LionHeart- awful

Gregger said:
I think Blaze are probaly "dying" in the water looking at their line up problems wich is tragic
My neighbors are the only ones who are going to hate this album.
Lionheart trashers go away.
Send for the general there's witchces to burn!

-Mike
Take it up with me:
mveneck@optonline.net

or stickitupyourarse.com

1983 was still litering my pants. So let's F*ck good old metal and all hear evanecence(evakeken) and Cradle of Filth. No i prefer 1983.

If you think that Evanescence and Cradle Of Filch are all thats around today than you are seriously missing out... THe metal scene is burgeoning right now, theres good bands in every direction... Obviously you want to stick with the old stuff, fair do's, but your missing out...

Oh, and Lionheart is a stonker of an album...

Jesus, people on here need to chill out!!!

Firstly, Lionheart is a great album, up there with their best works I'd say.
I'm more of a fan of the 90s Saxon than the early 80s anyway, though I love that stuff too. The albums I listen to most are Metalhead, Unleash the Beast and the new one.

Secondly, the OD Saxon are comically bad compared to this Saxon. They haven't even got any good albums out.

Thirdly, the people that say Saxon are pandering to the record company etc are just chatting bollocks. I don't think Saxon think like that anymore. Their record sales are better than the early 90s and they are just writing what they want, its obvious. I love the Saxon sound now, its powerful and crisp. It is different from the early 80s stuff, but I think the Saxon style now and the old style compliement each other well.

I also think that Saxon are putting out much greater albums than other old bands like Judas Priest ( Demolition was horrific, Jugulator was good though ) and Iron Maiden ( disappointed with Dance of Death ).

If anyone saw Saxon at Wacken 2003 where they recorded the chronicles dvd, then they would know that Saxon still kick major arse live and sound as fresh as ever. They had 30000 people eating out of the palms of their hands.

Jonoleth, i just wanted to make an example(nice picture but nothing compeared to Sapator's!) yes i know that good bands are around(personally i don't like them but, hey! it's my oppinion) Dream Theater,Edguy,Iced Earth (mono o rab kserei poso mou aresoun) e.t.c but you are moving to the other edge if you don't listen to your roots.
Yes i want to stick to the old stuff any problem?!

I listen to my roots too, I'm not old enough to remember the 80s tbh but I definately dont negelct them musically, I just think your missing out if you ignore what we have today... Surely it works both ways? We must listen to old and new?

Jonoleth said:
Surely it works both ways? We must listen to old and new?
Just like Saxon played both old and new when the headlined Wacken a few months back.

Absolutely Correct!!!

I was also at the Saxon press release of Lionheart. Biff clearly stated when they write a Saxon album they consider all their fans, young and old. They try and include something for everyone.

I think Saxon have achieved this with Lionheart. It's a good solid metal album with modern production, yet clearly old school influenced.

I'm not old enough to remember the 80's too so i had to make the choice on the 90's when the 80's stuff were hounted like hell. I listened to old and new and i liked the old stuff. I'm not missing anything cuz i have a friend that is a metal MASTER(ela re rab)and he frequently suggest new albums and tunes for me.But they don't make me shiver like the old stuff.

Lionheart weak at first, after about 8xs playing it it rocks.Not as bad as Rock the nations!!! which is their worst album, the best is Innocence. English is the best track.o/d saxon are.....................................i wouldn't see them again. Yes i have seen them :-( please forgive me :yell: :( Anyway, of to see the real Saxon monday hope to meet them again get another picture maybe. :hotjump: :hotjump: :loco: :worship: :headbang:

Man, I agree with so many of you, and disagree with a select few...

But i ain't going down that road. Opinions are opinions - personal judgement and not factual.

Personally, I think 'LionHeart' is a great album, although not that surprizing. LH is the latest episode in an evolution that was conceived with 'Unleash The Beast'. The latest album is a natural progression from this era - 'Unleash', 'MetalHead', 'Killing Groung'. And, to me, this series of albums are more enjoyable than the aimless mid-eighties experience.

As for Biff and Co maintaining their NWOBHM sound -
The band have had numerous line up changes since that period, and I would be very concerned if the band did not alter and adjust its sound accordingly. I'd like to think that Nibbs, Doug etc. have some kind of influence on the band's sound (which they do!) otherwise they would simply be mindless, session musicians and the band itself would grow very stale and boring in no time at all.

