KILLER Soldano VST Preamp

Ok. Last night I was a psyched to geek out and try this amazing sounding plugin on my system. I followed the signal chain posted by "Bereavement" (thank you), except that I'm plugging into an MBox2/PT8 XP Pro DAW. I even have the same pickups in my guitar, awesome.... had to wrap the VST's since PT is kinda gay and doesn't like them.

I have Schecter OMEN-7 with Seymour Duncan Jazz(Neck) and Seymour Duncan JB(Bridge).

I plug my guitar straight in my Mbox2.

The Software signal chain is
Waves RComp->BTE TS Secret -> SoloC->VoxengoBoogex load up Sperimental Framus Impulse

I followed the plugin settings exactly.

Engage Rec. on the audio channel.... and POOF!!!

Sounds nothing like the sample MP3 that was posted... "soldano%20test.mp3"

How can that be? Is there something with a few Master Fader inserts? Some fancy Ozone or L2 settings?

Perhaps my direct signal blows donkey, cause the MBox2 preamps might suck it?

I'm befuddled as of right now. Can anyone shed some light on this or better yet, Bereavement, could you post your guitar dry direct signal .wav? Then I could just drop it in and test to see if it really is my MBox2 and a shitty direct signal.

Since the guitar clips were all bounced down, I don't have the song's dry signal with me now.

I re-record a little clip with exact setting of the screenies I posted.
here are the dry signal and wet signal.

Dry

Wet

I didn't even use the C4(Andy Preset) in this clip, hope it helps.

as far as I know Mbox's preamp don't suck. at least it's at the same grade or only better to my M-audio DMP-3.

Perhaps you can post a clip for us to help? or did you record with full band instruments? it does matter a lot.
not to mention, the sample I posted were quad tracked.

I've been trying it and it's definitely a killer. The only problem is the noise. Do you have a method to avoid it?

greets!

I always have a noisegate in the first slot (I use the vstdynamics plugin that comes with cubase and use the "autogate" preset) and set the threshold somewhere like -60..-55dB, so its really doing pretty much nothing except blocking the pickup noise when guitar is not played.

I always have a noisegate in the first slot (I use the vstdynamics plugin that comes with cubase and use the "autogate" preset) and set the threshold somewhere like -60..-55dB, so its really doing pretty much nothing except blocking the pickup noise when guitar is not played.

Thankyou for the quick answer!

I was also using a noise gate but, even with it, there's a lot of noise coming from the plugin when not playing the guitar.

I'll try to tweak it more to see if I get better results.

greets!

Thankyou for the quick answer!

I was also using a noise gate but, even with it, there's a lot of noise coming from the plugin when not playing the guitar.

I'll try to tweak it more to see if I get better results.

greets!

Pretty basic thing but i will write it here for all readers ;)

Turn off your CRT when recording guitar.

And turn your guitar away from every source of electrostatic field.

Find that sweet spot where the noise is quietest.