Katatonia fans' opinions of Opeth's 'Watershed'?

I am pleased to announce to you, good forum dwellers, that there is an amazing Opeth tribute site out there. It is OWO(omgwtfopef). Now you're curious about the name I know...don't over analyze though. This is a tribute site made by big fans, for all the fans of Opeth. There are countless different pages and exciting features. A tribute to Mikes Mustache and a whole comic series based on Opeth, namely Opef...are just 2 of the fascinating things on this website. I must warn ye though...this is not taking a shot at Opeth at all, we love them, this for people that can take a joke and have a good laugh...so being closed minded won't really help you. And I suggest using Internet Explorer while viewing the website...if you use Firefox then you have to scroll down a bit on the first page to see the menu. I think that about raps it up...please check the website out...leave some feedback on here or on the websites guestbook.

Thank you for your time. I am now pleased to link you to, OWO:

http://www.omgwtfopef.tk/

Enjoy. :)

I think The Lotus Eater is what holds back this album imo. I would have rather had it replaced with Derelict Heards.

Cant believe what im reading.

The Lotus Eater isnt the best track on the album but it has lots of interesting twists and suprises and maybe the best growls on the album at 7.25.

Derelict Herds though, might be the worst track they have ever written. What a complete fucking boredom of an Opeth-song.
I know Per contributed to that song, and he must have written most of it cause I cant see Mike writing such a crappy and boring track.
To be honest it kinda sounds like another band trying to write an "Opeth-song".

Well I got used to it now, and actually would rather it stay over DH, but it's definitely no where near the best track on the album. Actually it's still in dead last for me.

Derelict Herds is a really good song i.m.o. It's a bit odd and I can see why they didn't put it on the album, but I really like the rhythm/groove of that song. Quality-wise definitely on par with the album i.m.o.

I personally don't like Axe's drumming at all. I think that he can't keep it simple enough at some points and he have to put some kind of rolls and tricks to everything. I liked Lopez's drumming more

I'm lovin` Watershed! I actually think its Opeths best yet - and i'm not a new fan. Its the most diverse and daring album they've done. I just love bands progressing! Hope they'll just continue on this path and never look back.

rofl noob

'The Lotus eater' kills, though the musical influence by Morbid Angel is still really great. Even 'Coil' in the opening is such a great song. Haven't followed yet the album with lyrix, 'coz there weren't in the original cd and have just downloaded from Metal Archives, but 'Watershed' sounds a lot better than the previous 'Ghost Reveries' that is definitely the cd I've played less from Opeth's discography. This last observation reminds me a lot of the period 'Still life' and before. Great come back. And the dvd is funny. This summer I'll finally catch 'em live at an open air fest, that's the first time for me, since I've always seen them in small clubs.

I personally don't like Axe's drumming at all. I think that he can't keep it simple enough at some points and he have to put some kind of rolls and tricks to everything. I liked Lopez's drumming more

I liked Lopez better too.
He had a really organic natural groovy and dynamic way of playing.

I miss all of that besides the groove in Axe's drumming. Axe is mostly very tight.
I like where it has taken Opeth, but focussing on the drums I prefer good ol' musical Lopez

What about the funky groove in TLE or the laid back groove in Hessian Peel? Or how about all his little nuances with his with his snare work like all the great ghost notes or rudiments he does? People got carried away when they heard his work for Bloodbath, and it overshadowed his actual work on Watershed.

well, I honestly can't figure out the reason why people worship Axe so much, he nails the blast beats perfectly but other than that it is just an average drummer..

What about the funky groove in TLE or the laid back groove in Hessian Peel? Or how about all his little nuances with his with his snare work like all the great ghost notes or rudiments he does? People got carried away when they heard his work for Bloodbath, and it overshadowed his actual work on Watershed.

I actually hardly know bloodbath at all, so in my case that's not true.
Still I think Lopez really played music, you can notice very well in the soft jazzy parts. Where I think Axe mostly just plays notes.
He's very good and there's some amazing grooves (TLE yes!) but I kinda miss the flow. It's like; the difference between playing heavy and "soft" is too small and it's too constant. You can just hear it's really a "rock"-drummer, where Lopez certainly had a more jazzy touch