Legitimate Ghost Reveries Review

Protected Witness said:
So this person is not in the core fanbase, even though they actually take the time to come here and read/post amongst all of these nonsensical posts and signed up almost two years ago?

Sounds like you are just dissapointed cause they have it, and you don't.

Of couse I'm disappointed. What entitles random internet journalist #23 to have it more than myself, yourself, the kid down the street, the guys on here, that dude with downsyndrome etc.?

I'm disappointed with how these things frequently work. All the fanbase here have to deal with are stupidly low quality MONO rips that undermine everything Opeth are trying to do in the studio. That's hardly fair to anyone.

Protected Witness said:
If it didn't bother you, then why would you take the time to question the validity of it, or say that you could have just done the same thing yourself without actually hearing it?

Oh, that's right, because it does bother you.
Yes, it bothered me to the extent that upon reading the post I thought I might question it's validity or content. Though no where near the point where I'm becoming jealous or crying as a result of this guy's post. :Spin:

Moonlapse said:
Of couse I'm disappointed. What entitles random internet journalist #23 to have it more than myself, yourself, the kid down the street, the guys on here, that dude with downsyndrome etc.?

I'm disappointed with how these things frequently work. All the fanbase here have to deal with are stupidly low quality MONO rips that undermine everything Opeth are trying to do in the studio. That's hardly fair to anyone.

dude, noone's forcing you to listen to the poor quality rips. i agree with you, only in the sense that there should be one release date for all.

unfortunately, that's not how it goes. and roadrunner doesn't give the promos to anyone, no matter how big fans they are of the band, they give the promos to people they trust.

anyway, the band's point of view is probably: the album is out in 5 weeks, all our fans should get it then.
while the label's point of view is something like: we'll post some low quality stuff on the net, so that as many people as possible hear how cool the album must sound, and they buy it when it comes out; and we give out promos to people we trust, who can then advertise the album, having thoroughly listened to it

Yep, that's the general idea. Not necessarily people they trust, but moreso people they know can get a stir going about it.

About not being forced to listen to the rips. I know, I'm not listening to them. But what's disappointing is that other people ARE, and are drawing their opinions on the new record based on something that was streamed at 64kb Mono (even if the rip files themselves were stereo).

Patience is the key, young padawans, wouldn't it be so much better to walk down to your local cd store or go to your mailbox and find ghost reveries, stick it in ur player and listen to it the whole way through not knowing what to expect? I think it's the way it should be listened, and not by some crappy rips cos people can't feckin wait. Although I'm guilty of listening to TGC and GoP, but I ain't listening to no more till it comes out, when I can listen to the whole thing in perfect quality the way the band intended.

Apprentice's Master said:
I can overcome the temptation for sex, but I cannot resist any leak of Opeth songs.
sex can't really be called a temptation if nobody wants to have it with you

Moonlapse said:

Well, you make it sound like forumers and yourself deserve it moreso than other people. That is incredibly pretentious, since none of us are going to print up a magazine writeup, which is why the promos were handed out to these trusted folks in the first place. DUH. Do you think that your moderator status makes you more deserving than someone whose magazine will generate sales for the album? I can tell you what Roadrunner would have to say to that.

Protected Witness said:
Well, you make it sound like forumers and yourself deserve it moreso than other people. That is incredibly pretentious, since none of us are going to print up a magazine writeup, which is why the promos were handed out to these trusted folks in the first place. DUH. Do you think that your moderator status makes you more deserving than someone whose magazine will generate sales for the album? I can tell you what Roadrunner would have to say to that.

You totally misconstrued what I was trying to say. I'm trying to say that everyone deserves to listen to the release equally. All fans alike, whether they're on this forum or not. I'm not trying to say that I'm more deserving at all.

I understand what Roadrunner's angle on this probably is - it's the same with all labels. It's not like I'm at a loss to understand *why*. I'm just pissed off that it *is* this way. Not only that, but the promos get given out so ridiculously early. I mean there's over a month left to go till release! And the promos were given out weeks ago! That totally shits on the average fan.

Don't get me wrong though, it's not like I'm losing sleep over this - I have plenty of stuff to keep me busy until it's released. It just shits me to hear that others have already been given the opportunity to hear the releases simply through acquaintance and position.

Moonlapse said:
But what's disappointing is that other people [..] are drawing their opinions on the new record based on something that was streamed at 64kb Mono (even if the rip files themselves were stereo).

i think the main idea of the streams is that, people who have never heard opeth before get to know how good they are. i know they don't do the music justice, but they do offer a glimpse, and that's what tasters are for. of course they don't think about the fans, cos the fans buy the album anyway.
this may not be the best strategy, but that's the way it is.

about the promos: i don't think it "shits on the average fan"; think of it this way: the journalists and label employees get to hear it a month earlier, but you, the fan, get to really appreciate the music, maybe more than they ever will. i know it sounds cheesy, but to me, it's a perfect reason to wait another month.

as a personal sidenote, no opeth albums are available where i live. i got still life from a polish on-line store; and although mike said that roadrunner will get the album everywhere, i'm still skeptical, as i haven't seen many roadrunner cd's in stores here. so yea, i'm quite pissed off, too ;)