Last movie you've watched

Death Note 1 and 2

I just recently started watching the anime after a friend described to me the premise. While these two movies differ slightly to the anime and the manga as well, it may ruin some of the better moments, or at least you can see more of what and how it happens in the anime.

Has a very interesting plot. Its about a book in which you can write the name of someone and they will die. It is found by the son of a police detective who is also very intelligent. Criminals soon begin to die.

Got a loan of the first 4 'Batman' movies, and have watched the first one so far. It's amazing how much one's perspective of a film can change from when they were a child. Really, this movie is a classic of its type. The hugest change from when I last saw it years ago was the effect of Jack Nicholson as 'The Joker'; his hammed-up role working to hilarious effect. I can't honestly remember laughing as much as I did today when I saw it as a wee bui. By stark contrast, Michael Keaton is fairly serious and reserved, and holds a strong performance as the psychologically trouble vigilante. Danny Elfman's wonderful score truly evokes the gothic drama from such a film (equally, Prince's funky tunes work amusingly well in the 'The Joker's scenes of mischief). Also gothic was the encapsulating, compelling visualization of, erm, 'Gotham City'; a fittingly ominous and intricately designed setting (it's almost a distraction). Pacing was consistent, and the plot was straight out of a comic book, in the best possible sense.

On the whole the movie is pretty dark, sinister, foreboding and over the top, but with the likes of 'The Joker' and his comical crimes, it's saved from the pitfall of pomposity, in my opinion. And, it's funny to see the astounding change between the tone of this film and the uber-camp 60s' versions.:p

Well, that's enough of that gayness. I liked the movie, basically.:)

No, I totally agree with your review. It was a genius of a movie. Perhaps the only good superhero movie made.

I'm going to see Blades of Glory this evening on a date. I'm only going for the "you look like a 14yr old girl, but not hot" line. :)

Watched 'Batman Returns' earlier. And, since I'm way too blzited jist noo, I'll comment on it tommorow.

Woah. Vaguely remember posting that. Anyhoo, if anything, I reckon this movie was even more uber-dramatic and downright gothic than the first one. Largely, this could be attributed to the omnispresence of Elfman's truly fantastic score - oh so fitting to a distinctly Tim Burton flick. Interestingly enough, upon watching it I found a vid on the net with Elfman describing his work on the movie, and how intensive and vast his input was.

Two tragedy tales: Penguin and the Catwoman - with the latter touching on feminist rights, I presume - both aid the overall tone. Honestly, the scene where Michelle Pfeiffer breaks down before her transformation felt very intense, apocalyptic and, dare I say, heart-wrenching (and no, I won't blame my intoxication for this). Incidentally, it came as no surprise to see Stan Winston as the Penguin's make-up artist - a master at work. Danny Devito was pretty hammy as the aforesaid Penguin, like Jack Nicholson before him, and Pfeiffer came across as both pitiful and raucous. There's plenty more I could bullshit about this, but I'll just say it was a worthy sequel that, at the very least, matched the original on so many levels. I actually would've been happy enough if they left it alone as an untouchable legacy following this sequel, and hadn't bothered with 'Batman Forever' etc. But I'm a ponce like that.

Speed, I wouldn't quite go so far as to say the only good one, but it's nice to see other people's appreciation for such classics.

As for 'Batman Begins', I really did like it a lot. However - and call me stubborn for this - I preferred there to be a fair bit of mystique behind Batman's past, and thusly, the full-blown, graphic explanation of how he came to be felt unnecessary and even slightly disappointing on my part.:erk:

It was a more adult understanding of Batman and his origins, I'll grant you. For me the gravity of his situation and feelings added to my enjoyment of the movie - I'm a slave for that sort of mature understanding of characters and their modi operandi. I can see your point, though.

It was a more adult understanding of Batman and his origins, I'll grant you. For me the gravity of his situation and feelings added to my enjoyment of the movie - I'm a slave for that sort of mature understanding of characters and their modi operandi. I can see your point, though.

It was very well-done (Batman Returns), but I didnt care for the finale. I loved the character development, the acting and aesthetics was first rate, but the actual plot (apart from his becoming Batman) was kind of weak. Tim Burton's short flashback to his childhood in the original, was far more effective and lent Batman a more mysterious, and still ludicrous air.