I'd prefer to listen to a band that is brave enough to change and explore, as opposed to a band willing to stagnate in its own past glories!

ok here I am again... well its the 6th of October.... I have the CD in possession, another week waiting... my fingers are eaten entirely:erk: , .. I gonna listen now ...my review in a few days.. I read the lyrics already, they are excellent to me... I always speak for my self.. so I respect every other meaning.... the "Witchfinder General- lyric" does remind me of these nice history-lessons of my history-teacher in my school-days... What a terrible time .. imagine ..people think you are a witch... and you aren't..when you drown you are not a witch.. when you survive you are a witch.. nice people in power during that time..:yuk: this is what I like about those lyrics of Saxon... btw my teacher was not that kind of a Witchfinder General, he never had such a teacher-power strategy when it comes to bad behaving pupils.:D

Ok my review in a couple a days, I will listen now first ...then my review.. see you metalheads! bye

Just got my copy of Lion Heart today and one word " excellent" Gregger ? which copy do you have cause it's certainly not the one that I have.

Have to disagree with you on this one big guy

It :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Gregger said:
Sorry but I cant agree with any of you guys, the albumn is shite

Just been listening to it in the car again and almost chucked it out of the window.

Witchfinder General, 8/10, nice. The rest is EuroMeatal nonsense. Wheels of Steel it is not. Lionheart is OK for 1 min but the verese, bridge and chorus are soft as anyting. Do I hear softy keyboards in there.

To me, Saxon are doing what they did in the 80's again. Great start again with SBOR, DOW and by far their best release ULTB. But Metal head, 3 decent songs? Killing Ground , cant recall the playlist which must say something and Lionheart is a modern Destiny, much as someone is having a laugh on previous posts.

This all strikes me is the record company wanting something but the band bereft of ideas. Compare this to Motorheads "Inferno" whci is ball breaking, Blazes "Blood and Belief" which is awesome and the best albumn for 10+yearsTank's "Still at War". All belting metal albumns full of drive, desire and passion.

For the first time for 15 years I'm tempted not to go on Moanday cos we're going to have to listen at least 3 tracks of this cobblers before they play some good stuff.

I've listend to Saxon for 24 years and have 2 Saxon tattoo's but they've hit a low with this.

Much as it pains me to say it, Robbie Williams is better than LIonheart, including Radio. I enjoy his stuff more. May be its time for Saxon to take a rest until some Metal spirit is there.

heavycelli said:
ok here I am again... well its the 6th of October.... I have the CD in possession, another week waiting... my fingers are eaten entirely:erk: , .. I gonna listen now ...my review in a few days.. I read the lyrics already, they are excellent to me... I always speak for my self.. so I respect every other meaning.... the "Witchfinder General- lyric" does remind me of these nice history-lessons of my history-teacher in my school-days... What a terrible time .. imagine ..people think you are a witch... and you aren't..when you drown you are not a witch.. when you survive you are a witch.. nice people in power during that time..:yuk: this is what I like about those lyrics of Saxon... btw my teacher was not that kind of a Witchfinder General, he never had such a teacher-power strategy when it comes to bad behaving pupils.:D

Ok my review in a couple a days, I will listen now first ...then my review.. see you metalheads! bye
ok a little start here... my computer broke down for several weeks.... I am very content with this album..... Man and Machine, English Man on War, To live by the Sword, searching for Atlantis, Lionheart are my favourites on this album.. further I think its their best produced album ever, sounds like a whole... further comment asap (as soon as possible)

yes and Justice is also a cracker! just had to mention it......

Gregger said:
Well, that does it for me. Looking at the setlist from the European gigs. 6 to 9 (Jesus!) tracks from the new albumn.

I'll leave me money in my pocket and leave the Wolves gigs to you guys

Each to his own but tell me this. LAst 10 mins of life, do you listen to;

Crusader or Lionheart
Motorcycle man or Maon of War

You cant kid me that the early stuff doesn't piss all over the new albumn. Take the blinkers off...
In the last 10 minutes you should listen to Britney Spears.. so you're not going to miss life that much,at least as to music..

Back to the new album I gotta say I'm not incredibly impressed nor it's a bad one,Lionheart is a very good song imo,one of the best of the album,Killing Ground maybe had more memorable songs but even a couple of so so tracks.. you're right that Saxon now look especially at the german market and their last album smiled to the power metal albums in many points but they smiled to certain american hard rock in the eighties and they were really good albums anyway,I suggest you not to miss the last tour though,out of a 2,20h show you can resist listening 6 new songs(rarely they played 7),the show I saw last week in Italy had at least 24-25 songs with tons of classics,maybe too many imo cause I'd have wanted at least one track from the Killing Ground and another one off Unleash the beast(I dig that one).

And To live by the sword is a heavy tune dude,and it's cool live attached to Unleash the beast.

Hi everybody,back on the board after so many months(I started a poll for Saxon best song something two years ago..)

Stay heavy

Welcome back, Black Blood!
I agree with Heavycelli about the production of 'LionHeart' - it is just right. It is not overproduced, but not too raw. Vocals aside, there are not too many overlayers. Biff's voice is pretty natural on most of the tracks, and when it is textured with FX, it suits the song (Beyond The Grave comes to mind).
HeavyCelli - I wish my history teacher had been so interesting!
There was a movie called 'WitchFinder General' starring - I think - Vincent Price or/and Oliver Reed?

