Listening to metal and working out

SADUDE

lunatic of god's creation
Mar 20, 2002
Sorry if this thread has been done recently...it is hard keeping up with all the posts on ultimatemetal. Anyways, it is no secret that metal is the most brutal, adrenaline pumping music...which makes it great for lifting. Does anyone on here lift? What is your favorite bands, cd's, or songs to listen to when you lift? I like anything with a constant flow. Like the first two soilwork cd's, most of pantera's stuff, slayer, At The Gates, Amon Amarth, or Cannibal Corpse.

I've tried before, but most of the time I can't do it. Don't know why. I compete in powerlifting and strongman competitions and for me to excel during a lift or an event I need pure focus on the task at hand.

I'm a casual lifter, but I oft. find myself afflicted with the same ailment as mentioned by Mountain Man above. I agree that metal is very adrenaline inducing etc, but when lifting or aerobic exersizing, I find it too distracting to listen to. Often, i'll start listening to the music too much and my exersize or lift will slack, or i'll get TOO pumped-up by the music's energy and lose my discipline. So generally, I avoid metal music when exersizing. I usually don't listen to anything, and if I do, it's classical or easy going alternative.

I prefer listening to stuff like Katatonia and Nevermore when lifting or doing any other exercise. I don't find it distracting at all, it almost motivates a person more.

I do have music in the background while lifting but I don't do power lifting really,just low reps with many sets.I think like the one guy said it can motivate you to begin the lift.I think I usually listen to the chunky stuff when I lift or metal that is quick.Coroner,Testament,Dark Tranquility,too much to list.

I am very much into lifting weights. When I lift I like to listen to brutal, straightforward death metal, like Morbid Angel or Malevolent Creation; it really gets me pumped. I find technical death metal to be too distracting for lifting, but I do listen to it when doing cardio.

The local gym plays the same radio station all the time, which of course means it's non-stop watered-down crap music. It's trivial enough to tune it out, but on the occasions when I happen to notice it, it infuriates me enough that I push more energy into my routine. So maybe it's a good thing, I dunno.

I tried jogging while listening to an old rock tape I had (Tangier, maybe?), but it was too distracting. The quiet of the outdoors is good enough for running for me, it seems.

Ive been a serious weightlifter for 6 years- personally I like to listen to Strapping Young Lad, newer Samael, and older Fear Factory while lifting- slayer, and hypocrisy are good too- I think a good beat is quite important when lifting weights- as fast and furious as possible.

For me, thrash is best. I always take my Dark Angel, Anthrax, Testament, Slayer, Carnivore, Exodus, etc. with me whenever i work out. Also, weirdly enough, Progressive metal like Dream Theater, Queensryche, newer Savatage, Pain Of Salvation, etc. works well, too!

Of course, metal is great for weightlifting :headbang: brutal death metal is a bit too distracting, so I tend to stay away from it when i'm working out. I tend to listen to thrash or some straightforward death metal when i'm working out, like: Darkane, Death, Testament, (old) Soilwork and Terror 2000.

I prefer power or technical metal when I'm exercising in some way. Good hour and a half for me:

Luca Turilli - Prophet of the Last Eclipse
Spiral Architect - A Sceptic's Universe

Thrash/speed is also good, old Rage, Megadeth.

Old school death/thrash is what I like to listen to when lifting weights. It gets the adrenaline flowing... It just pumps me up.

Bands like Pestilence, Sacrifice, Old Death, Terrorizer, etc.

I agree with the topic starter Cannibal Corpse is great work out music albums like Butchered at Birth and Tomb of the mutilated just FORCE you to kick some ass lift some cars crush some skulls!

hammer smashed face == lift a car n throw it at your neighbor =D

I go to the gym almost everyday, I always have my ipod in hand (which I can't live without), Seven Tongues Of God by Nevermore always adds about 2-3 reps extra for me to whatever exersise I do, Dimmu Borgir, Kreator, Iced Earth, In Flames and Kenny Rogers..... No Kenny Rogers, just kidding!