I dont know though, personally I dislike excessive backstories to explain the motives or characterizations of each character. This should be left up to the reader to imagine and figure out. Petronius, Apelius, Lucian, Aristophanes, Sophocles, Aeschylus (Im listing classic writers for a classicist!) etc, never bothered with these backstories, or had slight allusions; nothing more.

It was very well-done (Batman Returns), but I didnt care for the finale. I loved the character development, the acting and aesthetics was first rate, but the actual plot (apart from his becoming Batman) was kind of weak. Tim Burton's short flashback to his childhood in the original, was far more effective and lent Batman a more mysterious, and still ludicrous air.

I dont know though, personally I dislike excessive backstories to explain the motives or characterizations of each character. This should be left up to the reader to imagine and figure out. Petronius, Apelius, Lucian, Aristophanes, Sophocles, Aeschylus (Im listing classic writers for a classicist!) etc, never bothered with these backstories, or had slight allusions; nothing more.

Given the context of Batman, I suppose you could very well be correct. Perhaps it was wrong to ever think Batman needed a more mature treatise, so to speak.

On the greater notion of background and how it relates to characterisation, I believe our views overlap. I'm not an advocate of blatant and inelegant explanations for the modi operandi of characters either, but understanding their past (Batman being a relevant and good example) can help to render the character more fully. I don't think Nolan/Bale made the connexions here in a childish or blunt way, it had a nice flow to it. That said, mystery can be tantalising. I guess it depends on the situation, narrative and character.

edit: Having mused over this with some green tea, I think I'm a fan of good characterisation, but a narrative past is not exactly required. The way a character reacts to a situation can be enough, or even the use of imagery and metaphor (Miller's the Crucible springs to mind with the hot/cold imagery).

Just went to see 'Sunshine' (by myself, no less:lol: ) then left in awe and, frankly, drained. Epic, probing and slow-moving though it was, I found most of it very captivating and moving.

Comparisons between this and 'Alien' & '2001..' are fairly apparent throughout, with the sheer suspense and intense, jerky action of the former along with an overall claustrophobic feel and a visualization that was similar to both movies. The scenes shot in the interior of their ship(s) were very reminiscent of 'Alien' (even the distress beacon sounded like an emergency signal from the first 'Alien' movie...I might be wrong about that, though:p ). Another scene that really struck a chord with me was the almost subliminal flashes of Icarus 1's dead crew - an effectively subtle touch. Visually also, and more prominently, the Sun itself represented something that people mightn't consider on a regular basis: man's need for, fascination with and ultimate fear of its power; kind of a tangible god of sorts, if you like.

Performances were strong, showing some real humanity in such a detached situation, with the crew facing horrific dilemmas, thus forcing them to make clinically logical decisions. On the whole, I was moved and thought it was very powerful and thought-provoking.

Edit: Also, caught a trailer for '28 Weeks Later'. Looks entertaining (yet a lot of the plot appeared to be given away in the entire trailer..) in more of an action movie kind of way. It appeared less subtle, eerie and psychological - or "thinking man's zombie movie", as critics appeared to have dubbed it - than its predecessor, but I don't mind, since Boyle has overseen it and worked as executive producer...I think.
Robert Carlyle is featured, too. And that, in my book, automatically shows at least some promise.:p

I just saw Sunshine. It's stunning, infact I was stunned into silence for about an hour after it finished. I'm pretty sure I've just been educated on what makes a good movie, but I'm still sorta speechless.

I've been hearing many good things about this movie. Must see it asap.

I watched 2001 Maniacs last night. I thought it was quite good. It had Robert Englund in it so I knew I was in for a treat when I started watching it.

I just saw Shooter. I thought it was absolutely nails. It takes the cliche of Commando and Rambo, calls the main character Bob Lee Swagger and blows shit up for two hours. It's so OTT patriotic at times, it almost feels genuine.

He kicks blatant ass, and at times the childish honesty it's made with made me laugh, but it is just nails, fucking nails!

Just saw Curse of the Golden Flower. I was underwhelmed at the time, but I talked it over with my date on the walk home and it's settled a little in my head. It's visually brilliant, full of symbolism and beautiful direction (although still quite short of Hero) but the real strength lies in the Greek Tragedy of a storyline - beautifully executed.

So yeah, I liked it alot.