Lack of studio updates?

Erik Erna

Sheriff Of T.S.G
Oct 22, 2004
Owl Farm
I've been wondering, what is up with the lack of studio updates? I'm not expecting full-blown explotation like In Flames did with A Sense Of Purpose, but I have The Itch. I really want to get the slightest glimpse into what this album is going to sound like. Just perhaps, they got a huge stockpile of Carlsberg and have all been incapacitated for the past month.

Or even maybe, the album is so amazing in sound that they knew releasing it would blow a cosmic rift in the space-time continuum. With superior Scandinavian eduction, they knew what such an impact could have on the world as a whole. So logically, this can never be released to the populace.

The worst case scenario, the pre-prpduction sucked them into the rift and we will never hear from the greatest band in the world again...Maybe I am overreacting and its just an oversight, eh...

FOR ODIN'S SAKE, POST AN UPDATE!!

I'm going to get drunk and cry now.

It's a fair comment - there could have been some more updates, but as with the earlier albums it's hard to find the right time and motivation. There have been some stuff on our Facebook page though, since it's easier to update.

Small video clip from Mikael's first day of recording vocals:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=289652785569

Studio updates from mr. B (ignore the poker part :p):
http://www.twitter.com/roguemusicse

There will be a making-of video covering the whole process of the album recording, but it's not edited yet.

It's a fair comment - there could have been some more updates, but as with the earlier albums it's hard to find the right time and motivation. There have been some stuff on our Facebook page though, since it's easier to update.

There will be a making-of video covering the whole process of the album recording, but it's not edited yet.

Thanks man, I would have never guessed to check Facebook. I tend to only visit the offical website, MySpace and here. Perhaps, it is my lack of heavy duty investigating.

Also, good to know my theories were wrong. However, tell me my Carlsberg idea was at least partially correct? Maybe? Come on...probably the greatest beer in the world...Theres the door, I'm going to go.

So does that mean that the album is finished already? o_O

Why is only Martin B.'s Twitter updated, can't you put the info. on the web-page? Although I guess it's not that important to talk about cinnamon rolls :lol:.

Stupid greatest metal band in the world. Here they are, screwing around recording an album without the decency to stop recording it and talk about recording it. If this crap keeps up I'm switching to In Flames. They at least have the decency to focus more on studio updates than, you know, writing compelling material.

Really, studio updates are great, but I'd really rather they just get the album done and give me that.

Stupid greatest metal band in the world. Here they are, screwing around recording an album without the decency to stop recording it and talk about recording it. If this crap keeps up I'm switching to In Flames. They at least have the decency to focus more on studio updates than, you know, writing compelling material.

Really, studio updates are great, but I'd really rather they just get the album done and give me that.

:lol: awesome.

Come on, who is interested in the album anyway, we want daily updates, we want to know what they are eating and shitting and so on. If there are no updates we have nothing to talk about and we actually need to do some work instead of going all day sniffing FB, website, forum, twitter and another sources of trashy info.
Whan the album comes out we just download it (maybe a few of us will actually buy it), listen to it a few times, rant about it (either is the best album in decades or they are sellouts) and after a while we just don't care and starting asking for more updates, more daily rant, etc...

Seriously, let the guys do what they do best, that is music... forget about daily updates, and other big brother stuff... that just spoils the fun and pleasure of discovering a new piece of art

i dont really care about the updates, but it does sort of worry me in a way. Before fiction came out and udring the recoring, the band seemed extremely excited and pleased and so forth, and that it would be extra super good and different. This time around, everything just sort of seemed to happen and we havent really heard that much. And the way i interpreted what has been said so far, they dont seem to be nearly as excited. Or did i get it all wrong?

Maybe they are just busy with all the album recording and 20th anniversary party... or a different vibe and mood... I'm not worried...

PS: And I was just trying to be sarcastic, but nothing personal, I'm actually connected almost all day to these internet means of communication...
PS2: Or I'm just pissed because I wanted to go to the party in Gothenburg but unfortunately I'm travelling on that same day...

New album IS coming out - what the fuck else do you need to know?

