Last movie you've watched

The 'Family Guy' movie, 'The Stewie Griffin Story' or a similar title. Alright, I thought, albeit more like an extended episode replete with all the asinine, desperately random and extraneous humour 'Family Guy' is so loved and hated for.

I saw Children of Men last night, and was extremely impressed. Best movie I've seen in ages. Everything about it was really well done; The direction, story, acting, the pace & suspense, the action scenes, the extended takes and realtime feel, the vision of the chaotic world at its end with no hope in sight, all of it. Nothing was overdone or cheesy.

Clive Owen was great as the disillusioned, depressed, cynical loner turned hero and Michael Caine was excellent as the eccentric hippie mate. The state of the world in 20 years time is exactly as you would imagine under the circumstances, the gloomy English setting is perfectly apocalyptic. I also liked the way a lot of things were left to the imagination instead of being spelled out. I need more films like this.

Anyone else seen it? Thoughts?

Yep, the movie was heavily discussed upon its UK release last September. It's incredible. Beautifully directed, quite stunning really.

People tend to read too much into it, but Spacey put in a great performance, and I think (for the most part) it was a good exploration of such a character. Parts of it were convoluted and contrived, and Mendes has a really disjointed direction style, but surely the overall impact, message and nuanced performances make it all worthwhile?

Good review of it. The overall impact was minor for me. But hey, I sort of enjoyed V is for Vendetta, and I dont mind an old Steven Seagal movie.

Yep, the movie was heavily discussed upon its UK release last September. It's incredible. Beautifully directed, quite stunning really.

It's only just come out on dvd here, and was only on at the cinemas for a very short time. Spewing I missed the original discussion. Damn this country and its location at the arse end of the world!

It's only just come out on dvd here, and was only on at the cinemas for a very short time. Spewing I missed the original discussion. Damn this country and its location at the arse end of the world!

You missed out, it was a fantastic experience.

^ For sure! It truly was an education in film making. They took a very dark script and ran a thread of very real humanity through the entire thing. In support of that they added the most visually accomplished direction I've ever seen - let us not forget some of the scenes are quite literally breathtaking in their flow and impact.

It's probably the best chunk of cinema I've seen in ten years.

There aren't many movies that I see these days that I think I must see at the cinema, but Children of Men was one for sure. I'm hoping it'll be shown in one of the art-house cinemas here again at some point, I'd love to go and watch it on a big screen with proper sound.

Saw quite a few movies recently, but the last one was 'Thank You For Smoking'. Very funny, and, maybe I'm looking into it too much, but it seemed very satirical. Lobbyists, opportunistic reporters and senators, politicians, spin doctors and their B.S. methods, health fanatics, ruthless corporate minds at work, law, order, modern monogamy (or perhaps just failed marriages), the general public, and others I forget just now are all attacked brilliantly.

Speaking of satire, 'Borat' was tremendous, I thought. There isn't much I can say that's been said already, but even the fact that Cohen was able to make a coherent plot out of such painfully real and hilarious encounters was impressive in itself. What I probably liked the most about 'Borat' was the largely universal appeal it generated. From the lowest common denominator to intellectual types alike, there was something to be loved and laughed at by everyone. Though a lot of it was very clever and satirical, some of it - to me, at least - just seemed crude and obscene for crudeness and obscenity's sake (but highly amusing nonetheless); while other parts were more sophisticated, albeit vaguely so. Which makes it pretty much perfect comedic entertainment, in my view.:)

I'll have to get round to seeing this 'Children of Men' many here are spewing such hyberbole over. I've read mixed reviews, and haven't actually met anyone that bothered to see it. Thus, I shall see for myself.

I'll have to get round to seeing this 'Children of Men' many here are spewing such hyberbole over. I've read mixed reviews, and haven't actually met anyone that bothered to see it. Thus, I shall see for myself.

I prefer to see movies than read reviews myself; most people are full of shit.
I'm not excluding myself from that list either :lol:

The sad thing about Borat is that you always seem like a jackass talking about the content when you are around fundamental christians; at least, that is my experience. God needs to teach his followers how to take a fucking joke.

I prefer to see movies than read reviews myself; most people are full of shit.
I'm not excluding myself from that list either :lol:

The sad thing about Borat is that you always seem like a jackass talking about the content when you are around fundamental christians; at least, that is my experience. God needs to teach his followers how to take a fucking joke.

True enough, but I like to have at least some kind of guide for what I spend my cash on. A lot of the time I find myself agreeing with many of the reviews I read, although to hugely varying degrees.

About 'Borat', that wouldn't surprise me at all, considering there are a lot of religious folk out there who are pompous idiots. (Besides, the fundamentalists tend to be jackasses by nature/definition.) However, I have met many who are quite the opposite. A close friend of mine who died recently was a devout Catholic his whole life, and many of us had almost no idea! I can proudly say that he had a wicked sense of humour. :)

I just saw Sunshine. It's stunning, infact I was stunned into silence for about an hour after it finished. I'm pretty sure I've just been educated on what makes a good movie, but I'm still sorta speechless.

