Melodic Death Metal Bands?

You are so Metal. How can someone with so much musical knowledge already possibly need anymore?

I am not worthy. *Bows before TheNooseInYourEmptySoul*

Carcass - Heartwork and everything after it was melodic death.
At The Gates
Dark Tranquility
Vital Remains
Eternal Tears of Sorrow
(old) In Flames
The Crown
Soilwork

Definately Vehemence, check out "God Was Created" immediately. I would consider it "Brutal Technical Melodic Death Metal", definately a melodic band for the brutal death lovers.

Also In Flames are an obvious answer, they are very well known..... although don't immediately shun new In Flames, check it out unbiased if you already haven't heard it (which i seriously doubt.)

The only melo-death bands I'll listen are:

Amorphis (if they can be considered such)
Armageddon
At the Gates
Carcass (I guess the latter albums can be considered melo-death)
The Chasm (this is stretching it, but they have some melody ala Dissection; much better than your usual Gothenburg stuff)
Dark Tranquillity
Dissection
Edge of Sanity
Eucharist
In Flames (only get the pre-Anders Friden stuff, and maybe Jester Race)
Pandemonium (excellent new school melo-death with various vocal styles and a bit of prog)

That is all you'll ever need.

I'm into Arch Enemy and Children of Bodom... but I didn't really think they were melodic... I thought they were more power but they still rock.

I liked In Flames before songs like Cloud Connected and that other new shit came out... not really down with that.

Vital Remains' Dechristianize is a great album... or were you talking about pre-Benton Vital Remains?

Not really impressed with Darkane... dunno, not that I hate'm, just not really what I'm looking for.

Unanimated (Without a doubt the most unnoticed, underrated Swedish melodic death. Not to mention the best.IMO)
Lord Belial (Angelgrinder)
Sacramentum (Thy Black Destiny)
A Canorous Quintet (Definately check these guys out if you like Amon Amarth)
Necrophobic
Soul Demise

*recommends some albums*

In Flames - The Jester Race and Whoracle (maybe Colony, but everything after that is pure shit)
Carcass - Heartwork
Darkane - Expanding Senses
Arch Enemy - Black Earth (pre-Angel Gossow Arch Enemy kicks ass)
Dark Tranquility - The Gallery
Soilwork - The Chainheart Machine
Vehemence - God was Created
Dimension Zero - Silent Night Fever and This is Hell (Some people don't consider Dimension Zero melodic death, but I do :p)

The Duskfall
Earlier In Flames
Vital Remains, brutal death with a melodic twist, fucking awesome, well im talking about dechistianize anyway
The Crown
Earlier Soilwork
Darkane
Sins of Omission
Dissection
At The Gates
Dark Tranquillity
Skyfire
Farmakon
Thales
Hypocrisy (?)
Garden of Shadows
Incapacity
Omnium Gatherum
Arch Enemy
Earlier Amorphis

Dreamlord said:
Amorphis (if they can be considered such)
Armageddon
At the Gates
Carcass (later albums)
The Chasm (this is stretching it, but they have some melody ala Dissection; much better than your usual Gothenburg stuff)
Dark Tranquillity
Dissection
Edge of Sanity
Eucharist
In Flames (everything up to Jester Race)
Pandemonium
Unanimated
Lord Belial
Sacramentum
A Canorous Quintet
Necrophobic
Soul Demise
These are definitely the best lists. Try all those bands.

I also agree with the Vehemence recommendation.

Another one to try is The Abyss.