I never got an idea about those webisodes and shit like that, it was fun once, but it's got old very quick. Weekly updates? Samples? Fucking teasers? Ugh... Twitter was quite enough (although I hate that shit and use it to follow dt mainly).

Maybe I'm getting old, but I want the final product, not weekly updates.

Anyway we all are assholes like opinions - everyone's got one, you know?

Anything resembling a "lack of excitement" is probably related to them having been doing this for 20 years. Really, in that amount of time, things like recording an album must get pretty routine. They have said in the past that they don't really enjoy studio work, since it's a repetitive, methodical process of tracking what you've already written. I'm sure the writing was fun, and I'm sure that they (and we) are going to make sure that this next touring cycle fucking kills. Now is simply the time to be patient.

Anything resembling a "lack of excitement" is probably related to them having been doing this for 20 years. Really, in that amount of time, things like recording an album must get pretty routine. They have said in the past that they don't really enjoy studio work, since it's a repetitive, methodical process of tracking what you've already written. I'm sure the writing was fun, and I'm sure that they (and we) are going to make sure that this next touring cycle fucking kills. Now is simply the time to be patient.

Right on the spot. The percieved excitement before/during an album in the past really had more to do with how much time we (I) wanted to spend on writing enthusiastic press releases than anything else.

Naturally we have high expectations of the new album; otherwise we wouldn't be recording it, but studio time is rarely "fun" as such for us. It's hard work with a lot of pressure, and you tend to filter everything else out. I guess that this time I didn't really feel that the world needed yet another band saying how much ass their new songs kick - it'll be obivous in the near future anyway. :cool:

Also, there will be pretty extensive video documentation posted online the weeks before the album release. I'm not necessarly a fan of these "making of"-things, but I saw the first preview footage last night, and the director (known from another Gbg band) has done a great job.

Right on Niklas.
Personally I don't really care much about a shitload of updates, as long as they let us know things are progressing nicely. A lot of these internet kids didn't experience the pre-internet era where you just had to wait until an album was actually released before being able to hear the music. Same for interacting with bands and band members. If you were a tapetrader in the 1980s you would trade with people who are big names nowadays. Once the internet burst in the 1990s the impatience peaked and people started having a good place to bitch and whine about their impatience.
A blessing and a curse pur sang.

/end of old man's rant

Also, there will be pretty extensive video documentation posted online the weeks before the album release. I'm not necessarly a fan of these "making of"-things, but I saw the first preview footage last night, and the director (known from another Gbg band) has done a great job.

In my eyes "making of" isn't much more than a truncated version of "marketing of". I'm not calling the band members sellouts, not at all, but I figure that with every contract must come a few obligations and at some point you gotta do what the label wants you to do. But hey, all the better if it was well done.

In my eyes "making of" isn't much more than a truncated version of "marketing of". I'm not calling the band members sellouts, not at all, but I figure that with every contract must come a few obligations and at some point you gotta do what the label wants you to do. But hey, all the better if it was well done.

This is of course true. Some of us are not very comfortable with having cameras around, but for a lot of people out there, it's interesting to get a glimpse of the studio work, so it's not a huge sacrifice to have a friend putting together a professional and entertaining series of "webisodes" that will also build up anticipation for the album. If this in turn translates to more album sales and exposure, we'll have better chances to get good touring/festival offers (which is a VERY competitive thing right now), and then it's win-win and definitely worth the embarrasment of appearing all tired and sweaty on YouTube trying to play a guitar part right for the 10th time. :p

And no, there's no contractual obligation at all, but reality is that in order to keep going at this level (especially given the current state of the music industry), we need to promote the band, and that means doing things that wouldn't necessarly have been done without the marketing aspect. We've said no to a lot of stuff that would have been good exposure but just wasn't right - but most of these small things (signing sessions, interviews, video recordings, the occassional venture into sellout territory) aren't that exhausting, and they're part of the game.

the embarrasment of appearing all tired and sweaty on YouTube trying to play a guitar part right for the 10th time. :p
For the 10th time? Tsk tsk, one would think you could play your own songs. ;)

Btw, did anyone else notice the "negotiating with secret guest vocalist" thing on Mr. B's twitter?
I hope it's a man this time. Michael Jackson's ghost. That would sell like crazy.