I just saw Sunshine. It's stunning, infact I was stunned into silence for about an hour after it finished. I'm pretty sure I've just been educated on what makes a good movie, but I'm still sorta speechless.

This is the new Danny Boyle movie?

I read a wonderful article about it in the Guardian. I havent seen any press or advertisements over here however. It looks like a return to Kubrick and Tarkovsky science fiction--ethereal, pscyhological, probing. Not this ridiculous Star Wars (which I do love, but it is rather lame), Independence Day or Armageddon nonsense.

It is indeed. I've loved Boyle since Trainspotting, and combined with a script from Alex Garland (they wrote and directed 28 Days Later together) I was very excited about this movie when I first heard about it.

It's been given a delayed release in the US, from what I understand because test-audiences didn't enjoy it. As for the article - I'm glad you read it! Boyle himself rates Kubrick and Tarkovsky as his primary inspirations here, not to mention Scott with the first Alien movie. I think Sunshine transcends them all. It's quite subtle, even sort of wandering at times but I loved it. I'm still at a complete loss to verbalise what I'm thinking!

It is indeed. I've loved Boyle since Trainspotting, and combined with a script from Alex Garland (they wrote and directed 28 Days Later together) I was very excited about this movie when I first heard about it.

It's been given a delayed release in the US, from what I understand because test-audiences didn't enjoy it. As for the article - I'm glad you read it! Boyle himself rates Kubrick and Tarkovsky as his primary inspirations here, not to mention Scott with the first Alien movie. I think Sunshine transcends them all. It's quite subtle, even sort of wandering at times but I loved it. I'm still at a complete loss to verbalise what I'm thinking!

Well, I will have to see this immediately then. So it mixes the beauty and philosophical pondering of 2001 and Solaris, with the terror and action of Alien? What is it about besides space?

Trainspotting is a classic. I'm not a scot though, so I'm sure 90% of it flew over my head.

Boyle's movies are fantastic (save for 'The Beach', which I didn't enjoy as much. The book was probably better, from what I remember.). I loved '28 Days Later'. In fact, I reckon it's quite overlooked, and the sequel that Boyle is executive producing is also pretty intriguing. Still not seen 'Shallow Grave' all the way through, but I imagine I'd love it.
And Speed, if you got past the wegie accents, I'm sure you're bright enough to pick up on the sub-culture portrayed in 'Trainspotting' - a fucking classic indeed. It's worth pointing out that Carlyle seems capable of executing any role par excellence.

As for his latest, well, alls I can say is that it looks worth checking out. Speed, I'll quote from another source the plot of it (note: I think this is full of spoilers):
Fifty years into the future, the sun is failing, causing the Earth to begin to freeze. A spacecraft with a crew of eight men and women is launched as a last hope, carrying a bomb the size of Manhattan in order to re-ignite part of the sun. Seven years prior, a similar ship had been launched for the same mission, but contact was lost. When the crew of eight move toward the sun and out of radio contact with Earth, they discover the distress beacon of the ship that had been missing for seven years. After an informed decision, the crew decides that it is best to rendezvous with the stricken vessel in order to obtain the dark matter bomb from the earlier mission, but soon suffer accidents. Upon altering their path to reach Icarus I, a shield which protects them from the sun's rays is damaged, forcing them to fix the problem. Events unravel such that large quantities of the crew's oxygen supplies are damaged, meaning that only four crew members can make the journey to the Sun to deliver the payload.

Reminds me of an Arthur C. Clarke story, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

Edit: I now hear Cillian Murphy's in 'Sunshine'. Great.

He's excellent in it too.

Curt, I think the philosophical exploration is much more distant, but I felt it was very much there. I think the wonder of the suns beauty plays an immense part in the story. I'm still quite stunned, I ended up abolutely immersed in the movie.

Got a loan of the first 4 'Batman' movies, and have watched the first one so far. It's amazing how much one's perspective of a film can change from when they were a child. Really, this movie is a classic of its type. The hugest change from when I last saw it years ago was the effect of Jack Nicholson as 'The Joker'; his hammed-up role working to hilarious effect. I can't honestly remember laughing as much as I did today when I saw it as a wee bui. By stark contrast, Michael Keaton is fairly serious and reserved, and holds a strong performance as the psychologically trouble vigilante. Danny Elfman's wonderful score truly evokes the gothic drama from such a film (equally, Prince's funky tunes work amusingly well in the 'The Joker's scenes of mischief). Also gothic was the encapsulating, compelling visualization of, erm, 'Gotham City'; a fittingly ominous and intricately designed setting (it's almost a distraction). Pacing was consistent, and the plot was straight out of a comic book, in the best possible sense.

On the whole the movie is pretty dark, sinister, foreboding and over the top, but with the likes of 'The Joker' and his comical crimes, it's saved from the pitfall of pomposity, in my opinion. And, it's funny to see the astounding change between the tone of this film and the uber-camp 60s' versions.:p

Well, that's enough of that gayness. I liked the movie, basically.:)

Watched 'Batman Returns' earlier. And, since I'm way too blzited jist noo, I'll comment on it tommorow.