Katatonia fans' opinions of Opeth's 'Watershed'?

Watershed is weird.

How many people love this album because it's Opeth?

I love Opeth, but I can not get into this album at all.

I have to say I wouldn't have tried so hard to get into it if it wasn't Opeth. I've listened to it a lot lately and it might have grown on me slightly, but still I think its my least favorite album by them.

I like the new album a lot but as with most Opeth albums for me though I get bored listening to the whole album... Opeth is more a single tracking band for me, and I have to be in certain moods for them.
I fucking love the first 3 tracks more than anything off the last album.. but then the album fizzles out for me... Shoulda made it heavier.:p

The later half of the album starting with Porcelain Heart just gets weaker and weaker. The heavy part of Hessian Peel is good but nothing great, Hex Omega just fails. I feel like this album is a step toward Opeth becoming grounded in prog rock instead of death metal. A few more quick gripes with the new album:
1. Death vocals are far 'quieter' and screamy, not as deep and evil sounding. Sound low in the mix to me
2. Drums are way too loud

I agree with Larry here, I really do miss Lopez. But thats not to say anything bad about Axe at all, he is a phenomenal drummer. I think Axe is technically the better drummer, but Lopez just had a certain feel to his drumming with Opeth that no one can beat. If you listen to Watershed you will also see that Lopez never did a fill every half second like Axe does. Some people like that stuff and I guess it keeps the drumming interesting but I don't like showboating drummers and prefer Lopez's style, when he did do fills they were at the right time and they were awesome.

1. Hessian Peel rocks hard.
2. The growls in Heir Apparent are some of if not his best to date.
3. Drums sound fine, and the production is top notch.

I really like Watershed! Maybe a little change from their...uhum..."regular" sound. But since when has Opeth been regular? The record has some strange atmosphere I really can't describe. If it would be in one word it would be "bipolar" (as all Opeth's records). But this one is speciel in some way.

My favourite tracks are probably The Lotus Eater, Burden and Hessian Peel. :p

Fantastic album. Every song is great.

My favourite tracks are Heir Apparent, Lotus Eater and Hessian Peal.
If you haven't listened to it yet, do it!

after giving it a few spins my opinion is;
wow.
I think this is the best they've done since BWP (which i consider to be one of the best albums of all time..)
they have widened their sound a lot, but i really like it.
I love both the 70´s progier things and the 80´s hair metal clinging bits (for the first time Mike shows his true identity as cockrocker)
I really liked both peters guitar playing and Martins drums, but i really think they needed to.. renew themselves.
not sound wise, but member changes can often cause a new spark, and i think that is what it sounds like.
new blood = new influences and sounds..

anyway, i´ll stop rambling now.

after giving it a few spins my opinion is;
wow.
I think this is the best they've done since BWP (which i consider to be one of the best albums of all time..)
they have widened their sound a lot, but i really like it.
I love both the 70´s progier things and the 80´s hair metal clinging bits (for the first time Mike shows his true identity as cockrocker)
I really liked both peters guitar playing and Martins drums, but i really think they needed to.. renew themselves.
not sound wise, but member changes can often cause a new spark, and i think that is what it sounds like.
new blood = new influences and sounds..

anyway, i´ll stop rambling now.

Very true. This opeth is so fresh and totally awesome.

I just saw the rehearsal video's and I'm sooo glad to see Mikael said that The Lotus Eater represents the new opeth, 'cause I think it's one of the best songs that have been written in these days... by far.

Okay, I'm giving in.

I'm starting to feel the atmosphere around the album more and more.

It may even make my list at the end of the year.

not like that matters haha.

I've been listening to it a fair amount. I think it's a fairly solid album.. the songs are growing on me rapidly, and I absolutely love Coil. Lotus Eater & Heir Apparent equally as good.