Anyway, I stand by my opinion of 'LionHeart' - It is a worthy companion - of a phase 3 Saxon - in a series of albums that began with 'Unleash The Beast'. There is not much that will surprise the hard-core fans on the album, but all the tracks are something to be proud of. Saxon have found their own unique sound. Some of it may have European ponderings, but is this something to be ashamed of? And, after all, much of the recent material features very, very English subject matter.
As for the comment of 'LionHeart' being like 'Destiny'? Well, I must have a very different version of 'Destiny'!
To me, 'LionHeart' has, at least, three classic Saxon tracks on it, and that is good enough for me.

nightwar said:
Welcome back, Black Blood!
I agree with Heavycelli about the production of 'LionHeart' - it is just right. It is not overproduced, but not too raw. Vocals aside, there are not too many overlayers. Biff's voice is pretty natural on most of the tracks, and when it is textured with FX, it suits the song (Beyond The Grave comes to mind).
HeavyCelli - I wish my history teacher had been so interesting!
There was a movie called 'WitchFinder General' starring - I think - Vincent Price or/and Oliver Reed?

Anyway, I stand by my opinion of 'LionHeart' - It is a worthy companion - of a phase 3 Saxon - in a series of albums that began with 'Unleash The Beast'. There is not much that will surprise the hard-core fans on the album, but all the tracks are something to be proud of. Saxon have found their own unique sound. Some of it may have European ponderings, but is this something to be ashamed of? And, after all, much of the recent material features very, very English subject matter.
As for the comment of 'LionHeart' being like 'Destiny'? Well, I must have a very different version of 'Destiny'!
To me, 'LionHeart' has, at least, three classic Saxon tracks on it, and that is good enough for me.
Thanks for the welcome back!
Actually I believe that Killing ground had a couple of tracks a little bit more different and I liked that,stuff like Shadows on the wall,Court of the.. on Lionheart I like Beyond the Grave and Lionheart over the other songs,and they're two of the most melodic tracks in the album,yup,there's a movie Witchfinder general with Vincent Price,Cathedral did a great song about Mattew Hopkins too, and in the videoclip they put little bits of the movie,it rocked,actually the Cathedral song is even better to me,one of the best Cathedral tracks though even the Saxon song is really good(even if misses something to me).Lionheart is a certainly good album,not as good as Unleash the beast or the 60% of Killing ground though..

The songs flying on the edge is an interesting one, another song about planes and flights and we know how Biff likes' em,this one is about a day one and a half year ago when the band performed two shows in the same day,a true story,one show was in Milan in the afternoon(if I'm not wrong not in Monza how it's written in the lyrics,I'm italian but couldn't go that time,one of the only two Gods of metal festival I missed in 10 years),the other was in Germany as the last band in the bill.. I believe it's been an epic day,no doubt about that..

Here is a piece of my mind...
The fact is that Saxon are still playing good music. This is not the '80s, this is not a new kind of music that kick in, hard as rock in the world's stomach. This is 2004. What Saxon recorded back then was something everybody was listening for the first time. Wheels of Steel and Denim and Leather and Strong Arm.... They set the standards, along with other groups of that era. No one can compare an early 80s album with 2004s "Lionheart". It is not correct. What matters is that they still play loud, they still play heavy and they still have several good ideas of how to make their songs sound unique. "Lionheart" is a good album for todays standards. It has powerful riffs, strong feeling and good production. Since Saxon choose not to follow another evolution (or revolution) in metal history, they write good music. My favourite album from their latest ones is "Unleash the Beast" (I think that it outshines the others by far) but I am happy with how "Lionheart" sounded (although it pretty much seemed they made another song planning on the "Crusader" hit), "To Live by the Sword" has power and the "Witchfinder" as the intro song is one that makes you wanna listen to the rest of the album.
"Lionheart" is a good one. Not one that writes history, but one that continues it.....

Hi all after reading most of the reveiws here I think your trying to find something in the music that is just not there, yes it's not the 80s and it is 2004, I think we ought to be glad that Saxon have not faded into obscurity like a lot of bands and are still putting out the kind of music that only they know how make Ass kickin Rock-n-Roll

I think the exspection level that people have about them is bit unrealistic to say that oh.... there trying to sound euro on this album ( whatever that is) or this is album is power metal is to try put them in a category, it drive's me :loco: when people do that if you ask me they ought to have there own category I don't think too many other bands out there sound like them.

What I like about the band the most is 'What you see is what you get' and that's pretty honest I don't think there going to bull-shit there fans.

You think?