewhere in the middle.

Spot on...pluss I have to add that Opeth never can escape the fact that their music somehow ends up being boring in the end. It's good and sometimes great, but in the end..I end up with a yawn.
But glad people like it. I've always said that I hoped Opeth would get the appraise the deserve...I guess it comes a bit late, but sure..why not..huzzah!

no

I have listened to it nearly every day for the last 6 weeks or so, sometimes twice. I never grow tired of it!
I did this with TGCD also. That is why they are my two fave bands. Porcupine Tree is a close third :)

Axe is awesome, but I miss Lopez. I'm rather surprised when I read people on other forums saying how Lopez isn't missed and Axe's drumming is the best, etc. I felt that Lopez' style was integral to the music and really helped carry along certain parts and keep them interesting even when there was alot of repetition. Axe's drumming in other projects like Bloodbath is sublime and I love it, so I'm not knocking him at all. I just prefer Martin's drumming in Opeth, personally.

I enjoy the mellow material on "Watershed" the most. That's the stuff where Opeth really shines and connects with me personally.

Axe is awesome, but I miss Lopez. I'm rather surprised when I read people on other forums saying how Lopez isn't missed and Axe's drumming is the best, etc. I felt that Lopez' style was integral to the music and really helped carry along certain parts and keep them interesting even when there was alot of repetition. Axe's drumming in other projects like Bloodbath is sublime and I love it, so I'm not knocking him at all. I just prefer Martin's drumming in Opeth, personally.

I agree with you in certain ways. Axe does a pretty good fucking job in my opinion, nothing wrong with his work on the album. With that said, there have not been many drum parts that really stick into my head like some of the stuff Lopez did. Still a few nice parts though. I am a drummer and Lopez is probably my top influence, so seeing Lopez go really sucked for me. You have to realize that Lopez is Lopez and no one can ever replace him. The throne has been placed beneath Axe now and he is a great drummer. As I said before, he does a fantastic job on the album.

I've been listening to this album obsessively since I got it, and it's really growing on me. I love the atmosphere it has, and I'm really beginning to enjoy the progression within the songs, especially 'Hessian Peel'. I officially fucking love this album.

I haven't listened to Opeth in about 10 years and suddenly have renewed interest in the band. About to listen to the new album. I can't believe how similar the vocal style is to Jonas (or the other way around) liking it when he sings clean.

I might be in Sydney when they are playing so perhaps will go anyway.

I enjoy the mellow material on "Watershed" the most. That's the stuff where Opeth really shines and connects with me personally.

Okay I have to vent a little here. Opeth's subtle nuances are sometimes mistaken for repetition which angers me. I personally would recommend you listen to the music closer. Some music is meant to be background noise and some meant to be studied feverently for years, and everything inbetween those two extremes. Also, unless your band is Meshuggah or Dillinger Escape Plan, you're gonna repeat a few riffs. You guys in Novembers Doom, I imagine, would be the first to admit that. You're intelligent guys.

I was also one of those saying "I miss Lopez, Axe is not so good". And I still love and miss Lopez and probably still prefer him generally over Axe, but Axe's drumming on the new one is excellent, it's just different.. So here's to Axe, you won me over dude.
I could do with less circus music, and questionable song structure.
There's just this one short 'circus music' part in the whole almost 9-minute song, I like it, it fits i.m.o. and I like the fact that they chose to put it in there despite its 'oddness' and just went 'fuck you, we're gonna do what we want'. Just like the funny ending of "Burden". I'm not totally in love with this record yet, but I do admire Opeth for their courage and probably it will grow on me with time, I'm playing it a lot anyway.

Well, I'm pretty sure this is now in my top three favorite Opeth albums, after 'My Arms, Your Hearse' and 'Blackwater Park'. There's just something about it, a mood that's unique to it, and yet so very Opethian. Also, I think 'Hessian Peel' is one of their best put-together songs. The flow and progression is amazing. They seem to be saving the heavy moments until they really have an impact, as opposed to before, when I think they were heavy by default, and had soft moments here and there (except 'Damnation', of course). Doesn't mean it's better, of course, but I find myself really appreciating it, although I was kind of opposed to it at first.

Watershed is weird.

How many people love this album because it's Opeth?

I love Opeth, but I can not get into this album at all.